Quick find code: 278-279-973-65848713

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Commentary

Constructive Criticism

Setting The Bar

Setting the bar is an expression that means making a standard or level that people or things have to meet. Most companies set the bar high. It should go without saying a company does not normally set the bar low.

It appears that the bar is set way lower when it comes to the posting standards used on the Jagex Official Company Titter Accounts in comparison to the posting standards used for RSOF. After all, there has been a number of tweets posted to the official company twitter accounts that contain innuendo & swearing. There has also been political & religious commentary posted to the official company twitter accounts under the guise of a retweet too.

Innuendo, swearing, religion & political commentary are all areas addressed within the companies T&C & the Code of Conduct. One would think that the T&C & Code of Conduct extends beyond the end-user & that an employee would not be exempt from these standards either.

Some people are saying...

Some people are saying & I don't know if it is true or not, that a recent thread in the HLF forums that had as part of the discussion, swearing on Jagex Official Twitter accounts included the following comment made by Mod Matthe in response to that. This is the quote that some people were saying was made: 'I clearly cannot comment on that specific circumstance, but I do not believe we would consider it acceptable for a JMod to swear in a post they make, whether on reddit, twitter or the forums.'

If what some people are saying what Mod Matthe said is true then common sense would tell us that it would not be considered acceptable for a Jmod to engage in innuendo, political or religious commentary either.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

31-Mar-2017 12:07:10 - Last edited on 31-Mar-2017 12:09:47 by Windsofnight

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Follow The Leader

It is no wonder that there might be some confusion on RSOF about whether if it is acceptable to engage in innuendo or use swear words or discuss politics or religion even though the T&C & Code of Conduct does address these areas specifically.

If a representative of the company on an official account makes it appear that it is acceptable for the representative to engage in innuendo, uses swear words or engages in discussions on politics & religion with the companies customers then it makes sense that a person following them may believe that it would be acceptable to do the same on RSOF. After all these are representatives of Jagex on official company accounts that they are following not some random guy or gal.

Solution

Why not engage in innuendo, the use of swear words & discussions of political & religious commentary on a 'personal' twitter account rather than use the companies official twitter accounts to do that. Tbh, IMO, because the customers of Jagex represent a global community ages 8+ years & up, posting such content on an official company account isn't cool & it doesn't make someone look cool either, in fact, the impression that it gives has quite the opposite effect.

It is also worthwhile to mention that because RuneScape & Jagex products are marketed to a global community as family friendly, innuendo, swearing, discussing politics & religion on official company accounts not only reflects badly on the company as a whole but on the brand too.

cc J.Pam

31-Mar-2017 12:08:08 - Last edited on 31-Mar-2017 12:11:36 by Windsofnight

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

TWITTER

JAGEX GAMES STUDIO

Jagex Recruitment Manager Kimberley Hacker gives @GIBiz some top CV & Portfolio tips!

How to brush up your CV for the GamesIndustry.biz Careers Fair by James Batchelor, Senior Editor, Friday 24th March 2017

[END]

04-Apr-2017 12:17:36

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Windsofnight said :

That there was a similar type thread referencing the Forum Feedback thread by Mod Kalaya posted in the HLF recently too which captured some gold replies. Those golden replies according to what some people are saying were along the same lines as what has already been posted in the regular forums & on Reddit on this subject.

Well, I can confirm the rumors of said thread as I am the author of said thread. It is locked now because reasons, and I can not tell you the EXACT details of what was said due to technicalities in forum procedure (namely, I can not link HLF threads on Regular forums as it isn't publicly available), but Matthe did comment on it. A lot.

I can also confirm video embedding is coming soon as per Matthe's comments on that thread as well, but again- I can not link it since it is a HLF thread.

Windsofnight said :

swearing on Jagex Official Twitter accounts included the following comment made by Mod Matthe in response to that. This is the quote that some people were saying was made: 'I clearly cannot comment on that specific circumstance, but I do not believe we would consider it acceptable for a JMod to swear in a post they make, whether on reddit, twitter or the forums.'

If what some people are saying what Mod Matthe said is true then common sense would tell us that it would not be considered acceptable for a Jmod to engage in innuendo, political or religious commentary either.

Also can confirm this to be the case, although I reach a different conclusion than you.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

04-Apr-2017 12:58:04

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

BREAKING NEWS!

