Forums

Abandon Google's reCAPTCHA

Quick find code: 278-279-796-66165623

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 22,959 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
... the session the link creates ...

What did you discover about our online privacy, concerning using in-game links to The RSOF, that should concern us?
That Jagex does gather data from The RuneScape Communnity is understandable but you seem to be alarmed about "something" that should concern us more than we do right now.

31-Jul-2020 13:48:30

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,605 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2_Tron said :
... the session the link creates ...

What did you discover about our online privacy, concerning using in-game links to The RSOF, that should concern us?
That Jagex does gather data from The RuneScape Communnity is understandable but you seem to be alarmed about "something" that should concern us more than we do right now.

... you make three pings to Google and one to Facebook when logging in unless you block it. However, you cannot block it if you wish to login because you have to pass a reCAPTCHA check. Additionally, you continuously have googletagmanager running as you use the site normally. I mean, I feel like I have tried to make this clear since my very first post. It seems as though you understand what I mean with logging in from the game or lobby now though, which I do appreciate. Whether or not this should concern you is entirely subjective and depends on how much you trust Google to handle your data appropriately.

All I am saying is that it should not be necessary in the first place.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

31-Jul-2020 13:58:47 - Last edited on 31-Jul-2020 14:23:28 by Mexk

2_Tron

2_Tron

This is what I said earlier ...

2_Tron said :
... Any other '...CAPTCHA' is as bad as the others but on a different level.

Google already moved beyond a point of no return. The only thing to do is to keep it in good shape/order being alert to keep them at bay.

I do worry more about "Corona/Covid-19" and how much/far Governments will go in collecting data and working together with companies you and I do know nothing about, hence I said "Any other '...CAPTCHA' is as bad as the others but on a different level."

The Internet, our daily life, your phone company, your ISP, your shopping mall, your fuel station, etc. etc. etc. ... they all harvest data from you and you are defenseless, they all do know something about you.

All those pings ... yeah I know but in the line of what did it bring me, negative speaking, nothing troublesome yet.

31-Jul-2020 14:25:53

Hmm
Jan Member 2016

Hmm

Posts: 13,000 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I mean so many people said they haven't had Captchas, I decided just take a look at the source code.

There is no Google captcha on the login forms anymore, so maybe Jagex is happy with Imperva from earlier and my previous comment of them doubling up is wrong.

Considering that Google would likely start charging Jagex to make use of it's Captchas now, Google may have been its own enemy here.

So it seems like Google wasn't at the point of no return, they got yeeted plenty fine.

Or the page is bugged and they'll be back next week, but yolo.

31-Jul-2020 15:06:49

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,605 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm said :
I mean so many people said they haven't had Captchas, I decided just take a look at the source code.

There is no Google captcha on the login forms anymore, so maybe Jagex is happy with Imperva from earlier and my previous comment of them doubling up is wrong.

Considering that Google would likely start charging Jagex to make use of it's Captchas now, Google may have been its own enemy here.

So it seems like Google wasn't at the point of no return, they got yeeted plenty fine.

...fingers crossed. Imperva is another story though, but I guess it is better than Google.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

31-Jul-2020 17:08:56

Maynne

Maynne

Forum Moderator Posts: 52,416 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mexk said :
Hmm said :

...fingers crossed. Imperva is another story though, but I guess it is better than Google.

Do you have information about the track record of Imperva with regards to privacy? I have no knowledge of that company/service, personally it sounded like a fly-by-night service.

How can I trust something that I had not heard of before.

02-Aug-2020 03:43:48

Liewin

Liewin

Posts: 12,413 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am all for "Abandon Google's reCAPTCHA ... And replace it with hCaptcha if you absolutely must". I have it up to here how far Google has infringed upon our lives. I am not so far as to deny all cookies, but I have told Google firmly I do not want it to follow me around.
Honi soit qui mal y pense

07-Aug-2020 15:12:44

2_Tron

2_Tron

Liewin said :
I am all for "Abandon Google's reCAPTCHA ... And replace it with hCaptcha if you absolutely must". I have it up to here how far Google has infringed upon our lives . I am not so far as to deny all cookies, but I have told Google firmly I do not want it to follow me around.
As I had said earlier Google has already moved beyond a point of no return and if you do wanna know, it started as much as in the 1970's - 1980's of previous century and you can't escape it, as well as Jagex can't ignore it or make it go away.
If you wanna fight Google you have to go to Silicon Valley. :)

09-Aug-2020 08:44:39

Hmm
Jan Member 2016

Hmm

Posts: 13,000 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello to the new, non Google Captcha

I'm very impressed with the latest addition to clue scrolls Jagex has implemented. It may fare better in the actual game however.

Captcha is now provided by https://www.geetest.com/en

28-Aug-2020 18:20:34 - Last edited on 28-Aug-2020 18:23:26 by Hmm

Quick find code: 278-279-796-66165623 Back to Top