Forums

Dev Blog: OSRS Mobile TLI

Quick find code: 380-381-421-65949230

Virtus Zaros

Virtus Zaros

Posts: 427 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just make everything fully customizeable size and transparency show/hide feature with 3 custom saveable presets . Sure mobile would have an advantage when it comes to browser based users, but osbuddy practically dominates overlay app for pc users. There will be overlay apps developed for mobile which will result in practically the same end effect. However the difference being everyone on the mobile/tablet version will get the advantage of overlays vs only half user base.

19-Sep-2017 05:25:22

Amy Zee

Amy Zee

Posts: 18 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dear Jagex,

You want to deliver on a mobile experience, not a miniature desktop experience.

Mobile phones come with support for gestures built-in. For instance, Swipe. Aka, not everything has to be a button.

You can implement finger swipes to show/hide the menus, or trigger certain actions.

You can use multi-finger swipes, like a pinch (pinch-to-zoom) or even a single two-finger tap.

(Two finger swipes to move the camera?)

Most if not all mobile phones and tablets have accelerometers built in. That's also something that can be used in brainstorming features.

But also remember that when using the device, you have a multitude of fingers at the sides of the screen, blocking the content below. An obstacle that wasn't there on the desktop.

Lastly, I suggest you use a full-screen chat window with chat options as you please. Then hide it to a single button when unneeded. (It may flash/glow when there's unread important information, like friend chat or system warnings.)

One final question to the community:
Are you fine if there's some data unavailable on mobile that's available on desktop but wouldn't miss if you didn't know it wasn't there (unless you're actively looking for it)? I'm talking things like Examine text, a logout button, etc...

19-Sep-2017 20:25:43 - Last edited on 19-Sep-2017 20:27:54 by Amy Zee

JonathonSins
Dec Member 2022

JonathonSins

Posts: 263 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is what I saw:

"The choice to have these high-traffic tabs placed on the right is for two reasons. Firstly, we need to be able to open these tabs whilst having windows such as the bank visible simultaneously and secondly, as a bit of a coincidence but it’s worth pointing out,
85-90% of the population are right handed
and although we in no way aim to discriminate between players for whichever is their more prominent hand,
this placement is ideal for the clear majority of our potential user base if general population statistics are anything to go by.
"

Though you may be right to infer about the toggle option.

20-Sep-2017 00:28:13

Lonly Skys

Lonly Skys

Posts: 8 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I love that Runescape is committed to going mobile....as it may be my only means to play atm... there a lot of specific request on making the buttons smaller or more complex,whatever the development team has in store will be great... I think the legacy mode on rs3 would be best on os7 for tablets that are about 5×7 an above... it would fit well...no of course your playable screen would be considerably small by fixing this you could reduce the width right Invent. Scape and map..also the length and hight of the chat... just thoughts....love what you are doing and hope old-school mobile will be released soon. :) untell next time Salvia _ OUT...

22-Sep-2017 04:32:27

Blinded fayt
Apr Member 2020

Blinded fayt

Posts: 1,467 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Has a menu wheel been considered? For example, a small button that then opens a menu wheel that displays all available tabs 360 around the original button. The user can then swipe over to the menu they'd like to view and it becomes the active window.

Thanks for bringing this to mobile, I can't wait to play it!

Cheers

28-Sep-2017 03:31:31

slow fallz

slow fallz

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I just took the survey for the new osrs mobile app. However did not have the option to select my correct phone I have the iPhone 8plus. Did not know where to take this but I wanted to let you guys know figured here was the best place to get it out the phone just came out a few days ago. Thought you might need some testers with the new device :)

28-Sep-2017 04:03:33

PwNaGeHuRtZ

PwNaGeHuRtZ

Posts: 110 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
slow fallz said :
I just took the survey for the new osrs mobile app. However did not have the option to select my correct phone I have the iPhone 8plus. Did not know where to take this but I wanted to let you guys know figured here was the best place to get it out the phone just came out a few days ago. Thought you might need some testers with the new device :)

Dude, I’m hoping it really does come out on iOS. I’ve only seen demos of Samsung devices =( ((((((

28-Sep-2017 17:57:38

Quick find code: 380-381-421-65949230 Back to Top