Forums

Dev Blog: OSRS Mobile TLI

Quick find code: 380-381-421-65949230

Mc Zimo
Nov Member 2020

Mc Zimo

Posts: 10 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
i actually think the design given favors left handed people, of course i haven't played mobile but from the images the most intuitive way, at least for me, to play would be four fingers behind the phone holding it and my thumb upfront to click the side menus (combat, skills, quest, inventory) and inventory whilst having my left hand free to do the clicking elsewhere and so for me having the buttons on the left would mean i could use my left hand thumb for the static buttons and my more dexterous hand for the actual dynamic game.

also i think the ideal layout for combat is very different then anything else, so having a way to toggle the layout between combat and skilling/roaming would be nice.

the last thing i would change is having the world map constantly visible as a lot of activities don't require it or only for a few seconds every few minutes i.e. gathering skills, during most combat, bank standing. i'd suggest having the compass toggle the world map on/off and having it along with the hp/prayer/energy orbs displayed along the right hand side of the screen

14-Sep-2017 19:01:38

Born For PvP

Born For PvP

Posts: 39 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The right side bar should consist of prayer, combat, inv, and mages book. im thinking the screenshots so far don't resemble what your actually thinking of putting there though. Just my observation of needs. I know you don't think the quest icon is a very used tab. Cant wait to test this puppy out! thanks Jagex!

14-Sep-2017 19:14:41

St Scourge
Sep Member 2023

St Scourge

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My suggestion related to commonly used tabs.
It intends to compress them whilst potentially keeping them accessible rapidly and without the large thumb problem.

The basic idea would be one button/tab which upon placing your thumb immediately opens other tabs adjacent to this. you would then slide your thumb to the tab you wish and release to select.
Advantages
-Size of each tab would not need to decrease.
-Muscle memory over time would allow players to access each almost just as fast as individual buttons would allow.
-If players were able to customise these tabs, as their skill improved they could include more options (reducing the radius of each option). This could allow players with larger devices to make it fits what suits them best.
*EDIT For those who didn't quite understand, holding the button would expand a sort of circle which is divided into sections like a pie chart. Each providing a different function when your finger is then lifted from them. If your finger would be lifted from where it was originally placed it would do nothing.*

On a second note i believe a lot of phones are capable of two inputs simultaneously. This could be a fantastic resource in regards to solving your lack of screen space. For those devices not capable you could keep an alternative. Like what Runescape had for Mac users before they had a two click mouse. *EDIT "An option for allow right clicking could be a button on the screen which whilst held would switch and clicking to a right click"*

*EDIT Additonally a double click on the logout button should immediately log a player out. PKers would love this*

I believe player customisability will be key to Runescape mobiles success. Your players are resourceful as i'm sure you're well aware. Give them the tools and they will make it work for them.

Keep up the good work. So disappointed i missed the sign up date for the alpha/beta. Hope i gave you some ideas

-St Scourge out!

14-Sep-2017 20:16:35 - Last edited on 14-Sep-2017 20:31:19 by St Scourge

mangofett
Sep Member 2016

mangofett

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Have you guys considered taking some design ideas from the old RuneScape Classic interface? Don't need a chatbox. Don't need a constantly visible minimap. just flip the menu buttons to the side instead of top and you can get a pretty good mobile UI.

14-Sep-2017 21:53:52

Skeemu

Skeemu

Posts: 5 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
All 14 Tabs should be organized along the bottom, In the same scrollable fashion as Apple Desktop taskbar. I was also thinking of improvising a scroll wheel to scroll through tabs, In the bottom right corner as I think was suggested before.

Chat should be along the left side, going from top to bottom with icons like a globe instead of the word "Public"

Minimap should be toggleable.

Right should simply be holding down on an item for 2 or 3 seconds to bring up the right click menu.

Looking forward to the update!!

14-Sep-2017 23:09:02

Seanyonrs

Seanyonrs

Posts: 66 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
SO far it looks amazing!, however one suggestion, I would advise, is similar as to how one would change their ability bar on runescape 3 from different presets , maybe this system should be incorporated into the chat system on osrs mobile, as i believe the (all,game,public,private etc...) will be hard to navigate on smaller devices. An arrow navigation system or swipe would be highly beneficial to functionality and viewing screen. As for everything else the buttons have a very good setup and I'm really excited to possible be invited to the beta! Thanks -Seanyonrs

15-Sep-2017 00:52:11 - Last edited on 15-Sep-2017 00:53:43 by Seanyonrs

Kapyia

Kapyia

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
How viable would it be to do something like this?

I understand that everyone wanna be able to play RuneScape the same on the phone/tablet as they do on their PC, but I think compromises are unavoidable. I think it's gonna be difficult to be able to to any hardcore PvP/PvM that requires switching a lot of interfaces, because of how clumsy fingers can be on such a small screen (~5" stated in the Dev Blog).

The "Tabs" panel works best with toggles, for sure. But I think you should make the world map function in a similar manner. In my small animation I made it the top Tab, and maybe you could have it remain open even if you access other tabs, and then require the player to press the Map Toggle tab again to close it?

I think moving every social-related (chats, friends list, etc.) to it's own screen might also be a good idea. Your phone/tablet keyboard is gonna take up something like 2/3 of your screen anyway, so you might as well have the chat interface and the things related be their own screen that replaces the game view.

15-Sep-2017 01:29:35 - Last edited on 15-Sep-2017 01:57:49 by Kapyia

Daddie Kiwi
Mar Member 2022

Daddie Kiwi

Posts: 3 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think we don't have a choice due to the limited amount of space available other than to make the chat box transparent. That is going to create a whole slew of other issues such as text color in relation to the environment but the area in which the chat will require is just too significant, As far as what information NEEDS to be displayed, I think you are right on the money. Health, Prayer, Inventory and Chat box are essential. I think all other things can be placed in collapsing tabs on the right and left side of the screen. See how hearthstone mobile handles the friends list and crafting tabs for a good idea of how to proceed. I don't think that all of the chat tabs need to be visible at all times. Swapping to game, public, private, clan and trade can def be within a collapsible tab.

As far as the mini map goes, I would move it to the center of the bottom side of the screen. Movement via the mini map is going to be way more of a priority when playing on a mobile device. I realize that this doesn't really follow the traditional RS UI but you would be surprised at how much is unlocked by moving it there.

Best of luck, you have a huge job ahead of you and a tight deadline to make to have it this year.

15-Sep-2017 02:28:51

Quick find code: 380-381-421-65949230 Back to Top