Forums

RSOF & FANSITES

Quick find code: 278-279-973-65848713

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RE: 3.10 & 4.1 2.10 & 3.1 *

@Lnkmiegel, Hi, the RuneScape Twitter account wasn't even opened until November 2009 & it wasn't really utilized until around March 2010. Same applies to the RuneScape Facebook. Those were the two 'social media' platforms that Jagex used. Both of those accounts are handled in-house.

Just as a reference point, it does appear that there wasn't very much activity on those accounts from the creation date to mid 2011. A review of the posting history on both accounts though the latter part of 2011 to early to mid 2012 tends to also support the notion that these accounts were being used as a means to augment the forums & were not being used as a platform to replace the forums. A review of those replies tends to support the notion that both accounts were being utilized to direct the user of those platforms to the website. This is how the majority of companies utilize social media.

It is also important to note that the Jmods were not using separate 'official' twitter accounts during this time either.

So yes, in a way, by allowing the Jmods to have 'official' twitter accounts has contributed to the appearance that the focus is on social media rather than on the forums.

The role of the volunteer moderator on RSOF is to augment the Jmod staff not replace it. I agree that the RSOF community is great & that RSOF RULES.

Reference:

Twitter

Jagex Games Studio - Joined November 28 2008
RuneScape - Joined November 18 2009
Old School RuneScape - February 21 2013
Jagex Support - January 28 2014

* Corrected Post Reply Numbering
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

11-Nov-2016 18:08:22 - Last edited on 12-Nov-2016 01:33:25 by Windsofnight

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Windsofnight, did I confuse you that much? Lol, I think you meant to say ‘RE: 2.10 & 3.1’ but I get it.
First to clear things up, which I didn’t mention beforehand my response was mostly a result of Mexk’s post (RE: 2.9) as in my perception it wasn’t a true good analysis from Mexk.
To be honest it’s a lot of storyline to cover to explain everything in detail so I do my best to divide it in sections when necessary of how I came to such conclusions.
Jagex (Mod Andrew as a (former)member of the Community Management Team) already knew that one way or the other things wouldn’t work out as they hoped it would be.
At that time Mod Andrew somehow had given away that RuneScape eventually would run into some issues that had no possibility to easily work around and therefore Mod Andrew was already having ideas / working towards a new project, a project we all know he is occupied with today.

As you have mentioned Twitter and later on FaceBook Jagex did have more of such ‘pilots’ alike iCloud (where Mod Mark Hulmes made his presentation of the man behind the scenes).
More or less, to my knowledge, Reddit also was one of such ‘pilots’ being ready for its use if they needed it right away.
Since Mod Andrew had to abandon Jagex to give his new idea space to breath / develop and being put together the ‘Red Button’ in The Office had to be pushed and everything came into motion, something that nobody thought was going to happen that soon.

Anyway, the ‘Old’ Community Management Team needed to be dismantled and after the news of Mod Andrew quitting RuneScape everything was set into motion, dismantling the ‘Old’ Community Management Team and rising a new Community Management Team whom would do something different nobody held possible at that moment, Social Media.
Language JMods were fired, language Forums stopped etc. etc. etc.

(continued)

11-Nov-2016 20:35:47

2_Tron

2_Tron

(continued)

If you look how vast this organisation was then jagex did take a huge gamble. Where Mod Paul M did advertise for Twitter Mod Poppy did so for FaceBook and maybe more JMods but as a result of stopping the ‘Old’ Community Management Team they tried to relocate us, in which they failed as a large part didn’t moved an inch from here.

Many Players of the RuneScape Community never saw the magnitude of movement in RuneScape (as a form of gameplay) as well as on The RSOF. That’s why I lately mentioned to another thread that we are at the era of Zaros. Social Media in some way has led us to take matters in our own hands without much help from Jagex. At least on The RSOF it felt different for a long moment but since a short while we are on our own.
Will it remain so? I don’t know for certain, … yet.

What also did play a role was that there was a strong movement that also did had the idea to exploit ‘Pay to Play’ more than we were used to see and there’s a true possibility that that part of The RuneScape Community was more to be found in the American Community than elsewhere.

Anyway Jagex changed quite a bit and so their ways of communication, to keep the RuneScape engine running, as a matter of course. It was a matter of risk assessment to limit total damage.
I am a bit deriving from my topic. What I do wanna say many things were pretty good calculated therefore I don’t wanna patronise nor defame anything about Reddit, Reddit did have things The RuneScape Community did wanna have and so they could serve as a safety net for The RuneScape Community.

