Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I bought some presents for the local wildlife - one of which may not be approved of.

The first was a fatball ring feeder which takes eight of them, another was an extra large seed feeder.

The last one was a squirrel feeder :) I have no idea if it will be used, but it will be fun to see if it is. Hopefully you won't need to say 'told you so' because the bird food gets devoured as well!
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

02-Jan-2016 05:19:51

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
you get red squirrels don't you? if so then I'd guess greys are culled in the area. If red squirrels were as prevalent as the greys are now I'd probably consider them a pest, but as they're not I consider them threatened so would support feeding them. My parents can remember seeing reds round here when they were children sadly I doubt I ever will.

05-Jan-2016 21:09:35

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We have no greys where I put the box - the reds have been protected by the sea. The reds are pretty rare down our lane, but there are areas where they are more concentrated, I just hope one pops by to have a peep in the box occasionally.

If you ever use twitter - I have some pics of the red visitor on there.

My children's school, in a different area, had a resident purple (grey) squirrel - no one really knew what turned him that colour, he eventually disappeared - or had a wash and blow dry.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

06-Jan-2016 10:35:27 - Last edited on 06-Jan-2016 11:48:57 by Bernadette

Vera

Vera

Posts: 16,334 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bernadette said :
My children's school, in a different area, had a resident purple (grey) squirrel - no one really knew what turned him that colour, he eventually disappeared - or had a wash and blow dry.
Lmao! "Wash and blow dry" xD

My dad likes to photograph birds of prey, such as owls, falcons, and hawks. Sometimes we'll be driving, and then he'll spot something rare in the sky and pull over to take pictures with his long-distance camera lenses

Since he photographs birds so often, he's familiar with the family trees of a few of them, and where they nest and where they hunt :P

He doesn't photograph colorful birds as much, but after hearing him talk about the birds of prey he follows, it was really cool learning about their habits and territories
VIVLOVESVIX
(click mee)

Very Vera | Join Nomad ! | Inform Yourselves | Forum Help

08-Jan-2016 03:45:44

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes! Birds of prey are some of the most amazing animals if at times gruesome.

Last year it was discovered that Eleonora's falcons would catch prey and then jam them into holes in rocks so that they had live food for a few days.

It is good he's got knowledge of their haunts as he can monitor the numbers being bred and if anything untoward happens.

08-Jan-2016 17:59:31

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top