Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Several hours later:

Feeling creeped out now. There's two of them, presumably male & female. They both keep trying to get in the kitchen window and now they've followed me to the Lounge and are watching me through the window and pecking at the glass.

I'm not joking. This is freaky.

When I go outside they wait until I'm no more than 4 ft away before they take flight.

HALP !!!
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

29-Apr-2016 19:31:40

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Aaaaand .... another first for me today. Wagtail at the birdfeeder.

On his own, only came down a half dozen times this morning, not at all this evening.
Passing through, maybe. First and only one seen in the garden in 11 years.
Le Chat Guerrier

02-May-2016 23:59:59

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Several hours later:

Feeling creeped out now............

HALP !!!

You'd better keep a look out ...... Sounds like a scene from 'The Birds'.

The other day I saw a blackcap in the town garden - I have never seen one before.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

03-May-2016 01:44:18

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

They're both still at it, to the extent they have us totally unnerved. We've sellotaped newspaper over the top part of the windows to stop them hanging on to the sill on the fanlights (is that what the little opening bit at the top is called?)

This morning they've upped the ante by sitting on the doorstep and screeching in through the open door until one of the dogs comes out to check the noise.

Typical - first really lovely day of the year and we are under siege by brutes which probably weight all of half an ounce :|
Le Chat Guerrier

03-May-2016 09:16:45

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maybe they've paired up and are defending their territory from themselves.

At least you get the chance to observe them a bit better and hopefully was excited by seeing them!

Located a couple more Blackbird nests a Greenfinch nest and fairly sure Goldfinch are nesting somewhere as there is a pair here regularly.

03-May-2016 20:21:52 - Last edited on 03-May-2016 20:24:49 by Wilf

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Good to see this thread still going strong Wilf.

Haven't seen anything rare recently as I moved to a more urban area a while ago... though I did spot an unexpected Jay a few weeks ago.
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

03-May-2016 20:25:15

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Wilf said :

At least you get the chance to observe them a bit better and hopefully was excited by seeing them!

Oh yeah, always get a little frisson when a new bird appears on the block, as it were. For once, I wish we could post images because I've got a great shot of the male showing off his crest, with his teeny-weeny little gob wide open and screeching through the window.
I'll have to see if Weazle's ancient phone can download, then I'll post it on Twitter (to scare Bernadette!!)

Mr Wagtail back this morning with Mrs (?) Wagtail. Hope they'll be nesting near-by.
Le Chat Guerrier

04-May-2016 09:09:56

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Posting an image would be nice but of course the forums would implode if we could.

Heard what I'm fairly sure were two raven flying over last week. I could see them but not close enough to get any positive ID. The call instantly made me think of them despite never having seen one in the wild.

Also heard a Cuckoo on Saturday.

Blackbirds seem to be doing ok spent some time just watching them going round getting worms and slugs.

08-May-2016 21:44:10

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top