Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Twillow
Aug
fmod Member

Twillow

Forum Moderator Posts: 49,241 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A tweet about some kind of Bird of the Year in New Zealand voting popped up in my newsfeed last night and I thought of you and Cat the bird watchers.

They had such lovely pics of so many birds and an option to learn more where I could hear each bird call. Made me want to run right out and hop a cab to NZ to explore all the birds. =)
like a chica cherry cola

@Twillow_RS|| #teamblue|| #Purple4life

20-Oct-2016 13:56:20

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
30+ Wood Pigeon on the lawn this morning.

Plenty of Mistle Thrush out in the hedges

Lots of Chaffinch and Bullfinch too the males of which look stunning with their bright pinky coloured chests

07-Nov-2016 17:01:39

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
New Zealand wildlife always seems so interesting and exotic in comparison to ours. I suppose it is a bit of familiarity breeding contempt, as we have plenty of pretty birds around.

We have had a sparrowhawk in the garden and what looked like a hovering kestrel in the nearby field.

We seem to have also added a cockerel to our random collection of roaming birds. Noisy thing squawks at me if I dare to wander down the garden far enough to encroach on his roosting area. Little does he know that we have plans for that tree, and they don't include him! Not sure how one serves an eviction notice on a cockerel, but he should be ok there for a little while longer before the chain saws get revving.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

07-Nov-2016 20:59:27 - Last edited on 07-Nov-2016 21:08:29 by Bernadette

Mae Bae

Mae Bae

Posts: 365 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Winter is setting in here in America, so all my backyard birds are brown for a few months. :(

Remember its more important to put out food and water for the birds in the winter since they won't find as much from natural sources!

27-Nov-2016 20:29:27

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ Yep!

Watched an episode of pointless a few days ago, I cried.

Birds round with pictures of 12 garden birds. Stuff like blackbird, robin, chaffinch, magpie, blue tit, great tit, wren.

One woman's answer: Bluebird.

01-Dec-2016 22:30:25

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lots of activity around the gardens with all the usual birds:

Blue tits
Great tits
Long tailed tits (my favourite)
Blackbirds (a bit of territory scrapping going on)
Goldfinches
Chaffinches
House Sparrows
Dunnock
Robin
Wren
Rooks
Jackdaw
Jay
Pheasant - Magnus the Magnificent (I assume) - does the marking around the face change with the seasons ?

Plus a very scampery red squirrel, who tried to chase away the jay in case it saw where the hazelnuts were being buried!
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

31-Dec-2016 01:51:00 - Last edited on 31-Dec-2016 01:53:42 by Bernadette

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top