Forums

The Monolith

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276

Dantalian

Dantalian

Posts: 3,434 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wow, I'm surprised you remembered that. However, after doing the Temple at Sennisten quest, I've been having to rethink my assumptions about Zaros... So, my previous statements might not apply any more. Still, good catch. "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

11-Feb-2010 04:15:50

Dantalian

Dantalian

At the very least, his most potent servants disdain war except as a last resort, that puts him above Saradomin, who will jump at a chance to fight "for the greater good." "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

12-Feb-2010 08:25:47

Dantalian

Dantalian

Alright, there WILL be an add tonight/early tomorrow morning. I just have some assignments I need to finish before tomorrow, so it might be a little while. "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

17-Feb-2010 04:32:50

Dantalian

Dantalian

Okay, I lied. The assignments took longer than I thought, and as I have a full day of classes and work tomorrow (first class at 9am, no break longer than two hours, and get off of work at ~10:30-11pm) there WILL NOT be an add tonight. However, since I said I would add, there will be an add this week; on Thursday. (There will also be a Black Pentagram add on Thursday) however, this assumes I am still able to write on the same day I have a root canal.
(Sorry for any lack of elegance/bizarre writing in this post, I'm extremely tired right now.)
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

17-Feb-2010 08:54:03

Dantalian

Dantalian

"What's going on?!" questioned Alex as he ran onto the deck, "Is it another fight?"
"Seems so," sighed Jen, "Apparently a ship seems intent on coming after us."
"Is it the same as before?" asked Alex.
"No," commented Skad, "The design is different, as is... this power..."
"Power?" inquired Alex.
"Yes, power."
The three adventurers nearly jumped when they heard this fourth voice. It had come from an old man wearing a worn, grey cloak. However, none of the adventurers had seen him approach them, nor had of them noticed him around the ship in the entire of their voyage thus far.
"Who are you?!" demanded Skad, brandishing his sword at the old man.
"My, how rude," chuckled the old man, "I come to give you some answers and instead find myself threatened and interrogated... oh woe is me, that in my advance age I cannot find peace!"
"You haven't answered my question," hissed Skad.
"Ah, but don't you already know?" asked the old man, "For they say that you know someone by their works, and you have seen plenty of mine."
"What is that supposed to mean?!" demanded Skad.
"Who do you think left that book by the gutter of your house?" asked the old man, "You know the one; the Infernis Liber?"
Skad said nothing, but his eyes widened in surprise.
"And how do you think those miserable temple knights happened upon that secret passage leading to your mother's study? Thereby establishing her as a witch, and allowing you to go free of charge?" continued the man, "How did the Coven find you?
See, you have seen my works, therefore, do you not know me?"
"Skad?" said Alex, "What is he talking about?"
"What do you want?" Skad questioned the old man, ignoring Alex's questions.
"To end this futile battle you are fighting so that your quest might continue," said the old man.
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

19-Feb-2010 06:41:27

Dantalian

Dantalian

"Futile?" asked Skad, "You think so?"
"Observe," said the old man, pointing at the enemy ship.
As he pointed several cannonballs shot from the Tempest, and seemed to strike the enemy ship. However, instead of hitting the ship, the cannonballs hung in midair as if they had struck an invisible wall, then rebounded to the Tempest. A few of these actually managed to scrape the Tempest, causing minor damage.
"What was that?!" demanded Jen.
"This is the power of Zaros," commented the old man.
"Who?" questioned Alex.
"The true lord of this world," replied the old man, "Incidentally, you should count yourself fortunate; you are currently needed, young Mr. Pautenaude. So I have been ordered to ensure you stay alive. To that end, I have awakened the ancient guardians of this sea."
"And these ancient guardians are?" inquired Skad.
"You'll lay eyes on them soon enough," promised the old man, "Ah, in fact, here comes one now."
As he said this a mass of bubbles pushed through the ocean's surface, and exploded in burst of froth. In their place was the most terrifying monster Alex had ever seen. It was similar to a spider in that it had eight legs, but its body seemed soft and slimy. And its eyes, though much larger, were like those of a horse.
"By the sea!" shouted Naudos, as he beheld the monster, "A kraken, here?!"
Before Naudos or his crew could react, more bubbles rose to the surface, and within moments the sea was so frothy it looked as if it had been made to boil. Then the bubbles faded away, and to those on-board both ships, it seemed as if the sea had vanished. For now, instead of the blue waters of the ocean, all that was visible were writhing dark tentacles.

19-Feb-2010 06:44:04

Dantalian

Dantalian

Given the number of the krakens that now had surfaced, it was amazing that the Tempest lasted as long as it did. What seemed to be hundreds of tentacles at once wrapped around the ship and tried to pull it apart, even as the crew tried to hack them away. Some kraken also tried to attack the second ship, but after lightning crackled down its side several times, they quickly learned to stay away. Nonetheless, they managed to damage the second ship and send a few of her crew into the writhing mass of tentacles. The fate of the Tempest was even worse; the ship broke apart quickly in spite of her crews' best efforts, and soon Alex found himself falling into the tentacles. As he reached them, he felt some of these tentacles wrap around him, dragging him underwater as if to drown him. Then everything went black. "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

19-Feb-2010 06:45:13

Dantalian

Dantalian

Sorry, I know it's short, but this is the end of Chapter 1, and I didn't want to go further if I could help it. "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

19-Feb-2010 06:46:00

Dantalian

Dantalian

CHAPTER II-WHERE THE WIND DOTH DANCE AND PLAY
"Those who escape, the depths' greatest wrath,
Find themselves on the way, but without a path.
Before them they see, neither shelter nor way
Only a land where the wind doth dance and play.
Stone ground to dust, and sun to burn skin,
And at the end, against the watcher they must win."
-Mephos Nidhogg, The Monolith's Eulogy (excerpt)
It felt like every bone in his body had been broken, but despite this, Alex seemed to be alive. Somehow, it seemed he had made it to land, at least this is what he judged from the feeling of sand under him.
As the warmth of the sun washed over him, any thoughts of moving from wherever he was drifted from Alex's mind. He would stay here, either until his wounds healed or someone found him. Unfortunately for the aforementioned wounds, the latter appeared to have already happened, as an unearthly voice commanded, "Get up, you've slept long enough." And a moment later after Alex made no move to follow the command, a kick was sent to his chest, increasing his pain.
"Ow!" shouted Alex, "Alright, I get it, lay off will you?!" As he said this, he opened his eyes and sat up, finding himself facing Skad, who was scowling at him from under his dark hood.
"No one training under me is allowed to be so lazy," Skad growled.
"Sorry, sorry," said Alex, making himself stand up and look around. To his surprise, sand not only covered the beach, but every square inch of ground as far as the eye could see. Remembering hearing of such a place from one rather loud adventure in the Flying Horse inn, Alex asked, "Are we in... a desert?"
"It seems so," grumbled Skad, and worse, we seem not to have any fresh water... and I don't see anywhere to get enough to quench the thirst of three people."
"Three people?" asked Alex, "So someone else made it here?"

24-Feb-2010 15:52:17

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276 Back to Top