Forums

Wildy Rejuv II - Revisited

Quick find code: 380-381-448-65974281

a Miko

a Miko

Posts: 15 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
YES! Thank you for listening for the community with these desirable changes.

Adjusting the Revenant graphics.
- To be fair, I really, really prefer the older graphics, or at least very similar to those, with the old attack sounds as well. If memory serves, the current ones are just copy-pasted from other NPCs.

Addressing the drops within the Revenant Cave to better align with the polled GP rates.
- Suppose yeah. Are there any plans of discussing newer uniques getting dropped? Maybe PVP armour might pass? Idk, but something else, perhaps?

Rework the Mage Arena 2 boss mechanics & graphics.
- Yes for completely reworking the boss mechanics, graphics and the lore behind it.

Nerf the Twisted bow's effectiveness in Mage Arena 2.
- Why not completely remove its usability? Tbow is by no means useless even if it doesn't work against the bosses within this content. This is not me hating on people who can afford it, it's more so that the Mage Arena 1 was mage-only content as well.

Final question, will any of this stuff be polled? Say, nerfing Tbow, changing graphics to both revenants and Mage Arena 2 bosses, etc.?
Completionist, Quest admirer
Joined -06

20-Dec-2017 16:32:33

Mod Ayiza

Mod Ayiza

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
a Miko said :
YES! Thank you for listening for the community with these desirable changes.

Adjusting the Revenant graphics.
- To be fair, I really, really prefer the older graphics, or at least very similar to those, with the old attack sounds as well. If memory serves, the current ones are just copy-pasted from other NPCs.

Addressing the drops within the Revenant Cave to better align with the polled GP rates.
- Suppose yeah. Are there any plans of discussing newer uniques getting dropped? Maybe PVP armour might pass? Idk, but something else, perhaps?

Rework the Mage Arena 2 boss mechanics & graphics.
- Yes for completely reworking the boss mechanics, graphics and the lore behind it.

Nerf the Twisted bow's effectiveness in Mage Arena 2.
- Why not completely remove its usability? Tbow is by no means useless even if it doesn't work against the bosses within this content. This is not me hating on people who can afford it, it's more so that the Mage Arena 1 was mage-only content as well.

Final question, will any of this stuff be polled? Say, nerfing Tbow, changing graphics to both revenants and Mage Arena 2 bosses, etc.?

The changes to graphics won't be polled and I didn't consider the TBow worthy of one either, as it's more of a balancing change.

In regards to new rewards, if the community are happy to talk about uniques then I'm more than happy to take that information and relay it back to the team. We have a great opportunity here to work on this one.

20-Dec-2017 16:45:19

Gistermorgen
Mar Member 2017

Gistermorgen

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Alright, first of all, it's always good to hear projects are reviewed and clearly the Oldschool team have realized themselves that a lot went wrong on the Mage Arena II project. However, I feel even more discussion is needed even apart from the changes now listed in the blog.

The argument is made that Mage Arena II has had the desired outcome for PVP and, whilst I will not argue with this short term, I will argue with it long term. If you put any BiS item in the wilderness, more adventurers will travel there. However, longer term people will not be looking for the cape anymore, or at least not as much and Wilderness activity will decline to what it was before the update. Long term, Mage Arena II will have no effect whatsoever on wilderness activity . Yet, we have given up what could have been one of the most interesting pieces of content released. However, I believe it is not to late to change the way we obtain these new capes. To change the content to what it should have been in the first place, just like Mage Arena I progress waves of monster getting harder in... Well, you know an arena. Players can be attacked in there too!

As a question, what is the rational behind saying this update had the desired effect? How is it going to keep players in the wilderness long term? I'm afraid I don't quite understand how this was successful, rather it was obvious and always going to happen. I'd love to see the figures 6 months from now.

20-Dec-2017 17:22:38

Peterr
Jun Member 2023

Peterr

Posts: 2,462 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for addressing concerns regarding MA2. I’m mostly concerned about how revenant caves is flooding so much new GP into the game. Obviously player concern about alchables is not in any way unfounded, judging by the statistically alarming jump in GP coming into the game revealed in the data stream (which, presumably, was compiled BEFORE rev caves).

I was concerned about power creep as others were with PVP armor but at least those added huge GP sinks. Rev caves sent the economy in the opposite direction so it was by its very nature the antithesis of what ANY player wanted. The PVPers lost because they didn’t get their armour, the PVMers lost because now their favorite boss isn’t worth as much because gold isn’t worth as much, and the lorehounds lost because now Guthix and Saradomin get demon followers, lol.

