Forums

The Defence of Saradomin Thread is locked

Quick find code: 341-342-605-65228310

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Posts: 22,240 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Last Prophet said :
Solanumtinkr said :
My main source is from Zilyana and her own thoughts. She was a 'famous' commander and how a commander thinks and acts will be mirrored by those under their command. No scrolls required, what we have is her private diary, with her own thoughts and how she acts when we have interacted with her. It's amazing how revealing something can be if its something they don't think others will ever see

I'm not so sure one person can define an entire race...
I don't care what their civilian population is like. They don't live here, their military does. And so far they have lived down to their reputation as zealots.
The purpose of adventure is to shine light into dark places,
Poke monsters with a sharp stick, Then steal anything that isn't nailed down!
To the Manor Born QFC 185-186-367-65788716

07-Dec-2013 17:09:21

Dennorak
Jul Member 2020

Dennorak

Posts: 4,414 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Last Prophet said :
Dennorak said :
Last Prophet said :
Dennorak said :
@lucrendis\n\nDepends, this girl in question (Elispeth or however you spell it) was being used by Saradomin\\\\'s army in order to basically manipulate the population into sending more soldiers into battle against my lord Zamorak\\\\'s forces, so she did cause many deaths. Whether or not she was forced to do this against her will or not is unknown, but she needed to be taken care of, this is war, you have to make harsh decisions
\n\nYour argument is lost if you need to use the word "basically."\n\nAn inspiring song is hardly manipulation. Who wouldn\\\'t try to muster up forces with whatever talents one has against a violent and hateful god such as Zamorak?
\nIts not an inspiring song, its a song that enchants the people in the village into helping the army, it was no normal song...
\n\nWith a song so perfect it could "shake to ash a demon\'s heart," I wouldn\'t call it enchantment. It was inspiring. \n\nIn any case, there is no evidence for or against the supposed enthralling effect of her voice.

Elder Tasgall, a former Saradominist soldier and leader of the Saradominist village in the song before tells Sergeant Mazakon this "Your Icyene blooded Sorceress enchanted them", so there is evidence, and Mazakon's response to this is him saying "Well would you should be glad you are in Saradominist territory, have you heard of Zamorak's recruiting methods", which basically says he knows what Tasgall says is true
Zamorakian Lorehound, Flame of Chaos member, Bilrach enthusiast

07-Dec-2013 17:11:20

[#QUDSWSOIF]

[#QUDSWSOIF]

Posts: 1,418 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
I don't care what their civilian population is like. They don't live here, their military does. And so far they have lived down to their reputation as zealots.

I believe that people should care about the civilians in this type of context, the military have a job to do, may not agree with it but there not there to be friendly, they are there to get a job done, lets just agree to disagree on whether we should judge a race by its military or there military extremist leader lol

07-Dec-2013 17:20:03 - Last edited on 07-Dec-2013 17:20:32 by [#QUDSWSOIF]

Kalitu III

Kalitu III

Posts: 274 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
On the temperament of icyene -

Based upon the Song From Before The War and the Book of the Gods, I believe icyene are very similar to humans.

° In the Song From Before The War, we see in the song that icyene can be loving. Their wishes and desires can be as humble as growing old with their beloved. There is no mention of war and their lives (as Saradomin is not mentioned) do not seem to revolve around theology/worship. As it certainly appears, icyene can be a very peaceful race.
¤ But as we see from Sergeant Mazakon and Commander Zilyana, they can be fierce, merciless, fighters. They can also be harsh and a bit haughty, but this might just be because they are military commanders. As we all know, military commanders are a bit rough around the edges - not exactly the dancing in a field of flowers type of people.
° In the Book of the Gods, we see that icyene live as peaceful farmers. But just like humans, when the government is absent (in this case Saradomin), the people that go bump in the night go out into the day. They show themselves and they commit crimes simply because they can and can't be stopped.

° Like humans, they care primarily for what matters to them. They don't care about what happens in some far off place, as evidenced in this verbatim quote.

