Forums

The Amethyst Library

Quick find code: 49-50-80-60871629

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Posts: 11,421 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It should be whatever you think is the best example of your writing, though longer stories tend to have a better chance at getting the higher ranks.

Though, of course, you should go with a short story, 'cause then I can read and review it quicker. :P

Honestly, though, whatever story you're most confident in is your best bet.

09-Aug-2011 06:10:02

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Alas, more empty promises.

Sorry guys. =/ I'll aim for something today, but, well, you know how well that normally works...

EDIT: The rank descriptions have been slightly altered, to more accurately represent current ranking standards (which are high, but, I think, fair). If you take a look at them, you should have a pretty good idea of what I look at when I rank(ed) your story.

If you have questions, please ask them. After all, you guys are just as, if not more, important to this place as I am.

09-Aug-2011 21:00:41 - Last edited on 10-Aug-2011 10:48:18 by Poller5

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Alright, Magery, here we go.

Your story starts off very well, actually, with strong description and interesting characterization. One minor quibble: when you have two paragraphs that aren't related at all, split them more distinctly. I like using a series of asterisks and tildes on their own line, but just anything that looks neat and distinct will work. It just makes thing easier for the reader.

Unfortunately, the rest wasn't quite as good as the opening. Your battle scenes were kinda choppy and awkward, lots of telling us what happened but no real translation of the sense of the battle: it causes a disconnect, and it just feels like you're reading an inventory. It comes across as much less exciting than a battle should.

The whole thing with being on a moon then jumping and flying down to the planet was, conservatively, just a little stretch of the imagination. I realize they're deific or quasi-deific beings, but still. Moons are very, very far from their planets.

In dialogue, always space the lines out properly, in distinct paragraphs: the way you wrote it was hard to read, and, frankly, looks amateur. It's a minor thing, but getting all the minor things right is a big part of being a good writer.

I'll also add that the happy ending seems a bit forced. I quite liked that he sacrificed himself for the sake of the planet, and was kinda disappointed by the whole second chance thing. Sometimes, writing is more powerful when the ending is nuanced and bittersweet, not simply and happy (actually, that's all the time. No truly great story has an entirely happy ending).

In general, I was impressed with your creative and imaginative grasp of language, and less so with your technical ability. While the former is more important, the second cannot be ignored, and there are just enough issues to keep you from the rank of Bard. Proofread it, re-apply, and I'll give you the rank you deserve, but until then, you are a Scribe of The Amethyst Library.

10-Aug-2011 10:36:00

Enheduanna
Sep Member 2023

Enheduanna

Posts: 16,566 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the review Poller. I'm aware the ending is a little unexpected, and one day I will end it the way it should be someday. The only problem with writing stories for school assignments are the restrictions. However, that's no real excuse. I promise I will fix it one day.

Woo, I'm a Scribe!

10-Aug-2011 11:52:12

Poller5
Dec Member 2023

Poller5

Yes, I did wonder about that, but at the end of the day, I have to judge the story on its own merits. Like I said, I have no doubt that you deserve a higher rank, but that story in particular doesn't.

11-Aug-2011 05:07:58

Beep282

Beep282

Posts: 904 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Name: Beep282

Story to be ranked on: Suspicion

Number of STORY posts on said thread: 7

Quick find code: Its on a thread of multiple short stories, table of contents is on the first page.
49-50-160-63031535

Additional information: FC Barcelona

11-Aug-2011 05:49:05 - Last edited on 11-Aug-2011 18:47:38 by Beep282

Enheduanna
Sep Member 2023

Enheduanna

Posts: 16,566 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ It's rather hard to find the extra thingy, which is most likely the point.

I have a plan for a new, proper length story that I will apply with one day, but I will have to wait until the holidays (or until all my schoolwork is done) to start writing it. It should be fun.

11-Aug-2011 07:54:00

Quick find code: 49-50-80-60871629 Back to Top