Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have a question about feeding birds.

I was told that if you set up feeding stations it was important to always keep them supplied, as the birds get used to them and won't look elsewhere for food if it is empty. I would like to keep them topped up so we can see more easily the variety of birds visiting the garden during the summer spring and summer, but we are regularly away for two or three weeks at a time.

We live in the South, in a rural area, surrounded by farmland and hedgerows. Nearby there is a reasonable sized farm reservoir, and we are also about 6 miles from the coast.

Currently I put out food in the winter but stop when the weather improves in the spring as I assume the local birds can then fend for themselves, and worry that young birds might get used to the tables and then struggle if we are not there to refill.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

27-Oct-2014 21:07:29

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It is up to you. They'll probably come to the feeders once you stop feeding on the off chance, but won't spend all day hanging around. Slowly decrease the amount so they get used to foraging more. I'm fairly sure that whoever told you that you need to keep feeding as they'll become dependent is wrong..

I volunteered at an RSPB reserve and they feed only the winter months for some spots, and stop in spring. In the garden which is mostly for the kids they keep them topped up though.

When it comes to the breeding season I buy a bag of meal worms and put some out occasionally. Still got plenty left in the bag I bought this year. I also feed sunflower hearts and peanuts from a feeder but don't top them up religiously just every few weeks the peanuts don't even get emptied usually. Don't put out whole peanuts at breeding time or other large food as it is a choking hazard (may seem obvious but ya know).

If you can afford to don't cheap out on the food, but also don't pay the top RSPB prices as it is just too expensive if the birds eat through the food quickly :P

I buy mine online from a firm called brinvale bird food. Order before 3pm and order weighs over 10kg free next day delivery the quality is excellent and the prices are very good.

In fact I was just totting up the cost of what I'm intending to buy. @£125 .

that's 100 fat balls
15kg of suet pellets
20kg of peanuts
25kg of sunflower hearts

Should last a while as i don't always top one up when it gets empty and might let them eat down a bit of the others. Sunflowers go first always, and I'd recommend spending a little extra and getting them.

Apart from the sunflowers and maybe the suet pellets it should last a year.

Just the hearts and peanuts and fat balls would be more than adequate tbh, but I tend mix a bit of each with some cheap stuff for scattering on the ground.

Another reminder for everybody water is equally important, especially in winter

27-Oct-2014 21:46:10 - Last edited on 27-Oct-2014 21:49:44 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

We have a few hens so there isn't much point scattering expensive bird food on the flow for them to eat.

And another important thing to remember is hygiene clean tables and feeders every few weeks if you think on or if they start to look particualry mouldy.

Also split food can naturally attract rats, which is another advantage of good straight food over a mix I've used mixes and seen em chuck the rubbish out onto the floor to get the tastier morsels!

I've seen field mice fairly often scuttling about, but as mentioned earlier in the thread there are also owls active some nights in the garden.

Plus as I said hens eat any spilt food along with wood pigeons, crows, rooks, magpies, jackdaws etc.

Compared that list with rspb and it is £100 less, and the quality is no different. Even with a 10% discount I can get it is still a lot more.

27-Oct-2014 21:51:02 - Last edited on 27-Oct-2014 21:59:20 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

It sounds like you live in a place that will have a nice variety of the garden birds and those that are usually found around farmland (yellow hammer, tree sparrow, corn bunting). Plus fairly close to the coast and a body of water makes it sound even more appealing I'd keep an eye out for unusual stuff even more so.

27-Oct-2014 22:05:42

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the info on the food - I'll check them out when our current stock depletes. I tend to buy from Garden centres as and when I see a deal, but it probably isn't very cost effective, and probably not the best quality - I had never really thought about that before yesterday, when I saw some seed for sale dated BBF Apr 14.

We get the normal garden visitors that I can easily recognise - crows, pigeons, blackbirds, various ****, robins, sparrows, starlings. There are also quite a few I have seen that I haven't properly identified - probably quite common but I am working on it. We have some that nest under roof tiles that flit down into the hedge and back, but they need to slow down a bit so I can get a better look!

We have had ducks and ducklings wandering up the garden, partridge, jays, green woodpecker in the grass and have geese flying over all the time - I'll have a better look to try to see which type of geese they are next time I'm out when they go over. I don't go to the reservoir as it does not really have public access, so no easy path to the top.

I hear woodpeckers and Little owls; Mr B has seen them and has also seen a Hobby Owl flying around. We also see plenty of Buzzards and other birds of prey over the fields nearby - I need to get better at identifying them.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

28-Oct-2014 11:13:10 - Last edited on 28-Oct-2014 13:54:10 by Bernadette

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm a bit of a slob when it comes to floor-scattering. Only because I've noticed that some of the small birds seem a bit shy about going to the tables, so I chuck a bit around for them and they eat (most) of it.

Naturally, we get the rats hanging around, especially as the weather gets colder. So this year I've bought one of those gizmos that you plug in and it allegedly lets out a nasty sound that scares rodents (hope it works on the squirrels too haha, can't stand those dirty little treerats either).

We've got a semi-enclosed wood store with power, so I've plugged it in there, hoping to stop them nesting-up in the logs. I'm hoping it'll be worth the £10 I paid .....

28-Oct-2014 11:36:38

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

It sounds even more like a great spot :) .

Don't even have sparrows here which I think is a shame, but just up there road I did have an area of hedgerow with tree sparrow present. Do you know if you get them as they are in decline nationally?

Hobby Owl? I'm assuming that is oldish name for what is now just called a Hobby. Like pewit = lapwing

Where we are working currently has plenty of house sparrows that keep me amused when things are a bit slow though.

Not had rats here (well no sign of them) for a number of years now. A period of trapping got to the stage where nothing was being caught.

Have you tried a little plate/board on the floor for them to feed off? I know here the dunnocks don't go on to the table.

28-Oct-2014 17:24:38 - Last edited on 28-Oct-2014 17:26:24 by Wilf

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yerrr, I did try the bowl part of an old birdbath where the pedestal had toppled and broken. They viewed it with deep suspicion from the bushes for a week and wouldn't go anywhere near it. Eventually the Woodies spotted it (don't they just see everything edible?) so it was Goodnight Vienna for that.

28-Oct-2014 19:53:34

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

I made a sort of cage over mine to keep bigger stuff out but I need to rethink it as the hens can stretch their necks in from each side, where I'd made a wider entrance, nearly to the middle....

Foiled.

28-Oct-2014 20:03:22

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top