Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not in the sense they are here the rest of the year.

Migrants come and go, as the name suggests. Most noticeable are whooper and bewick swans, pink footed goose, fieldfare and redwing. In the spring when they leave they will be replaced by swifts swallows and martins. Other stuff too.

There are variants of common birds that come and go as well, while looking the basically the same there will be subtle differences. I'm not too interested in that much detail, yet.

We have a mild winter in comparison to Scandinavia and many birds will fly over here for an easier time, when this happens en mass due to food shortage or other issue it is called an "eruption". I've heard talk of a poor year for nuts on mainland Europe and as such many jays have flown across.

13-Oct-2014 18:31:25

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

3 Skeins of Pink footed geese flew over this morning. First ones I've seen this year.

Was reading that flocks of 45000 are present at martin mere. A spectacle to behold when they all take off to go find food and return to roost so I'm told.

17-Oct-2014 22:54:54

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Kestrel, 2 mistle thrush, 2 coal ****, few gulls overhead. That was about it bird wise.

Walking back through the wood i heard a great creaking sound and a tree literally snapped in half :O off to the right of me, suffice to say my pace picked up lol.

19-Oct-2014 19:35:17

Stress Kills
Dec Member 2023

Stress Kills

Posts: 211 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While I was outside over the past couple days, I was lucky enough to notice a Blue Jay twice. ( two separate days and sightings) They are rather rare for this area, and was marvelous to watch. When I saw it I thought of your thread.

Happy watching :-)

edit:
Wilf said :
Walking back through the wood i heard a great creaking sound and a tree literally snapped in half :O off to the right of me, suffice to say my pace picked up lol.

I'm glad you're okay ;-)

25-Oct-2014 00:19:06 - Last edited on 25-Oct-2014 00:21:50 by Stress Kills

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top