Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Saw an awful lot of Red Kites when driving across the Chilterns at the weekend - they seemed to peter out once we went south of Basingstoke, which is a shame as they are lovely to watch.

Apart from the regular visitors, we had a Jay plus some partridge, pheasant and grouse wandering the garden at various times.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

17-Nov-2015 10:33:32

Nead
Sep Member 2012

Nead

Posts: 20,472 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was on my lunch break yesterday, sitting in my truck, and I watched a bird pick up a leaf and seemingly test if it was edible. Either it wasn't suitable for a nest or it wasn't tasty enough, so he dropped it after a few beady-eyed stares into the nothingness and ******* shakes of his head; dropping it. Shortly after, another bird, whom he did not apparently warn of, picked up the same leaf and went through the same ten second life changing experience.

To be fair to these gentlemen, it looked like a seed at first. I wanted to feed them some of the bread I was eating, yet didn't wanna' be held responsible if one got hit in the parking lot. I'm sure they found tastier leaves seeds, elsewhere, anyways.

- Ornery Onions -
Prioritizing inclusion, friendliness and offering a helping hand to those that need it.

13-Dec-2015 05:21:30

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Who knows what they were doing! I don't think they'd be eating it though :P Maybe seeing if there was an insect under it?

Went up the road to look for the White Fronted Goose on Sunday but the wind was howling up there and they were all hunkered down so couldn't see it.

Finished work for Christmas today and early at that so went back up this afternoon and saw it if only for a few minutes before it dropped behind the rise in the field.

A fairly easy one to spot due to the white on its head while the greylag geese don't have any (well some have a very small band)

24-Dec-2015 00:12:34

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Haven't been anywhere to see anything for over a month due to the rain (and hence mud) which I was wary of skidding in, with two wrists in plaster casts that'd not be a good idea.

So just looking out the window at our feeding stations and grinding my teeth at the ever more inventive assaults by squirrels.

Did I ever mention at all that I dislike squirrels? Immensely?

Anyway, trapped 3 of the blighters in 3 days so am calming down a little and the small birds have returned.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

24-Dec-2015 00:41:06

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Poor Cat, I didn't realise you still had your plaster casts on.

Silly squirrels not giving Weasle Towers a wide berth. Don't your dogs chase them off?

I am glad we don't have to worry about our squirrels, they are so rarely seen that the birds don't need to worry about their food going missing. I wish I could say the same about the cats :@

I could hear a buzzard today, but the sun was so low and bright I couldn't see it.

24-Dec-2015 01:12:07 - Last edited on 24-Dec-2015 01:12:46 by Bernadette

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I was supposed to have them off today and get lightweight plastic splints, but the Hospital phoned to say my appointment was cancelled due to staff shortage and I've got to keep them until the new year. They are disgustingly grubby.

The dogs chase the squirrels when I open the door to let them out, but can't keep it open all the time in cold weather - too draughty! And of course the squirrels are relentless in their visits.

Bonus is, we never, ever get a cat in the garden (I assume they can smell dog even if they can't see dog). So that gives any nesting birds and fledgelings a good chance of surviving.

If the dogs see a baby bird they just stand and stare, sometimes bark at it for being weird and not flying away.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

24-Dec-2015 01:40:08

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

We have so many cats in one of the gardens - and there seems to be more and more at the moment, so fewer birds will come down to feed. At least when we have foxes the cats reduce their visits and shoot through pretty quickly, but foxes bring their own problems.

Our old dog used to chase birds, a canine scarecrow - Dad trained him so the birds didn't eat the fruit and veg.

24-Dec-2015 02:10:07

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ahh but what sort of geese?

Sadly for the squirrels round here my dad now has an air riffle with telescopic sight, but it is good for the birds I guess.

Not seen any sign of foxes for a few month either, but we do get cats now and again as the people up the road have two. I sometimes see them in the field/wood and duly scare them off. I suspect they just run a bit then come back to stalking.

Also seen a few that are probably feral and visit a number of houses (my sisters cat is one such cat)

I really don't like cats in the wild at least with dogs the owner is generally there and can limit the impact.

I'm choosing where I walk the dogs so as to limit the amount of mud I walk through only really one place that has lots of hardcore tracks so I go there and just change the way I walk through to stop the dogs getting bored

24-Dec-2015 12:33:09

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top