The Reddit Community to me more or less is an American Community where Players have a different way of expressing themselves and a different perception of their Community.
If you would place Europe and America next to each other the only valid equation one could make is that we are both western civilisations but that’s about it. For the rest we are different and apart from each other.

(continued)

11-Nov-2016 20:36:33

2_Tron

2_Tron

(continued)

We see & treat things different our worlds don’t match.
Nevertheless I disagree with your statement ‘Constructive Criticism Versus Whining Little Hit Pieces’, that is not my style nor something that has my support.
Jagex made a choice in the line of development of dismantling the ‘Old’ Community Management Team and the resurrection of a New Community Management Team and we shouldn’t start a war amongst The RuneScape Community for not being able to understand what is going on and how to get Jagex’s focus back again how it used to be, how we are used to see it happen.
Maybe we, as The RuneScape Community, should also change a bit how we look at things and look at others.

11-Nov-2016 20:37:05

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

@Lnkmiegel, lol, no you didn't 'confuse' me. I will correct that numbering for you since it appears that the numbering mistake may have made you feel that I was somehow 'confused' & was in need of a further rendition of 'Jagex Forum History'. :D

My reply still stands though, as it was in to direct response to what 'you have wrote on those two posts' (even though the reference numbering was off & even though you were not replying to the OP directly). :P

As far as your further rendition of 'Jagex Forum History' goes, (like your previous posts), among some of things that you have written about, the timeline still appears to be off.

12-Nov-2016 01:52:44

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Still not seeing the point you're trying to make here, and you still haven't addressed my previous statement. "Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

12-Nov-2016 10:51:48

Anger Alt
Mar Member 2023

Anger Alt

Posts: 16,548 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for that Wilf.

Wilf said :
OS Clans: 23 - 10010

This one seems a bit high, are you sure this is accurate? The others look about right.

Also it's interesting that OSRS General and RS3 General have almost the same number of posts.

12-Nov-2016 11:08:53 - Last edited on 12-Nov-2016 11:11:46 by Anger Alt

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

RE: 3.5

Quoting: I am curious how you got these numbers though, and how many posts are made on the OSRS subreddit?

Erehk Replies: For the forums, the numbers come from comparing the IDs of posts made x time apart, something that YtHaar-Mej showed me (detailed here).

--

@Erehk, Hi, thank you so much for linking that information here.

-----

RE: 3.6: Okay then, since it has nothing to do with the "State of the forums", then why is this posted in a subforum specifically designated to discussing the "State of the forums"? Sounds more like a -Rant- than anything, to be honest. If you're not talking about the 'State of the Forums', then WHAT are you talking about exactly so I can have SOMETHING of an appropriate response?

&

RE: 5.6 Still not seeing the point you're trying to make here, and you still haven't addressed my previous statement.

--

@D4 BE45T (Amdusias), Hi, could you please be so kind as to look at the opening posts again & let me know what it is that you don't understand. Thanks.

12-Nov-2016 14:27:39

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Windsofnight said :

@D4 BE45T (Amdusias), Hi, could you please be so kind as to look at the opening posts again & let me know what it is that you don't understand. Thanks.

I did, and all I'm seeing is a Rant (Specifically the way you worded criticism as "Whiny little hit pieces''). I'm not really seeing the point you're trying to make regarding the Forums, and unless you're going to explicitly tell me what EXACTLY you're trying to say, I am just going to assume that you're tapdancing around my questions, specifically:

"If this isn't about the "State of the Forums", then why is this in a subforum specifically dedicated to the ''State of the Forums''?" and

"If this is ISN'T about the ''State of the Forums'', then WHAT is it about?"

Not really difficult questions to answer in a straightforward manner.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

13-Nov-2016 08:53:59 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2016 08:55:52 by Team Skull

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Anger Alt said :
Thanks for that Wilf.

Wilf said :
OS Clans: 23 - 10010

This one seems a bit high, are you sure this is accurate? The others look about right.

Also it's interesting that OSRS General and RS3 General have almost the same number of posts.

Pretty sure I double checked it but will have another look.

Had a look at the section and it does move fast threads don't stay on the first page for long

13-Nov-2016 10:50:05

Quick find code: 278-279-973-65848713 Back to Top