Forums

The Monolith

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276

Dantalian

Dantalian

Posts: 3,434 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
“Um, hello,” she said politely, “Nice to meet you all. Ece would stay and talk, but she is on an important mission to get the Monolith for the Cult of Chaos, and can't stay long.”
The Void Knights looked among each other for a few minutes. Finally, one said, “I'm afraid that won't be possible; we have explicit orders to prevent the Monolith from being captured. If you insist on proceeding despite our warning, we will have no choice but to stop you.”
“Is that so?” asked the girl, skipping over to the knights, “Then Ece guesses you will have to stop her.”
The knight sighed and commented how he didn't like hurting unarmed girls, but nonetheless brandished his mace and made his way toward her. When he was within a yard, the knight suddenly gasped. Another moment and two halves of a Void Knight were lying on the ground, and the girl was holding a bloody machete.
“Oh, looks like you were too weak to stop Ece,” she said happily.
Seeing their comrade down, the other knights quickly recovered from their shock and charged at the girl. Seeing them coming, she smiled and dodging their attacks with what seemed to be a mix of skipping and dancing, made short work of all of them.
“Anyone else?” she asked, her voice suddenly becoming more ominous and a psychotic look appearing on her face.
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

25-Aug-2010 02:41:46

Dantalian

Dantalian

In answer, the phoenix dived at the girl and knocked her off her feet. However, she recovered quickly, somersaulting back into standing position and turning to face the phoenix. “Oh, how sad,” she said, “Ece has to kill such a pretty bird. Oh, but it's okay, Ece will get it stuffed and put it in her room after it is dead.” With these words, the girl lunged at the phoenix.
Seeing their adversaries were either dead or distracted, Sliske held out his hand, conjuring smoke to hide his group, then grabbing a number of them, made a dash for the doorway the phoenix had been guarding.
The phoenix noticed them, but, locked as it was in battle with a dangerous opponent, could do nothing other than to inform the Prantiqeth that some of the intruders had made it past his territory. After this, it immediately turned back to its fight.
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

25-Aug-2010 02:43:02

Dantalian

Dantalian

I have finally made a Monolith add on time ^_^ I imagine some of the people reading both this and WoD will have some new questions to ask in my event. But for now... sleep... quiz in early morning class tomorrow worth 8% of grade...
~~~~~~~~~~~~Perfection meo destinato est.~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~Prudentia et iustia et clementia meo honori sun†.~~~~
~~~~~Ad maiorem Dei gloriam, et hominum salutem.~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Nihtgaldere, Adeptus Dominorum~~~~~~~~~~

25-Aug-2010 02:44:25

Dantalian

Dantalian

So... I only get comments when I make late adds... I hope you all are aware about what you are encouraging me to do... "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

01-Sep-2010 07:03:56

Dantalian

Dantalian

CHAPTER 6 – THE COCY*US
“From fire to ice, shall they go on,
Even in snow, find a river that flows on.
Beholding the first gift of Cocy*us' lord,
The malice-striker, brought down by light's sword.
His second gift, more dangerous than first,
Seas' master, and of serpents, perhaps the worst.”
--Mephos Nidhogg, The Monolith's Eulogy (excerpt)

As they exited the caves, the group consisting of Sliske, Aion, Usha, and Jen stopped in their tracks. Before them lay an expanse of ice and snow, and the bitter cold caught them off guard. But far more impressive was what they saw a little ways ahead; a lone river, covered in mists, but surprisingly still entirely liquid, ran through the land.
“How does this river stay warm?” asked Jen, reaching her hand toward it.
“Stop!” shouted Usha, drawing a confused look from Jen. “You must not touch that river,” she continued.
“Why not?* questioned Jen.
In answer, Usha took a piece of cloth from her bag and dipped it into the river. No sooner had the cloth touched then ice crystals formed all around it, causing it to shine like crystal.
“This river is colder than ice or snow,” said Usha, *It is a river formed from death and sorrow.”
“You can't mean...” gasped Sliske.
Jen felt the now familiar feeling that she was the only one who didn't know something creep over her yet again. “Do I even need to ask?” she finally said.
“This is the Cocy*us,” replied Usha, “One of the five great rivers of the land of the dead... Niflheim.”
“And only one person could cause the Cocy*us to appear here,” added Sliske, “The one who is ruler over it, one of the five masters of darkness... Mephos Nidhogg.”
“That name again,” said Jen, “How come he keeps getting mentioned?”
“I wonder why, I wonder why?* asked Ece, the red haired girl they had left in the fire caves, as she walked out into the snow, covered in blood and colorful feathers. “Maybe,” she continued, “Because the author likes Mephos...”

