Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Very exotic :P

Song Thrush has been in the garden and is singing in the trees now. Hope they breed here.

Activity in the garden is picking up now more so than over winter I'd say. Getting that extra boost for the breeding season maybe.

12-Mar-2016 23:38:16

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Google is wonderful for checking out those odd birds!

Grouse, ducks and pheasant roaming the garden this week - just as well I don't eat game bird!

I always wonder where the pheasant sleeps as he seems to regard the garden as his patch - he also managed to attract a female into the garden the other day. He was standing on top of the pile of railway sleepers squawking for ages before she arrived.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

29-Mar-2016 23:05:24

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I never thought of it roosting in trees. I'm glad we don't have fighting pheasants, the single one makes enough noise on his own.

I put peanuts in the squirrel feeder on Monday and noticed they were gone today. Annoyingly the card was left out of the motion camera so I have no idea if we had a squirrel visitor or perhaps a clever cor*id took them - I have seen crows, rooks and jackdaws eyeing up the feeders this week.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

30-Mar-2016 22:04:36

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Yer it is strange I never thought of pheasants roosting in trees until my dogs flushed some and they flew into trees.

That reminds me I spooked a sparrowhawk when I was topping the feeders up this afternoon it's already killed one pigeon :(

30-Mar-2016 22:23:41

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Quick update:

Seen Sparrowhawk nearly every day in/over the garden both male and female so probably nesting nearby. Mistle Thrush keep coming in as well sometimes mobbing the hawk.

Also seen a Goldcrest a few times which not seen in the garden before.

Seems to be lots more Goldfinch around as well.

Found one Blackbird nest so far.

Lovely weather past few days!

19-Apr-2016 20:17:56

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Saw my first Goldcrest today. (Had to google to identify). He was picking around for spiders in the eaves of the lean-to outside the back door and spotted me spotting him through the kitchen window.

He did the strangest thing - flew over to the window and hovered like a hummingbird peering in at me (about 3 ft away). Then landed on the windowsill and sat for several minutes watching me, ******* his head this way and that and flashing his crest to show the orange part.

Edit:
For censor - tilting his head
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

29-Apr-2016 12:02:34 - Last edited on 29-Apr-2016 12:03:01 by FiFi LaFeles

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top