How NOT to Be Scammed Guide Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 98-99-725-62437441

Free Rp Alt
Dec Member 2012

Free Rp Alt

Posts: 169 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2.:
NEVER TAKE ANYTHING INTO THE WILDERNESS YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO LOSE:

This encompasses any Wildy/Luring/etc. scam.

Keep in mind that even if the guy that addressed you does/did not mean to harm you, chances are that you encounter/get raided by other player killers happening to be there. ("happening to be there" or "been summoned by the guy that lured you", mohahaw *mod raven grin*)

If there somehow is fighting to do, here is some decent cheap/freely retreivable gear you can "risk", if available to you:
-
Task List reward armour
- like Varrock Armour or Moritania legs
-
Agile Set
- (from Advanced Gnome/Barbarian course)
-
Blisterwood Weaponry
- (level 70, After The Branches of Darkmeyer quest )
-
Lightning Staff
- (level 60 and can be re-Django-trieved at no cost) (2012 premier club / premier club reward token)
-
Baron Sharks
- (Not free, but untradeable and therefore will not drop to feed your killers at least ^^)
-
Strange Fruit
- from Jadinkos in Herblore Habitat (see above)
-
Leprechaun Hat
- Works as Tier 2 Luck enhancer (Ring of Wealth) but can be re-Django-trieved for free (e.g. handy if you get invited to do Chaos Beast, Lava Strykewyrms and such)
What happens in the beta, stays in the beta

06-Feb-2018 02:51:37 - Last edited on 06-Feb-2018 13:34:24 by Free Rp Alt

Free Rp Alt
Dec Member 2012

Free Rp Alt

3.:
NEVER DROP ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OFF:

No matter what funny/weird/obscure story you are being told. Just don't. Never. Ever.

4.:
NEVER ENTER YOUR LOGIN INTO ANYTHING BUT RUNESCAPE.COM*

*(or top level domain of an official rs country, like .DE or .FR etc. or org. or other trusted tld Jagex owns - if not shure: stick to .com)

Be aware and very cautious when following any links. If a site offers you a handy "link to the runescape site, so you save time and just follow it to log in..."

This most of the time equals to a stranger telling you: "Hey I happen to be a human cashpoint/ATM, just give me your credit card and code, and I will hand you the money. *grin*"
- think about

Better always type the address yourself, or at least check it before you log in.

- Runescape.com.ru??? - Tut!
- Runescape.com.xxx.look-a-three-tailed-monkey.dum-dee-dum.devilsbackyard??? - Bogus!

The first part of the URL has to be legit.

-> runescape.com/ok!..., runescape.de/ja!..., runescape.fr/mais-oui^^, etc. - You get what I mean ^^

PS: and of course, any official game clients from Jagex... before some smartypants points that out :@

5.:
JAGEX WILL ALLWAYS CONTACT YOU TROUGH YOUR IN-BOX. ALWAYS.

Be it payment issues, competition prizes, P-Mod status, rulebreaking reproofs, etc. etc.

They do this because Jagex and only Jagex has access to that communication channel, and therefore it is assured that no third party can contact you and tell you some bull.

So let those pesky phishers send us stoopid fake emails - we just don't care :)

06-Feb-2018 02:56:29 - Last edited on 06-Feb-2018 13:49:54 by Free Rp Alt

Free Rp Alt
Dec Member 2012

Free Rp Alt

BONUS^^:

Here's a clever and funny way to get rid of a nagging/spamming "double ur gold" scammer:
(I dubbed this the "Gretchenfrage" method *)

Just ask the scammer this:

Why don't you just double some of YOUR money a few times and then give some of it to ME?

The trick is, he cannot answer this question, cause it would mean admitting to be scamming, as there is no realistic excuse/answer other than: "because i want so steal YOUR money"

So you keep nagging him back with this question until he feels uncomfortable and possible victims start to get suspicious and he's finally p**ed and forced to leave.

- warning: tldr/tmi -
* I named that after a german idiom, meaning the uncomfortable question that goes right to the core, uncovering the ugly truth behind. It originates from a play by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : "Faust", where the protagonist, Dr. Faustus, gets asked about his position regarding religion, by the girl he fell in love with, Gretchen, who is very religious, and is unaware that he made a deal with Mephisto, the/a devil.

06-Feb-2018 03:02:24 - Last edited on 06-Feb-2018 13:59:44 by Free Rp Alt

Free Rp Alt
Dec Member 2012

Free Rp Alt

Addendum:

About The Importance of keeping personal info to yourself

You know the rule about not telling/asking about personal details. That's a bad idea on the internet anyway. But maybe you are not aware what a scammer/phisher can DO with those informations. Yes this rule is, in part, there to prevent any kind of ugly child molesting , bullying and stuff, but there is another reason you might not be aware of:

If a Runescape player loses/forgets his login Info and access to his email, he has the possibility to contact Jagex and get his account back if he can prove that he is it's rightful owner. To prove this, he is asked to provide sensitive informations that ONLY THE RIGHTFUL OWNER can provide. This Means information like the exact date he created the account, email, payment method, IP, provider, address, and dunno what. The more informations the supplicant can provide, the better his chances to get Jagex to aknowledge him as the RIGHTFUL OWNER and hand him the account "back".