Maybe we could create whole new armours that exist as a middle ground to statius’ armour. I don’t have all the answers or even very many at all for fixing this but I look forward to contributing feedback to proposed solutions in the new year!

20-Dec-2017 17:27:11

a Miko

a Miko

Posts: 15 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Gistermorgen said :

As a question, what is the rational behind saying this update had the desired effect? How is it going to keep players in the wilderness long term? I'm afraid I don't quite understand how this was successful, rather it was obvious and always going to happen. I'd love to see the figures 6 months from now.

It's not the Mage Arena 2 that will keep wildy active long-term, it's the revenants. One of the best money-makers in-game will always attract more players there which also attracts more pkers. I don't necessarily agree on the wave-based thing cus BiS range cape won't be anything like that either. It should be an upgraded version of its predecessor. Besides, wave system would make only one spot a hotspot whereas having demons (or whatever they'll change to) randomly spawn within the whole deep-wild area increases activity all around. But yes once people have their capes, they might not go back there anymore. Unless they use them for pvp and die, of course
Completionist, Quest admirer
Joined -06

20-Dec-2017 17:29:06

BioMasterZap
Jul Member 2014

BioMasterZap

Posts: 2,542 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
For the Rev Drops, here are some potential rewards I was working on the other week. They could probably do with some tweaks, but the concepts are interesting.

? Staff:
-Stats and Effect: Level 70 Magic. +15 Magic Attack and Defence with 30% Magic Damage. All spells are cast a speed slower. Auto-casts Ancients.
-Why?: Intended as a Magic KO weapon with lower DPS but higher damage spikes.

Ethereal Defender: [Based on VomitchanOCE's suggestion]
-Stats and Effect: Made by using an Ethereal Spike, rare tradeable drop, on a Rune Defender. It has the same stats as a Rune Defender but requires 45 Defence. It can be charged with Ethereal Crystals and will degrade in combat similar to Serp Helm. While charged, it increases damage in PvP based on your Health. Every Hitpoint lost increases damage by 0.2%; so 2% with 10 HP lost and 19.6% at 98 HP lost.
-Why?: Promotes risking lower health for higher damage. Only works with 1H Melee weapons, avoiding Spec weapons like G Maul or AGS.

Deathseeker Ring:
-Stats and Effect: Increases Accuracy and Damage in Wilderness by 1-5% based on Wilderness Level. The boost is 10% of Wilderness level rounded down with a minimum of 1% (e.g. 37 is 3%, 53 is 5%, 9 is 1%). It skulls you when equipped and while worn; the skull persists for 15 minutes when unequipped.
-Why?: Adds a unique ring option for the Wilderness that encourages going deeper. Allows players to easily skull themselves.

20-Dec-2017 17:33:37

A l o e
Apr Member 2014

A l o e

Posts: 41 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have a very well thought out suggestion on what to do with the revenant drops, It's complicated to keep everything balanced and it took me a while to write and think of all the problems and how to fix them but here is the reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/7denuj/all_the_current_problems_with_revenants_dropping/

20-Dec-2017 17:33:58 - Last edited on 20-Dec-2017 17:35:02 by A l o e

Gistermorgen
Mar Member 2017

Gistermorgen

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
a Miko said :
Gistermorgen said :

It's not the Mage Arena 2 that will keep wildy active long-term, it's the revenants. One of the best money-makers in-game will always attract more players there which also attracts more pkers. I don't necessarily agree on the wave-based thing cus BiS range cape won't be anything like that either. It should be an upgraded version of its predecessor. Besides, wave system would make only one spot a hotspot whereas having demons (or whatever they'll change to) randomly spawn within the whole deep-wild area increases activity all around. But yes once people have their capes, they might not go back there anymore. Unless they use them for pvp and die, of course

Yes, I agree with you, after rereading the post they did not specifically attach the improvement of players in the wilderness to Mage Arena II, my bad. However, I really then don't see why they went with an approach so massively different from the original if it wasn't to attract people. What then was the idea behind this approach? Why not do something that both feels, looks and plays like a successor of Mage Arena II? I don't see any logic in the decisions made.

20-Dec-2017 17:42:22

Quick find code: 380-381-448-65974281 Back to Top