Forums

RSOF & FANSITES

Quick find code: 278-279-973-65848713

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RE: 38.8

You simply want the rule enforced. I say to get rid of the rule entirely. Most forms of swearing would already be covered under the CoC in its current iteration if you removed the rule entirely anywho, which leads to the question: What form of swearing *isn't* already covered? Emphatic swearing, like the "no f'ing way" tweet, which, outside of the fringe minority, nobody really cares about.

--

Since the rule ties to the T&C are you proposing that the company rewrite its T&C for a minority that wants to swear, post innuendo & political & religious commentary on a gaming forum utilized by a global community?

The reason I ask is that noted within the content posted to threads that have discussed or are discussing changing the rules for swearing, posting innuendo, political & religious commentary it appears that the majority are those that do not support getting rid of these rules rather than them being classified as a fringe minority.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

08-Apr-2017 17:19:37

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

This leads to yet another question: IF the form of swearing isn't something people particularly care about, and if the JMods themselves seem to be apathetic on it elsewhere...why is it even a rule still, besides for the sake of it? One could say "buh family friendly D:", but fact of the matter is this: less than 1% of the player population is younger than 13, and I highly, HIGHLY doubt their first thought would be "Well golly gee, I think I'll go look at the RSOF! :D "

They just want to play the game on the computer, plus you're limited to Quick Chat (both reading and typing) anywho if you say you're under 13 until you turn 13, so yea- it's an effective non-issue regarding User Content, so it's not really a relevant point of attack.

--

Typically when a person is apathetic in the workplace they ususally don't limit their apathy to one area. A company is only as strong as its workforce, and if employees don't care about what's going on it will be reflected in all areas, from customer service to client retention. Apathy prevents a company from becoming the best it can be.

The fact of the matter is that Jagex targets the 8-13 age bracket in their marketing campaigns. RS is marketed as 'family friendly game', meaning the whole family can play together. Swearing, innuendo, politics & religion are not normally associated with the ideals of a game that is 'family friendly'.

The notion that because there is a quick-chat feature in place as the grounds for the removal of the rule is a bit nonsensical IMO.

08-Apr-2017 17:20:42

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Windsofnight said :

Since the rule ties to the T&C

I'll just stop you right here: The Terms mean little, if anything at all, in context. IF we were to take the Terms literally, we'd already technically be violating subsection 11 by posting User Content that doesn't explicitly belong to us (the Subscriber) on multiple fronts. Heck, under its previous iteration, they literally stated they don't monitor User Content despite it being obvious they do.

The Terms literally say "You can find the Rules here" and that's really it, and you forget subsection 21, where we can make complaints if we so choose :)

Trust me when I say this: You do not want to debate semantics and technicalities with me, despite how fruitless it would ultimately be

The Terms are literally only there in case Jagex gets into legal hot water and matters are brought to tort. That's it. Trying to use it as a point of argument shows, to me, that there is a lack of pertinent argument to be had.

Windsofnight said :

The fact of the matter is that Jagex targets the 8-13 age bracket in their marketing campaigns. RS is marketed as 'family friendly game', meaning the whole family can play together. Swearing, innuendo, politics & religion are not normally associated with the ideals of a game that is 'family friendly'.

Target demographic != actual demographic. You forget demographics are never static, and they need to be adjusted to meet fluctuations within said demographic. It also seems like you're trying to intentionally misconstrue my point regarding the Quick Chat feature (Which, if you actually made an attempt to understand the explicit meaning to the premise instead of just immoderately attacking it, you'd see exactly where I'm coming from), so I'll just copypasta, bold, underline, and make it pretty:

continued
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

08-Apr-2017 18:02:23

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Team Skull said :

They just want to play the game on the computer,
plus you're limited to Quick Chat (both reading and typing) anywho if you say you're under 13 until you turn 13, so yea- it's an effective non-issue
regarding User Content
, so it's not really a relevant point of attack.