And yet, the priest looked solemnly at us as we cheered. He told us that Saradomin had not succeeded in his goals.

We were farmers; those goals were hard for us to see. We were just happy that the fighting had ended. And, with Saradomin returned, the rebels would finally see justice.

- Domus

This is where we can see real similarities. Everyone knows there's trouble and a harsh life for the people in Africa, but won't stop that trouble unless it ends up on their doorstep - just like icyene not caring what happens in another realm, until trouble reaches them.

All in all, they have the potential to be anything, just like humans. But it'll be interesting to see more of them! :)

07-Dec-2013 18:04:57

Kalitu III

Kalitu III

Posts: 274 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What one must remember about Zilyana is that she is in a sense a priestly-warrior - a paladin. So therefore, her thinking would break down into a theological view and a commander's view.

° Her quotation of, "It is not truth until He decrees it so." symbolizes why Saradomin trusts her so much. From a militant perspective, Zilyana was completely in the right. Think about it: She is his chief commander, his right hand. Ilfeen suggested that the two religions make peace and form on alliance, based upon what a random adventurer told them. Zilyana doesn't have the authority to create alliances - that's for the higher ups (i.e. Saradomin) to do.

° And how does she know our word is good? She's surrounded by rivals/enemies (all in striking distance, mind you) and an adventurer just happens to walk up and tells her some intel.

° How does she know that this adventurer isn't trying to trick her (if you sided against Saradomin in TWW Zilyana herself says she doesn't know if she can trust you), or if their intentions are good, that their intel is good? So quite clearly, she's going to sit back and wait for what her superior says. It isn't reliable intel until her superior says so.

° Furthermore, why would you trust a potential enemy? A minute before, Zilyana believed them to be enemies who were going to wage war against her religion and herself - how can she trust someone (who she probably believed) was ready to cut them all down only a minute before?

^^^Another quote, as people are discussing Zilyana. ^_^

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention, the last bullet pertains to Ifleen/the elves in general/Seren & Serenism.

07-Dec-2013 18:09:02 - Last edited on 07-Dec-2013 18:12:20 by Kalitu III

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

She wouldn't even entertain the possibility. She's the sort of commander that would drag a village out of bed and throw them into the front lines, with absolutely no training, then cut down any she could catch running way for 'being cowards' in the think of battle. She's the sort of commander that will stab her allies in the back for the chance of a momentary advantage, even though a little patience would have won them the same thing and kept an ally. She is a high level commander of an army that is Saradomin primary interface with the outside world, and she doesn't have a diplomatic bone in her body.

Her view is whatever she is told by Saradomin is true and nothing else is until she is told otherwise. Any conflicting information is obviously wrong. Anyone who is not a strict Saradominist is obviously evil and evil should not be molly coddled but killed on sight.

Thanks but no thanks. They can keep their religious wingnuts, I'm not buyin.

07-Dec-2013 18:20:59

[#QUDSWSOIF]

[#QUDSWSOIF]

Posts: 1,418 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Solanumtinkr

Yes, she is a wack job commander, but, she does get results, and sadly I think that is why she is still in power, that, and her blind loyalty lol I still do not think you should judge her race by just her, but hay, that's me. We all have extremists, least Saradomin chose Padomenes to lead his army in the battle of lummy ;)

07-Dec-2013 18:30:23

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

If BoL had taken place in Lumbridge proper the first shot would have wiped it from the map and those same commander would have charged happily over the corpses to engage the enemy. Saradomin only went there to attack Zamorak and nothing more. Above the Lore Ep6. It was never about defending the locals, even though they were Saradominist. And that attitude can be seen from the top down. The only one who stuck around was an after thought mechanism to get the token back.

It's no one thing, but a series of incidents that show a distinct pattern of behaviour.

What is implied and what really happens is 2 different things.

07-Dec-2013 18:38:04

Quick find code: 341-342-605-65228310 Back to Top