Forums

What is a tradeable rare?

Quick find code: 366-367-371-65900192

boidae
Sep Member 2023

boidae

Posts: 2,931 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
but is it possible too many merchers got hold of them and jagex wasn't having it?

to collect th tradables costs like bills, why start a game with limited supply caused by hoarders, I'm sure its easy to miscalculate these things upon releasing items

could be player greed that ends up causing a re release, its simply a game, its not hard to draw up a new item, so theres obv a deeper reason for re release

25-Nov-2017 19:02:48 - Last edited on 25-Nov-2017 19:05:30 by boidae

Transcendent

Transcendent

Posts: 35,372 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The most likely reason for re-release of turkeys is it was near Thanksgiving time for the USA, and it was something Jagex could offer again that fit the time, and which they never said they would not offer again, and the turkeys seemed to be popular since many bought them.

Reusing assets is an easy way to deliver items without extra cost, to make profit.

Its unfortunate if some players thought turkeys were discontinued because Jagex said they were tradeable rares or limited to X number of them, or whatever they said at the time of release, Jagex didn't say the turkeys were discontinued though.
Hi.

25-Nov-2017 21:23:36

Kale100

Kale100

Posts: 32,985 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Transcendent said :
I think the fact most players did not invest in wieldable turkeys and only a few did is evidence most players understand tradeable rare does not mean the same thing as discontinued.

But for the few who didn't understand discontinued and tradeable rare do not mean the same thing, there was confusion which cost some players millions and possibly billions of GP.

I think it should be Jagex's goal to try and avoid any future confusion on whether an item is discontinued or not.

I don't think Jagex needs to agree that tradeable rare means the same thing as discontinued when for many years they have not meant the same thing and I think most players understand they do not mean the same thing, but I do think Jagex could possibly come up with new words to more clearly convey if an item may be obtainable through gameplay again or not.

Where are you gathering they do not mean the same thing? The players created the term "tradeable rare" and decided it to mean the same thing.

26-Nov-2017 02:53:07

Kale100

Kale100

Transcendent said :
The most likely reason for re-release of turkeys is it was near Thanksgiving time for the USA, and it was something Jagex could offer again that fit the time, and which they never said they would not offer again, and the turkeys seemed to be popular since many bought them..

This makes no logical business sense. I've explained this before and I'll say it again, because I feel it's worth spreading.

It's a very simple chain of events
1) People buy spins to obtain ingame benefits. You could argue in the event of TH 'rares' that this is for cosmetic reasons, but those cosmetics fetching a nice price upon sale only increases spin demand.
2) Merchants buy TH 'rares' as an inflation-protected investment; this property emerges as a result of fixed supply. This causes prices to steadily rise as merchants buy them whenever they have excess gp.
3) When new TH promotion comes out spin buyers see the price of prior 'rares' and think "wow, if I buy spins I can get a lot of gp". More spins are bought and Jagex makes more money.

By re-releasing items such as Rainbow Capes and Rubber Turkeys, Jagex has effectively broken the chain at step 2. If TH 'rares' have no gp value, demand for spins that reward players with these items decreases.

26-Nov-2017 02:59:56 - Last edited on 26-Nov-2017 03:01:45 by Kale100

Qwis7
Aug Member 2010

Qwis7

Posts: 1,434 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Once again i still do not see why a rare should not be released again.

They released the rare items but never released the discontinued rare items so that alone is enough proof.

If you look at the word it just means its away for some time but can released any time so we all just assume it was something they cant bring back but they obvious can and did.

I also so not see any point in keeping this thread open its done it happend they got all rights to release them.
Just look at the posts its all just repaid words and a childish yes vs no game.

25-Dec-2017 09:19:15

Whatusaytome
Apr Member 2020

Whatusaytome

Posts: 5,767 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
welp, I read a good 7 pages before coming to the conclusion people refuse to use dictionary definitions for words they use, and assume this specific use of a word is the one case where the word does not use its literal definitions.

Discontinued does not, and has never had the dictionary definition saying the stopped production could never be Continued again. This Dictionary definition "To stop production (of an item)" Has Antonyms. to Continue, or Resume production.

There is no legal contract saying Jagex can never rerelease anything, including rares like partyhats. And its my belief if they do release them again, they should be made game-beneficial instead of Player-beneficial. They are useless cosmetics with imaginary player made prices. nothing stable or controlled about them.

If people are willing to pay these prices for a partyhat now, then they will also pay these prices for one if its sold through a store. only this way they can never lose to crashes ever again and added supply to the game will never lower the prices.
Your opinions here can affect us all. Please post for the better

Stepping Stone Partyhats
Update the rules , Trade Lock Scammers

26-Dec-2017 17:20:45

Kale100

Kale100

To Qwis7 and Whatusaytome,
How about we work together, make a simple pro and con list, for let's say, the re-release of rubber turkeys.

PROS
- More people can enjoy rubber turkeys
- Short term gain in TH revenue
Counter: Some new item could have generated near or equal revenue.

CONS
- Long term loss in TH revenue due to breaking investor confidence (outlined on post 145).
- Removes the hard-earned wealth of individuals who bought turkeys.
- Advertising them as "tradeable rares" and then betraying customer understanding is deceitful.

Just to get us started.

27-Dec-2017 22:17:14

Whatusaytome
Apr Member 2020

Whatusaytome

Posts: 5,767 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kale100 said :
To Qwis7 and Whatusaytome,
How about we work together, make a simple pro and con list, for let's say, the re-release of rubber turkeys.

PROS
- More people can enjoy rubber turkeys
- Short term gain in TH revenue
Counter: Some new item could have generated near or equal revenue.

CONS
- Long term loss in TH revenue due to breaking investor confidence (outlined on post 145).
- Removes the hard-earned wealth of individuals who bought turkeys.
- Advertising them as "tradeable rares" and then betraying customer understanding is deceitful.

Just to get us started.

Well... If it is a "Rare" that can be won for free on something every player can use, and is not released with a full written promise that it can never, and I mean absolutely NEVER come back again in the future, it is probably the fault of people making assumptions that makes them lose money investing in things like this.

They should invest like actual investors instead of only thinking something with the label "tradable rare" can be used that way. and thinking that these items are only supposed to be used this way. Teach people to use the charts, graphs, history of literally any item, and teach them that with investing comes risk.

If people lose trust in Jagex for rereleasing items, that's on them, not the company. They probably already do not trust jagex if their trust is based on items not coming back.

So I disagree with the Cons list.
Your opinions here can affect us all. Please post for the better

Stepping Stone Partyhats
Update the rules , Trade Lock Scammers

28-Dec-2017 17:56:49

Quick find code: 366-367-371-65900192 Back to Top