Forums

The Monolith

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276

Dantalian

Dantalian

Posts: 3,434 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Irfan nodded and swallowed hard. With a shaking hand, he reached for the doorknob, and steeling himself once more, opened the door and walked into the room.
The inn room was relatively bare, possessing only a single bed, a plain wooden table and a stool, upon which sat a tall man, his features obscured by darkness.
"Skad Helreighn, I presume?" Irfan called out.
The man stood, moving almost fluidly. In the dark, his graceful movement was eerie, giving him an almost otherworldly feel. As he turned to face Irfan two glowing orange-red orbs appeared, piercing through the darkness. It took Irfan a moment to realize what they were; the man had opened his eyes.
"And you are Irfan Nejem," the man's voice seemed to reverberate throughout the room, and was clearly the voice of something no longer human; a creature of raw, unbridled power. The very sound of his voice made every instinct Irfan had scream out for him to flee. But Irfan held his ground, aware that flight would only excite this warrior's predatory drive, and end with Irfan's own demise.
"I am he," replied Irfan, "I assume you have heard my request? I am willing to offer any price you name."
The warrior let out a sound similar to the roar of a large furnace. It was only a minute later that Irfan realized this sound was the warrior laughing.
"I have no need for money," the warrior said, "Nor food, nor drink. All I desire is blood and fame. Will you offer me these?"
"The place you will go has many fierce enemies," Irfan responded, "And is a place none have ever returned from before. Return alive and you will have fame, far more than you gained for your brutal battles in the duel arena. As for blood... as I mentioned, the place you will go is filled with fierce enemies, in addition to those, there will likely be among the group other powerful soldiers who will survive the ordeals of that place... Once you have the artifact we desire, you may kill those companions as well. Is that acceptable?"
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

22-Dec-2009 00:33:29 - Last edited on 08-Jun-2010 01:17:32 by Dantalian

Dantalian

Dantalian

The warrior grew silent and shut his eyes, returning the room to total darkness. Soon after, a faint murmur filled the room; it was a sound not unlike that of a small fire crackling. Irfan, skilled as he was at magic realized at once that an infernal demon had entered the room and was currently conversing with the warrior before him. Yet strain himself as he would, the mage could not make out what the demon was saying. Finally, the crackling grew silent and the warrior opened his eyes once more.
"I shall come," he said, "My sword is at your disposal, wizard. But remember your promise... and know that not one of those you send with me shall return to this land alive."
"As long as you wait until after the artifact is retrieved, we have no objections," said Irfan.
"Understood," said the warrior, "Now go, leave me."
Irfan was barely able to hide the eagerness with which he obeyed that order. A moment later he was halfway down the inn’s hall, an expression of relief clear on his face.
"Hey boss," said the lizard, crawling out from behind a potted plant, "There's something you should know."
"What is it?" asked Irfan.
"I don't think that guy realizes it," answered the lizard, "but the demon he has a pact with is a big-time demon; an Oppressor."
Irfan paused for a moment, considering the implications of this new found knowledge. "Oh well," he finally stated, "Even if the demon is planning something, we need not fear, we do, after all have the Seven Nails on our side."
"If you say so boss," sighed the lizard, licking its face with its firey tongue once more, "Oi, need me anymore, or can I return to the realm?"
"Go ahead," said Irfan, "You have served your purpose."
With a nod, the lizard vanished in a plume of flame, leaving Irfan by himself once more.
"He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

22-Dec-2009 00:38:19 - Last edited on 08-Jun-2010 01:20:11 by Dantalian

Dantalian

Dantalian

Well, there's tonight's add. The next add (on Thursday) will introduce Chris. "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

22-Dec-2009 00:40:37

Orcris

Orcris

Posts: 1,169 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Splendid. That was the exact kind of introduction I pictured for the character. I like that though I give you the character it is already your own and his own as well. I can feel the character already, a personality and a life to it. That seemed to be something you were missing previously, the characters would merely respond to an action(or do what they were guided to) rather than having their own way about it.
I hope you are enjoying your break.
Merry Christmas to all!
~Orcris~
~Est sularis oth mithas~
~Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality~
~Who am I is not important, my message is~

24-Dec-2009 03:39:54

Dantalian

Dantalian

The night was a clear one with a full moon, essentially illuminating the land to a point that was almost bright as day. As such, anyone camped out with his back to a cliff wall and only a lush meadow before him should have had a clear view of anyone approaching. Furthermore, the shadow cast by the cliff wall should have concealed any campsite that wasn't sporting a fire, and much more so a campsite with one lean-to built of old branches concealed within overgrowth at the foot of the cliff. All these things added on top of the fact that numerous well-hidden traps had been set at random intervals on the meadow made Chris completely shocked and terrified when a man clothed in a thick white cloak somehow got a few feet from his carefully hidden campsite, without being noticed.
Any hope that perhaps the figure had not seen the campsite was crushed when he motioned directly at Chris' hiding spot and said, "Come on out."
Grasping his halberd, and still fully clothed in his armor (which admittedly he did not take off even to sleep) Chris approached the strange man.
"Do not be alarmed," laughed the man, "I am not your old master, nor do I mean you harm. Of course, that is what I would say if I were either, so I assume you are still suspicious of me, aren't you, Chris?"
"What makes you think my name is Chris?" Chris asked carefully.
"Ah, clever as ever I see," said the cloaked man, "Even most people who knew you would be made uneasy by that question, and wonder if they had found the wrong person. I, however, am not most people."
"Oh, and who are you?" asked Chris.
"My name has been lost in the annals of time," replied the cloaked man, "So, it has no weight any more. I suppose, therefore, the best answer to your question would be thus: I am a servant of Lord Guthix; the true master of Gielinor, and lord of nature."
"A druid?" asked Chris
"You might say that," replied the man, "Although, many druids are but mere saplings compared to me."

