Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I like the idea that the owls are talking to each other.

I am trying to get birds to come to the feeders in the garden that is infested with cats - we now have a pair of winged doves and a few starlings are coming back. I haven't seen the blackbird hopping across the grass for a while :(

We did the Big Garden Bird count on Sunday afternoon and came up with the grand total of one magpie, who landed on the pergola for about 10 seconds.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

04-Feb-2016 18:35:52

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bernadette said :
I like the idea that the owls are talking to each other.

I am trying to get birds to come to the feeders in the garden that is infested with cats - we now have a pair of winged doves and a few starlings are coming back. I haven't seen the blackbird hopping across the grass for a while :(

We did the Big Garden Bird count on Sunday afternoon and came up with the grand total of one magpie, who landed on the pergola for about 10 seconds.

:O that's pretty bad. I didn't have time to do an hour so mine was a bit poor 5 blue ****, 3 great **** 1 coal *** 3 wood pigeon 2 blackbird 3 robin. Had seen the woodpecker on earlier in the morning though.

Yes they've a fairly easy call to recognise as well as the sound of them drumming/pecking. Hope for another succesful breeding year!

04-Feb-2016 23:11:45

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

First time in a while I went looking for a bird. There is a spot bout 5 mins away that has large flocks of chaffinch/yellowhammer and other small birds so went to look for Brambling.

Saw at least four and I exp** there were a few more as I couldn't see the ones in the tops of the trees across the field clearly. Must have been well over a thousand in total. Also large number of crows say around 400 ish. Few Mistlethrush as well.

Might go tomorrow morning with my scope and see if I can get a picture/see what else is about.

During the week seen pink footed geese moving as well.

13-Feb-2016 21:25:13 - Last edited on 13-Feb-2016 21:26:11 by Wilf

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Four herons around the flooded areas in the field next to the school. Never seen that before. My friend thinks there were probably small frogs there.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

24-Feb-2016 21:52:57 - Last edited on 25-Feb-2016 00:16:44 by Bernadette

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Back in late Autumn we had a one day only invasion of a large flock of small green parrots. They were congregating in certain trees, I assume there were seed pods up there. I'm assuming they were Ring-Necked Parakeets, which are now feral in several areas of Kent.

They were very noisy but didn't seem to be aggressive at all to the local birds - although the smaller species scarpered into the undergrowth until they'd departed.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

25-Feb-2016 00:06:27

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Been a bit distracted recently

nothing much exciting really...

Reading my previous post reminds me to go look for ther Bramblings again hopefully they've not migrated back just yet as their heads go a nice deep black which offsets the organge lovely.

To do list:

Bearded **** at local rspb site for the past month or so if they stick around and breed it will be a huge success for the site and highlight how important habitat restoration is.

06-Mar-2016 20:20:00

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top