Forums

Jagex Accounts - Issues? Thread is locked

Quick find code: 14-15-998-66278058

Kings Abbot

Kings Abbot

Posts: 10,794 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I know what they are, why I should use it, and how to do it (at least, if the guide Jagex made isn't wrong), so that's not what this thread is about.

I haven't seen anyone with real issues on the forums myself, but that doesn't automatically mean there can't be any, and there's other platforms I don't use that could have reports of issues as well.

Has anyone (or heard about others) had any problems putting their RuneScape accounts into a Jagex Account?
If so, were there solutions?
Was it something frequently encountered, or a more unique case?

I'm hesitant to do something permanently with my accounts (one main, one alt) that, if something goes wrong, could lock me out for a while or so, certainly if it's still in beta (it's Jagex after all, mistakes have been been made before).

Depending on the answers here, I'll do it or wait a bit more until it's finished.
Kings Eastwood in
THE GLOOP , THE BWIAN , and THE WIKI
music by Trewavio Morricone

YOU-KNOW-WHO
GO
YOU-KNOW-WHAT
YOURSELF!

09-Apr-2023 14:09:00

SlR

SlR

Posts: 4,381 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If your account is old and people know your original name (used to log-in) then it's worth installing for that alone. All the stories I have heard of people getting hacked were by people they knew. The 10x security keys you get are valuable too.

As for faults, I haven't heard any, apart from one person saying they couldn't install it. You log into the forums separately, so even if the launcher were to go down for whatever reason you could still access your account details there. And if you couldn't get into the game via launcher, apparently you can link Steam, Facebook, Google etc. and log in that way.

The only 'issue' I have (and it's a minor one) is needing my authenticator to make forum posts

There is an adjustment period, if you're used to logging in via Steam for example. I keep loading up RS through Steam by accident. There is something to be said about not having all your eggs in one basket, but if they rolled it out to moderators first ('high value' players) then it should be good for the rest of us. Maybe test it out with your alt first? It's quite basic.
Bob says:
A bank PIN will keep your items secure.
Always check the second trade screen.
Never trade in the Wilderness!
Keep your computer keylogger-free and virus scanned.
Never give your password out to anyone.

09-Apr-2023 15:32:41 - Last edited on 09-Apr-2023 15:37:09 by SlR

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,361 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Kings,

I was able to make the migration with my accounts very seamlessly and found the process to be quite straight forward.

Most of the issues I saw were from users migrating who had not yet made the move from playing via the standalone clients to the Jagex Launcher - don't get them confused, the Jagex Launcher launches the games and the Jagex Account is how you will log in to said launcher after migration. Once you migrate your characters into a Jagex Account, the Jagex Launcher must be used to play - you won't be able to log into the Jagex Account from the standalone clients.

That being said, make sure you've got the Jagex Launcher installed and all is working properly there for you. Once you've got that nailed down, you should find that migrating your characters into a new Jagex Account, then logging that new Jagex Account in on the Jagex Launcher, is a fairly smooth process.

You are right, it is a Beta and results may vary, but if you have any specific questions about the process or run into any trouble, our friendly neighborhood Community Helpers have (as always) been quite knowledgeable about these processes and if they don't have the answer at the top of their head, they'll find it and help you with the transition.

Bottom line is - it's worth it - and yeah, having a username login was cool and all but... personally, it's not something that's missed at all (for anyone worried about that, too).

SlR said :
The only 'issue' I have (and it's a minor one) is needing my authenticator to make forum posts
This reads slightly misleading, but I'm sure I know what you meant. Authenticator isn't required before making every single post, though depending on the method you use to log in to the website, you may be asked for authenticator - yes. Some trips around that are logging in from the RuneScape main home page or via the in-game lobby.
Spearmint30

¤
"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them."
¤

09-Apr-2023 15:40:31

Aslon Dak

Aslon Dak

Posts: 10,616 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, Kings Abbot. Players are having issues with this latest attempt at "better security".

The Community Led Account and Technical Help subforums features several threads posted by players unable to access the game via the new launcher, or who have had their characters vanish...minor little inconveniences like that. Then there are the Rants, of course.

As with the forced migration to NXT several years back, I am waiting as long as possible to join this forced migration in the name of "security" - and for the same reason. It will give Jagex the most amount of time to fix more of the bugs before I consider risking the character I have invested nearly 20 years of time and care into. You would be wise to wait as well, IMO.

"Oops! Something happened, and your character of nearly two decades is gone. But hey, you can make a new one - and maybe consider buying membership for it?" :D

That will not happen.

I can't speak to what is being posted on Twitwit and the like, as I don't use those sites. However, I wouldn't be surprised if similar posts were being made there.
Aslon Dak: Still 'Scaping after 19 years!
You can buy XP. You can't buy experience.
Save the RSOF! 278-279-95-66293045

09-Apr-2023 16:30:40

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 45,000 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My experiences echo Spearmint's - I found the entire process pretty painless. It took only a few minutes to get my characters all imported and it went without an issue. I've been very happy with the system since I migrated to it earlier this year.

Personally, I think the term 'beta' is misleading - the system works, that isn't what they're testing. If they were concerned the system could break and lock us out, they wouldn't let us migrate to it, they would keep it as an internal test instead.

Rather, its more of an 'early access' type thing (migrate at your own pace before you're eventually forced to), and what Jagex is really looking for is feedback on the process, what things could be improved with it. Some of those improvements have already been made prior to the system going to open beta.

09-Apr-2023 16:31:21

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 45,000 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aslon Dak said :
The Community Led Account and Technical Help subforums features several threads posted by players unable to access the game via the new launcher, or who have had their characters vanish...minor little inconveniences like that. Then there are the Rants, of course.

I've been watching those forums a bit the last few days - most of the issues aren't with Jagex Accounts specifically, but rather with the Jagex Launcher.

Luckily, you can install the Jagex Launcher and verify it works for you with your RuneScape accounts before you migrate. That's what I've suggested to many within my clan who are hesitant about trying the new system.

Right now, many seem to be related to Mac usage, so perhaps there's an issue there that Jagex can help out with, but that isn't the fault of Jagex Accounts.

Accounts are not supposed to be able to be unlinked from a Jagex account, if one was that sounds like something else is up.

09-Apr-2023 16:37:10

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

Posts: 13,757 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This whole situation is like 26/10 on the anxiety scale for me. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong for me, because that is how systems work.

Right now the game and website remember my logins, I just have to show up. That is about as user friendly as it can get. All this talk of codes and verifications doesn't entice me.

I don't really use customer support, but I consider it a major red flag that they have had a banner for high volume/delayed response for over 6 months straight.

I can't even imagine why so many players are using the system. They only seem to be accepting requests for limited topics.

09-Apr-2023 17:33:27

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Roddy Piper said :
Right now the game and website remember my logins, I just have to show up. That is about as user friendly as it can get. All this talk of codes and verifications doesn't entice me.

Jagex Accounts have mandatory MFA, unlike RuneScape accounts which had optional MFA. That's the main difference concerning verification codes, some kind of additional verification has to be entered at each login where you are required to enter your email and password. Its part of what makes Jagex Accounts more secure.

Once you have everything set up though, its just as it was before - the Jagex Launcher remembers me and its 1 click to get ingame, and the website remembers me for a few weeks before asking me to log in again, at which point I enter my account info and an authenticator code from my phone just as I've done for years with a RuneScape account.

If you've seen the infographic that's in the newspost, that is literally the entire process.

09-Apr-2023 21:20:11

Quick find code: 14-15-998-66278058 Back to Top