Forums

Abandon Google's reCAPTCHA

Quick find code: 278-279-796-66165623

Wolfblue42

Wolfblue42

Posts: 3,962 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why is this prompting on just navigating threads...

I tried to go to a thread on General and got logged out and had to do the puzzle,relog in. All in the span of only 10 mins of forum use.

I can get it popping up if you wanted to go to my account settings. But for just browsing the forums seriously? Require my pet's name and 3rd city where I lived in addition?, just overkill...

The authenicator and this are just making the forums more annoying to bother logging into anymore.

28-Oct-2020 20:15:52

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,605 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Applejuiceaj said :
Bumping this up again myself, as the current Captcha solution has started getting extremely intrusive the last few days, including in the last few minutes.

I've been logged into the forums for about an hour this afternoon. I did not have any Captcha when I logged into the site. However, in the last 5 minutes, I had a Captcha when I...

- Attempted to open a thread.
- Attempted to advance to the next page in that thread.
- Again, after solving the first Captcha (and it highlighting it as being successfully solved), I was asked to solve it once more.
- Attempted to post a response on a different thread and was asked to solve it again. After successful completion, I was asked by my browser if I wanted to resubmit my submission - I did, and the post was only posted once thankfully.

That's extremely intrusive to me - it makes my navigation around the forums quite annoying to be prompted that often.

There is nothing peculiar with my browser - its pretty much stock Firefox on this machine, and my browsing habits aren't strange either. This has only started this past weekend - I experienced similar yesterday, but haven't prior to that. Previously, it was the occasional prompt at login.

I am seeing similar behaviour.... it is way too excessive.

I do not understand how it is not possible to distinguish the users with valid cookies post two-step verifying a login and then not show CAPTCHAs for 30 days? If we can avoid entering a password for 30 days, surely we can avoid proving we are who we claim to be through CAPTCHAs?
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

31-Oct-2020 18:14:18

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Applejuiceaj said :

Corder said :
Just use the 'Game Client' to login into The RSOF and leave the 'Game Client' on your desktop for the rest of the day to log into The RSOF and I am sure the only thing you need to solve is the 'sliding puzzle'. NO Captcha.
Btw, using The RSOF for roughly 14 hours a day is pretty damaging for your own health. Just take more breaks and leave The RSOF as they are as your own health is far more important, take some fresh air outside and taste the real-life outdoor. :)

04-Nov-2020 10:00:08

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 44,941 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
Just use the 'Game Client' to login into The RSOF and leave the 'Game Client' on your desktop for the rest of the day to log into The RSOF and I am sure the only thing you need to solve is the 'sliding puzzle'. NO Captcha.

Since a bit of clarification appears necessary:

- The Captcha right now is the slider puzzle verification.
- Per my previous post, it was received 4 times in less than 5 minutes, from website navigation.
- I was never prompted during that time to re-enter my RS credentials. Only solve the puzzle, again and again, when trying to change forum pages or perform forum actions.

This isn't a case where logging in from the game client would change anything. This was purely from navigating around the website while already logged in.

For what its worth, I haven't gotten into a scenario like that since those 2 days at the end of October, so hopefully that was a fluke that has since been resolved. But even then, its not ideal.

04-Nov-2020 14:16:51 - Last edited on 04-Nov-2020 14:49:41 by Applejuiceaj

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've not had this for roughly 3 days now. Not even when logging in for the first time, though it does load for a while after clicking sign in.

Hooray ^_^
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

09-Nov-2020 03:01:21 - Last edited on 09-Nov-2020 03:01:49 by Corder

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
To 'circumvent' reCAPTCHA, when logged in in RuneScape just go to the Lobby and find a news-link to The RSOF, and you are logged in into The RSOF without the use of reCAPTCHA thus Google not phishing for your data.

Any other '...CAPTCHA' is as bad as the others but on a different level.
As this thread was talking about 'Google's reCaptcha' there's less to no issue at most only leaving us with the 'Sliding-puzzle' which has its own learning process/variables which may pop-up at any time when necessary, being a pain in the ass or not.
AI-learning comes with a lot of possibilities and the future might bring more of these tresholds for people who wanna have access to anything they like, if they have the authority to gain access. ;)

09-Nov-2020 10:03:28

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mexk said :
So, uh, bumping this up again.

Rather than loading the CAPTCHA upon attempting to log in, the following loads:

The highlighted support article, by the way, links to http://ds.tl/help-third-party-plugins.

This link does not work... mainly since ds.tl (seemingly) no longer operates.

Seems like Jagex removed that barrier recently. I can now log in using a very locked down Firefox browser.

11-Nov-2020 09:09:01

Pepsi River

Pepsi River

Posts: 216 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the informational post, I never knew captchas posed a privacy concern for people honestly.
From the small bit I read about it, it seems hCaptcha is better, so I support this idea too.

Is the sliding puzzle thing also google, or what?
It's the only verification thing I see used now, much easier to complete lol.
Convenient links
Forum Help V2 : Support Centre : Too many logins?

11-Nov-2020 13:30:21 - Last edited on 11-Nov-2020 13:32:59 by Pepsi River

Quick find code: 278-279-796-66165623 Back to Top