Needless to say, at this point, that if you provide enough of these sensitive data to anyone, he could just present it to Jagex, claiming to be the account's owner, and have them hand over your account to him .

So just keep that in mind :) - There are details about your account that no one except you NEEDS to know . Not even your "trusted friend".

06-Feb-2018 03:06:22 - Last edited on 06-Feb-2018 03:26:12 by Free Rp Alt

Fante Ruas

Fante Ruas

Posts: 10 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've just been scammed. The guy that logged into my account stole from me about 2m gp, a staff of armadyl, a dragon pickaxe, a ring of fortune and around 100 runite ore. I'm not a particularly valuable account, so he must have considered everything else in my bank as junk. The scam that he used isn't any of these listed. Here's what he did.

First, he used a smurf account to announce a "100m giveaway". He posted a video onto YouTube (search hip061, the video is still there as of the moment of posting this) announcing his "giveaway", along with a link to a RS Forum post.

Here's where things get confusing. If you follow the link, a genuine looking RS forum will open, down to the web link indicating on your browser that you're on a "services.runescape.com/m=forum" website. If you try to log into your profile, you'll be taken to a genuine looking RS website login screen, again the web link seems to indicate an actual RS forum services link.

Here's the part that where I should had suspected something was up. The login paged requested your username/email and password, as per normal, but then also requested your bank PIN and your Authenticator password. I should had suspected that something was wrong the moment these two were brought up, but I was blinded by what apparently were easy riches, so no dice. I should also note that my server connection to both Google and RuneScape went down after this for about half an hour.

I've logged into my account now to find those items I mentioned gone. I've already changed my password, bank pin and reset my authenticator, but the damage is done now. Safe to say that I'm not trusting "giveaways" ever again.

25-Jul-2018 19:32:44

Free Rp Alt
Dec Member 2012

Free Rp Alt

That is exactly why i don't like stupid "scam lists" there is always a new/variant scam "not on the list"

If you followed my Rule 4, you'd NOT have fallen for it.

Free Rp Alt said :
4.:
NEVER ENTER YOUR LOGIN INTO ANYTHING BUT RUNESCAPE.COM*

*(or top level domain of an official rs country, like .DE or .FR etc. or org. or other trusted tld Jagex owns - if not shure: stick to .com)

Be aware and very cautious when following any links. If a site offers you a handy "link to the runescape site, so you save time and just follow it to log in..."

This most of the time equals to a stranger telling you: "Hey I happen to be a human cashpoint/ATM, just give me your credit card and code, and I will hand you the money. *grin*"
- think about

Better always type the address yourself, or at least check it before you log in.

- Runescape.com.ru??? - Tut!
- Runescape.com.xxx.look-a-three-tailed-monkey.dum-dee-dum.devilsbackyard??? - Bogus!

The first part of the URL has to be legit.

-> runescape.com/ok!..., runescape.de/ja!..., runescape.fr/mais-oui^^, etc. - You get what I mean ^^

PS: and of course, any official game clients from Jagex... before some smartypants points that out :@

07-Sep-2018 22:07:52

Seren Angel

Seren Angel

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Finance said :
I've reread the guide since I last posted in 2012. I particularly like the examples of reportable text.

One scam you might consider adding, I'll call it the GE Limit scam.

The scammer tells you he's hit his GE limit and needs help buying a random uncommon item. He will try to convince you that the item is worth a lot of money by giving you one to sell in the GE and showing you that it sells for a lot. (The scammer is actually buying the item from you in the GE.)

The scammer asks for your help in buying a lot more of the item at extremely high prices. Once you have bought these items in the GE (from the scammer), he logs out.

To avoid this scam, don't buy items for people if you don't know what the fair market value of the item is. The GE is probably the single best invention for preventing scamming in the game, but it doesn't work so well for low volume items.

Type of Scam: Guthix's gift scam

Most Commonly Seen: Grand Exchange

What You Should Know: First scammer will ask you to buy items with normal price to gain your trust, then they will ask you to buy weird items with way over priced value. (they will give you item to sell in ge as bait ) Don't fall for this because you will only lose money this way. Funny how people still try to scam 2k18. Stay safe and happy scaping<3

13-Sep-2018 14:36:46 - Last edited on 13-Sep-2018 14:43:26 by Seren Angel

Quick find code: 98-99-725-62437441 Back to Top