NEW JAGEX LOGO

NEW JAGEX CORPORATE WEBSITE LOOK

ARTICLE ANNOUNCING NEW LOGO

gamesindustry.biz - New look Jagex posts record profits by Christopher Dring Senior Editor, Wednesday 5th April 2017

[END]

05-Apr-2017 15:23:02

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

RE: 38.5

Windsofnight said:

swearing on Jagex Official Twitter accounts included the following comment made by Mod Matthe in response to that. This is the quote that some people were saying was made: 'I clearly cannot comment on that specific circumstance, but I do not believe we would consider it acceptable for a JMod to swear in a post they make, whether on reddit, twitter or the forums.'

--

Also can confirm this to be the case, although I reach a different conclusion than you.

------

@Team Skull, Thank you for the confirmation that what some people were saying what Mod Matthe had said was true.

I am not sure how you would reach a different conclusion unless your conclusion is that what he said only applies to swearing & that it would not apply to engaging in innuendo, political or religious commentary with the companies customers though.

06-Apr-2017 15:13:28

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Windsofnight said :

I am not sure how you would reach a different conclusion unless your conclusion is that what he said only applies to swearing & that it would not apply to engaging in innuendo, political or religious commentary with the companies customers though.

What I am saying is...why bother having the rule in the first place if there are differing standards?

You simply want the rule enforced. I say to get rid of the rule entirely. Most forms of swearing would already be covered under the CoC in its current iteration if you removed the rule entirely anywho, which leads to the question: What form of swearing *isn't* already covered? Emphatic swearing, like the "no f'ing way" tweet, which, outside of the fringe minority, nobody really cares about.

This leads to yet another question: IF the form of swearing isn't something people particularly care about, and if the JMods themselves seem to be apathetic on it elsewhere...why is it even a rule still, besides for the sake of it? One could say "buh family friendly D:", but fact of the matter is this: less than 1% of the player population is younger than 13, and I highly, HIGHLY doubt their first thought would be "Well golly gee, I think I'll go look at the RSOF! :D "

They just want to play the game on the computer, plus you're limited to Quick Chat (both reading and typing) anywho if you say you're under 13 until you turn 13, so yea- it's an effective non-issue regarding User Content, so it's not really a relevant point of attack.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

06-Apr-2017 16:37:49 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2017 16:38:26 by Team Skull

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

RE: 38.8

What I am saying is...why bother having the rule in the first place if there are differing standards?

--

Fair enough. I agree that it does appear that there are two different standards here, one for the customers & one for the employees when it comes to engagement in swearing, innuendo, political & religious commentary. This may be a factor as to why there is some confusion on RSOF about whether it is acceptable to engage in swearing, innuendo, political & religious commentary on RSOF.

However, as noted in the T&C for Jagex Products under Section 2. Definitions; & Section 3. Applicability of the terms and conditions, there does not appear to be any distinction that would allow for different standards to exist.

The T&C lend support to the Mod Matthe statement that it would not be acceptable for a JMod to swear in a post they make, whether on reddit, twitter or the forums. By default, the same would apply to the engagement in innuendo, political & religious commentary with the companies customers too since those areas are also outlined within the T&C too.

One question one would have to ask would be is there a correlation between the appearance that there are differences in the standard that is used to engage with the companies customers on off-site official or officially recognized platforms & what those customers may believe is also acceptable to post on RSOF?

08-Apr-2017 17:17:42

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Is there a way to gauge if there has been an increase in the posting of, lets say, swear words to RSOF? There may be.

Back in November NexusOrigin had the following thread called 'Add a forum censor', Qfc 278-279-93-65852176 (18-Nov-2016 16:32:30 - Last edited on 08-Dec-2016 20:55:53). In the opening post a search was done on how prevalent two swear words were on RSOF & the following are the results:

18-Nov-2016 16:32:30 Google searches on the RuneScape website:

F__c site:Runescape.com
About 2,220 results (0.46 seconds)

Sh__ site:Runescape.com
About 4,280 results (0.53 seconds)

I conducted the same search today 08-Apr-2017 & here are the results:

F__c site:Runescape.com
About 3,820 results (0.24 seconds)

Sh__ site:Runescape.com
About 8,290 results (0.53 seconds)

It appears that there has been an increase in the usage of these two swear words on RSOF since November 2016.

08-Apr-2017 17:18:32

Quick find code: 278-279-973-65848713 Back to Top