25-Dec-2009 02:06:13 - Last edited on 08-Jun-2010 01:23:19 by Dantalian

Dantalian

Dantalian

"And do you have proof of being what you say you are?" questioned Chris.
"If you desire it," replied the cloaked man. So saying he raised his hands, and to Chris' shock, an entire forest sprouted from the meadow within a matter of moments.
"Impossible!" Chris gasped.
"Few things are impossible for Guthix," replied the cloaked man.
Regaining his composure, Chris said, "I'll listen to you at least. Even if you aren't what you claim to be, since you have such power, I doubt I could defend myself from you if you decided to kill me."
"Perhaps not," said the cloaked man, "But do not worry, that is not why I am here... Recently, a group known as the Eldritch Coven has set events into motion which could disrupt all balance, and plunge Gielinor to the path of destruction. They seek an artifact, sealed long ago by the ancients, who feared and respected its power. Should the Coven get this artifact the world would be almost certainly destroyed, and even if it survived, it would be enslaved to the merciless Coven.
Even as we speak, the Coven gathers mercenaries who would unwittingly bring this artifact to them, and in doing so seal the fate of the world...
Because of this, my Lord, Guthix spoke to me and sent me out to gather certain people he has chosen to save our world from this disaster. You, Chris, are among these."
"You must be kidding!" exclaimed Chris. "I may have some skill with weapons, but even I have heard of the Coven, and there is no way I'm going to be able to make a difference if they are involved!"
"The will of the gods is fate," said the cloaked man, "And against it, none can stand. Once it is in motion we all must bow to its will. Still, the gods do not withhold rewards from their servants, and for you, Lord Guthix has prepared a most kind gift... you, who live in fear, shall be granted security and peace of mind when this journey is over."
"As nice as that sounds, I don't think I'll be coming on this dangerous little adventure," said Chris.

25-Dec-2009 02:09:14 - Last edited on 08-Jun-2010 01:25:58 by Dantalian

Dantalian

Dantalian

"I shall return tomorrow night," said the cloaked man, "By then, you will have changed your mind, and will agree to come with me. For now, enjoy your sleep."
Before Chris could get another word in, the man had vanished, leaving behind only the forest he had created.
"You shouldn't be so sure of yourself," grumbled Chris, "There is no way I will be going on this foolhardy adventure. Especially not after you ruined my perfect camping spot with your crazy power. Guess I'll just have to assume this new forest throws off any would-be intruders, because I really need to lie down..."
So saying, the boy returned to his camp, and was soon asleep.

25-Dec-2009 02:11:07

Dantalian

Dantalian

And here we have Chris, uncooperative isn't he? But then again if a person showed up at you door and announced that his god had decided that you were destined to go on an epic adventurer with great risk to yourself, would you jump right in? "He appears in the Form of a Man with many Countenances; and he hath a Book in his right hand. His Office is to teach all Arts and Sciences unto any; and to declare the Secret Counsel of any one."

25-Dec-2009 02:16:32

Dantalian

Dantalian

Irfan looked over the ship he had enlisted for the journey; while smaller than most of the heavy naval boats docked besides it, it was swift and hardy. Also, and most importantly it and its crew had proven itself countless times at sea; at one point singlehandedly killing off a quarter of Misthalin's navy in a single night. Irfan noted with satisfaction the quizzical and angry looks which Kandarin's naval officers gave the ship; if not for the King's explicit orders (granted only after much convincing from the Coven) this ship would have been attacked at first sight with the full force of Kandarin's navy and coastal defenses.
"A beauty ain't she?"
Irfan grinned and turned to greet the man who had spoken, noting as he did so that all of Kandarin's naval troops were scampering away, while trying to maintain as much dignity as they could. This man towered at nearly seven feet, and every inch of his copper toned body seemed to ripple with muscle. The only hints of this man's age were the grey whiskers which covered the lower half of his face and the cold, dark eyes which hinted at knowledge only gained through experience. Almost as impressive as the man himself was the weapon strapped to his back; an axe larger than a grown man's torso, a tribute to the man's Freminik lineage.
"She is indeed," replied Irfan, "And good morning to you, Captain Naudos."
"That it is," chuckled the captain, "A fine day for sailing. If it keeps like this, we'll reach our destination in a few days time. Although, I admit I enjoy anchoring here and watching Kandarin's "mighty navy" hide like scared children. Still, it will be more fun to brave these unknown dangers you've been going on about. I'm certain my men and me will enjoy this little excursion, and the treasure don't make this journey any less fun."
"I imagine," replied Irfan, "My employees will be arriving soon, will you be ready when they arrive?"

28-Dec-2009 21:44:13

Quick find code: 49-50-495-60050276 Back to Top