01-Sep-2010 07:06:20

Dantalian

Dantalian

“The author?” asked Jen, while Aion, Sliske and Usha exchanged confused looks.
“Or it could just be because this world was important to him,” said Ece, “This is after all, where he and Setkul met... well, not right here, but it was on this continent.”
“Wait, that happened here?!” demanded Usha.
“Don't worry,” replied Ece, “Him meeting Setkul did not change anything involving you.”
“Alright, I'm even more confused, what did this Setkul have to do with that Mephos guy?” asked Jen.
“Are we talking besides or including the whole conquer six different worlds thing?” asked Ece.
“THEY DID WHAT?!” asked Sliske and Jen together. Noting that Usha seemed unsurprised Sliske turned to her.
“You knew didn't you?” he asked.
*I don't see why you're so surprised,” replied Usha, “Mephos was the child of darkness, Setkul, the child of the Void. So needless to say, both were powerful. Likewise, as one of the four masters of darkness, Mephos had numerous troops. As the child of the Void, Setkul also had a number of followers who came from races that had warred with everyone else... not to mention many leftover experiments of the Etyon.
Also, each had the abilities the other lacked; Setkul was a born leader; charismatic, confident, bold, fearless, and capable of thinking on his feet. Mephos was quiet, reclusive, calculating, cunning, and was excellent at deep thinking and planning. Mephos would handle strategies; long term goals, traps, diplomacy, and troop. While Setkul handled tactics; leading troops onto the field personally, and making the field decisions necessary for victory.
In fact, it was said that as long as those two were together, they were unstoppable. The armies of the Tenzoku fell before them, and Elior Hyperion, the leader of the Tenzoku was almost taken captive. It looked for a while as if the empire those two had built would continue to expand until the whole universe fell before them... but something happened..."

01-Sep-2010 07:09:16

Dantalian

Dantalian

“What happened?” asked Jen as Usha trailed off.
But Usha simply shook her head and replied, *I don't even know the details, all I do know is that somehow the armies of the Void King managed to separate those two, and successfully killed Setkul, and began carving sections of the empire for himself. At this, Mephos Nidhogg and Elior Hyperion struck a deal and went forth to confront the Void King. However, he played on their long-standing suspicion of each other and managed to defeat both... after that, Elior was never the same, and Mephos... Mephos vanished... I still remember the day that the violet moon went dark. The shock that spread through Niflheim... and the sorrow.”
“The violet moon?” asked Sliske. Jen felt a small amount of elation as he asked this question; for once it seems she wasn't the only one who was confused!
However, Usha didn't answer, instead, she shook her head and said, “I have said too much already. Let us continue onward, and make our way through this frozen plain.”
The others voiced their consent and together they began trekking through the snow.

01-Sep-2010 07:10:41

Orcris

Orcris

Posts: 1,169 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's very curious. I wish to know more. Perhaps I will eventually. It seems darkness and the void went well together, imagine that... Anyway, Setkul seems to be very powerful. I wonder why it is he is not constrained by the edicts if he has such might. I'm also curious if he actually has any magical power or just martial and technological.
Liam's power seemed to be magical, but not martial...so perhaps that is another one of those that fit into what the story was saying. I will assume so for now.
*Orcris~
~Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead.~ Darth Revan
~Est Sularis Oth Mithas~ Sturm Brightblade
~Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality~ Richter Abend
~What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger* Friedrich Nietzsche
~Who I am is not important, my message is~ Darth Revan
~Amor omnia vincit~ Virgil

02-Sep-2010 04:18:16

Dantalian

Dantalian

It seems you're beginning to get a good grasp of the backstories Orcris. And you are correct in the deduction that Guthix would probably like to constrain Setkul (and the other five children) from interfering. The trick being they aren't technically gods, and they didn't sign on to the edicts, since three of them were gone at the time Guthix awoke, two were quick to lay low, and one wasn't involved anyway. (There's also a question about whether he could have forced the Edicts on him, but if I were to say why, I might give things away.)
I will also say this, it would be extremely difficult to defeat Setkul in one on one combat, but... well, I'm sure you could figure it out. Just pay attention to when the Etyon had him fight, and you might figure out a way to take him down.
@Aleosith: Thank you, I hope you continue to enjoy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~Perfection meo destinato est.~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~Prudentia et iustia et clementia meo honori sun†.~~~~
~~~~~Ad maiorem Dei gloriam, et hominum salutem.~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Nihtgaldere, Adeptus Dominorum~~~~~~~~~~

06-Sep-2010 04:28:34 - Last edited on 06-Sep-2010 04:29:13 by Dantalian

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276 Back to Top