There, now it should be obvious what the point is. I find it nonsensical to keep a rule that isn't really enforced to begin with and the goldies by and large don't seem to really care about it, but that's just me.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

08-Apr-2017 18:03:13 - Last edited on 08-Apr-2017 18:06:19 by Team Skull

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Windsofnight said :

F__c site:Runescape.com
About 2,220 results (0.46 seconds)

Sh__ site:Runescape.com
About 4,280 results (0.53 seconds)

I conducted the same search today 08-Apr-2017 & here are the results:

F__c site:Runescape.com
About 3,820 results (0.24 seconds)

Sh__ site:Runescape.com
About 8,290 results (0.53 seconds)

And a poster showed that a lot of those results were also duplicates of each other (a simple search factoring in the repeated results will illustrate this point beautifully). I find it rather disingenuous to use Google numbers, insinuating each and every last one to be unique, when even in their search results they state something like "We removed a bunch of repeats, click here to show them".

As to your question regarding tracking an uptick in swearing: That would require a macro of sorts that, very likely, would not be allowed to be used on this site (As you'd be having to pull data from hidden (via moderation) and public posts that still have said words). Plus, one would have to question the worth of even making such a program in the first place as there'd have to be a lot of testing, debugging, etc associated with it to avoid duplicates and false positives...for what? The equivalent of "for teh lulz"?

I mean, you like to tout the raw volume of posts made on here daily. Do you think that every last post can be accounted for in terms of moderation, given the current size of the moderation team? I would be genuinely surprised if they could as it's impossible to cover every last post. Sure, they could always make an Auto-Mod like how Reddit has and cover absolutely everything, but that would require time and resources that, quite frankly, the Web Team doesn't really have (if what they say is true).

08-Apr-2017 18:23:11 - Last edited on 09-Apr-2017 13:15:33 by Team Skull

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Windsofnight said :

One question one would have to ask would be: is there a correlation between the appearance that there are differences in the standard that is used to engage with the companies customers on off-site official or officially recognized platforms & what those customers may believe is also acceptable to post on RSOF?

Ivan Pavlov already covered that concept over a century ago.

08-Apr-2017 18:28:14

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

JMOD TIDBITS

FEEDBACK ON THE NEW LOGO DESIGN

REDDIT

Reddit - Jagex posts record revenues for second successive year - submitted 3 days ago (110)

OP: Links to article on gamesutra - [To view full article please see post 38.6 dated 05-Apr-2017 15:23:02 of this thread]

[END]

Reddit - Jagex Has a New Logo! (twitter.com) - submitted 3 days ago (164)

[END]

Reddit - Submitted To: 2007scape OLD SCHOOL - I took 5 minutes to make a new Jagex Logo! It has components of both the old & new ones. Tell me what you think! (Version 1) submitted 1 day ago (182)

OP:

[END]

Reddit - I took 5 minutes to make a new Jagex Logo! It has components of both the old & new ones. Tell me what you think! (Version 1) submitted 1 day ago (102)

OP:

[END]

Other Reddit Threads On The New Logo

[END]

TWITTER

According to Mod Nin the new logo represents...

[END]

RSOF

RSOF: New Logo & Company Site by Mod William QFC 294-295-365-65898164 05-Apr-2017 16:36:15 - Last edited on 05-Apr-2017 16:36:48 by Mod William

[END]

Other RSOF Feedback Threads On The New Logo

Funorb - New Jagex logo? by ScaperFun Qfc 14-15-794-65898263 05-Apr-2017 22:15:33

New Jagex Logo by Krystelle QFC 14-15-744-65898618 07-Apr-2017 03:33:54

New Logo by F4 Qfc 278-279-396-65899087 08-Apr-2017 17:28:45

[END]

cc: J. Pam

09-Apr-2017 14:56:48

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

JMOD TIDBITS

PSA- MASTER QUEST CAPE REQUIREMENT CHANGE

REDDIT

Reddit - Heads Up - Master Quest Cape req change (self.runescape) submitted 3 hours ago by JagexDoctor Mod Doctor (19)

[END]

TWITTER

RSOF

RSOF: PSA: MQC & Achievements System by Mod Shauny Qfc 16-17-959-65899331 09-Apr-2017 14:08:31

[END]

09-Apr-2017 17:48:07

Quick find code: 278-279-973-65848713 Back to Top