Forums

The Monolith

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276

Dantalian

Dantalian

Posts: 3,434 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CHAPTER 3-THE LIVING MAZE
“Beyond the watcher, they race forward still,
Find themselves in a living maze, they will.
Creatures and beasts, fed by great abundance of food;
To kill, they come forth, the vicious brood.
The guard here, one of those only Guthix may use,
Vicious nature arises from under their shoes.”
-- Mephos Nidhogg, “The Monolith’s Eulogy” (excerpt)
“Looks like you were right,” said Chris.
“It will be nice to get out of this desert won’t it?” asked Dentro, “And we should make good time, we Guthixians are well trained at moving through forests, we can probably overtake our opponents once in there. Now, where is that scouting party?”
The bald head of a Void Knight stuck out of the jungle.
“My lord,” said the knight, “You were correct, one of the groups did beat us here.”
“You can tell?” asked Chris.
“They’re not exactly good at hiding their passing,” replied the knight, “Any Void Knight could track this group through the jungle. Judging by how fresh the signs of their passing are, and taking into account our mobility through forested areas, we should be able to overtake them within two days' time; assuming we stop to eat and rest periodically.”
“So the problem is that there might be more groups out there,” mused Dentro, “Very well, I’ve decided. We’ll split our group. Chris, you’ll be acting as the commander of the group that will guard this position from any further groups.*
*I see,” said Chris, “Since I can’t move through the jungle as fast as you and the Void Knights, I’ll be more useful keeping a lookout here.”
“Correct,* said Dentro, “Meanwhile, my group will hunt down the group that’s already entered the jungle. If you don’t hear back from us within a week’s time, assume we failed and come in after us, understand?”
“Yes sir,” replied Chris.
“Good, let’s hurry up then.”

“This is very tiring,” sighed Alex.
“Shut up,* said Skad, “Your not even the one hacking away at the vines and plants in our way.”
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

21-Apr-2010 10:56:06

Dantalian

Dantalian

“Doesn’t change much,” grumbled Alex.
“You complain too much,” replied Skad, “Were you expecting this trip to be like the legends of old? Someone runs in, saves the princess with ease, and returns a hero? This is the real world kid, nothing’s that easy, and it’s time you accepted it.”
“Just because you have some experience under your belt doesn’t mean you can just talk down to me like that!” shouted Alex.
“And what are you going to do about it?” questioned Skad, “Tell you what, the day you beat me in a fight, you can tell me what to do, until then, you should keep silent and do as your told.”
“Okay boys!* exclaimed Hekate, “That’s enough, it’s not good to bicker in front of your enemies.*
*What do you mean, our enemies?” asked Alex.
“You two were too busy bickering to notice, but we have company,” said Hekate, “Hey there, mind coming out of that tree?”
“By the seventy-two demons!” a girl’s voice shouted, “You noticed me?!” A moment later a girl who appeared to be in her early teens jumped out of a tree; she wore a strange short dress made of flowers and leaves.
“Um, her hair is green,” commented Alex, “Is that normal?”
“Not for humans!” replied the girl, “My name is Gichoma, I am the sage of the jungle.”
“Eh?” questioned Alex, “But you’re just a little girl?”
“Little?” questioned Gichoma, “Heh, I’m old enough to be your great-grandma, boyo! We Prantiqeth can control our bodies’ age, just because that old bag Ventua likes looking like a re-animated mummy doesn’t mean the rest of us do. I mean, she’s nice and all, but doesn’t have very good judgment, after all, you weaklings somehow made it here.”
“The way you talk, you make it sound like you’re going to fight us personally,” said Skad.
“Hah!” exclaimed Gichoma, “As if, unlike Ventua, I understand that even a foe with superior strength can be brought down if you send enough weaklings at him. Ah, but first, could I have the names of the three weaklings I will be destroying today? I like to keep track.”
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

21-Apr-2010 10:59:28

Dantalian

Dantalian

“How arrogant,” said Skad, “I’m Skad Helreighn, remember it so you can tell people who it was that defeated you today.”
“I’m Alex Pautenaude,” said Alex, “And sorry, but you won't defeat us.”
“Hekate Numatenma,” sighed Hekate, clearly not that concerned.
“Thank you,” said Gichoma, “Now, with the arms of the earth, I curse Alex Pautenaude, Hekate Numatenma, and Skad Helreighn!”
“What’s that supposed to do?” asked Skad, however, even as he said this, he felt his body grow heavy, to a point where he could barely stand, much less move. It also seemed the other two in his group were going through the same thing.
“This is my power,” said Gichoma, “I can curse things to increase their density, and by extension, their weight. All of you now weigh about ten times what you previously did, enjoy, and thanks for giving me your names, I couldn’t have cursed you if I did*’t know them! Now, come out my pets!*
Several wolves, each about as tall as a grown man appeared at of the undergrowth, and began approaching the group.
“This will only hurt for a bit!” said Gichoma, “Goodbye intruders!”
“Ah they don’t look so tough,” said Hekate, standing upright and drawing her blades.
*What?!” asked Skad and Gichoma together, “How come you can move?!”
“Oh?” asked Hekate, “You thought I’d give you my real name that easily? Are you that stupid?”
“You’ve gotta be kidding!” exclaimed Gichoma, “Just who are you?”
“Would I really fall for that?” asked Hekate
“Darn it, I was hoping you’d reply without thinking,” admitted Gichoma.
“Well, since you asked so nicely,” said Hekate, “I could tell you anyway.”
“Are you out of your mind?!” demanded Skad.
“My real name is Shiniu Kuroho,” said Hekate, “Also known as Shiniu of Capricorn. Nice to meet you.”
“You idiot!” shouted Skad.
“Shiniu… of Capricorn…” commented Gichoma, “Excuse me for a moment, would you?”
“Take your time,” said Hekate.

21-Apr-2010 11:02:19

Dantalian

Dantalian

Gichoma swirled the air with her finger, summoning several sigla, and creating a small portal, on which a person’s face appeared. He had blonde hair with white tips and gold eyes.
“Hey, Aneboth!” greeted Gichoma.
“Ah, Gichoma, what is it?” asked the young man in the portal.
“Um, since your in the House of Light, you know about the Tenzoku‘s government situation?” asked Gichoma.
“Yes, what of it?” asked the young man.
“So, which one of those did Elior Hyperion fall for?” asked Gichoma.
“Capricorn, if I recall,” said the young man, “What’s this about, Gichoma?”
“And was her name Shiniu, by chance?” Gichoma continued.
“Might have been,” replied Aneboth, “Lord Hyperion did refer to her as “Shi* often. But all I know for sure is that her family name was Kuroho… now why are you asking?”
“Just curious is all,” said Gichoma, “Talk to you later, Aneboth, say high to Gessent for me, bye!” And so the portal vanished.
“Well…” said Gichoma, “This just got complicated… Looks like I have to go talk with the others… see you all later!” With this, Gichoma and her wolves vanished, and Alex and Skad found themselves able to move.
“What was that about?” asked Skad as he stood up.
“No idea,” replied Hekate, smiling at him with fake innocence.
Skad twitched “That is the biggest load of bull-”
“Can’t hear you!” Hekate interrupted, “Later!” And so she walked off, leaving her two bewildered companions to follow.

21-Apr-2010 11:04:16

Dantalian

Dantalian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tsk, I hate it when people remember my old stories better than I do... Orcris, who was the character that was like Skad in the original Monolith? I forget...

21-Apr-2010 11:05:52

Orcris

Orcris

Posts: 1,169 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That would be Strides, a beast mercenary(by beast mercenary I hope you remember that they didn't just kill the target but all those around the target, not to be confused with a merc who only kills creatures) who I also believe was half vampire. Quite a vicious fellow I believe. I liked him better than the one I had in the monolith before.
*Orcris~
~Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead.~ Darth Revan
~Est Sularis Oth Mithas~ Sturm Brightblade
~Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality~ Richter Abend
~What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger* Friedrich Nietzsche
~Who I am is not important, my message is~ Darth Revan
~Amor vincit omnia~ Virgil

21-Apr-2010 13:36:34

Dantalian

Dantalian

Ah, that's right, I remember Strides. And are you sure you didn't just like him better because I killed off Erukal in the first chapter last time? ;)
Prefix, the one who showed them what spices to use in order to repel insects was Jayson, the same guy in the Sacred Destiny Series. Bigmaxjay, one of the two authors who inspired me to write on the forums invented him, and proceeded to submit him to any story that I asked for bios.

21-Apr-2010 23:18:00

Dantalian

Dantalian

Chris sat in front of his tent, sipping tea as he looked out over the desert. So far, no other groups had appeared, and thus Chris was beginning to think his group was the last to reach the jungle. Not that this made him any less cautious, of course; the area around his camp was riddled with covered pits and tripwires; as such it should be impossible for anyone to approach the camp unnoticed. Looking down at his cup, Chris sighed.
“I wonder how much longer I can stretch my stash?” he wondered aloud. “Maybe there’s tea growing on this land, but even then, I don’t have time to ferment it.”
“Oh, would you like some from my stash if you run out?” asked an apparently albino boy as he sat next to Chris.
*That would be kind of you, thanks,” said Chris, before returning to his tea. Oddly, something now seemed out of place, but Chris couldn’t quite put his finger on it. Eventually, the Guthixian turned back to his companion wondering if the albino boy had noticed anything. Suddenly Chris understood what was bugging him; there were no young boys in his group, and certainly none that stood out like an albino would. With a swift, fluid motion, Chris unsheathed his sword, but before he could do more, a chill spread through his legs and arms, and the boy pointed a knife at the Guthixian’s neck. Out of the corner of his eye, Chris noted that his limbs were encased in ice, making movement all but impossible.
“Peace,” said the boy, “I did*’t come to fight with you.”
“You’re not being very convincing,” said Chris.
The boy laughed. “If I wanted you dead, I could have killed you by now,” he pointed out, “But I’d rather talk. So, if you give me your word not to attack, I’ll remove my spell and put away my knife, understand?”
“Alright,” muttered Chris.
A moment later, the ice vanished, and the boy had returned to his tea.
“Alright,” said Chris, *What do you want to talk about?”

04-May-2010 19:46:31

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276 Back to Top