Forums

Did Forum Mods Kill Forums?

Quick find code: 278-279-694-66258551

Pis2ols

Pis2ols

Posts: 1,648 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Forums is now basically dead. This section is for forum discussion and this post will likely be removed, like the last post "Did forum mods kill forms" after FMods got called out for power abuse.

There's no place to even report a forum mod clearly abusing their powers as the forum moderation review thread got locked. My point will be proven further if a FMod decides to hide this post.

There's 1 post every 5 days for even the most popular threads in the past, that would get 15 posts a day.

Would love to hear a Jagex moderator or other player opinions if management will try to re-vamp forums or let it die off. Forum mods obviously cannot remain unbaised as they've been around since the start and want to protect their privileges of moderating over a dead community.

I'll be happy to personally revitalize forums but the only people in the way are forum mods censoring as many posts as possible.
https://ely.gg
- The most popular RuneScape PC/Trade Community for RS3 and OSRS

Join over 23,500+ Players on Discord:
https://discord.gg/rs3

25-Jul-2022 00:35:00 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2022 00:41:16 by Pis2ols

Nick3

Nick3

Posts: 42 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There's certain users who've ban evaded for years by teetering on that fine line from being asked to go away, that have ruined the experience for many. In my opinion, the volunteers aren't the issue. They atleast keep this graveyard tidy :P .

25-Jul-2022 05:47:21

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,469 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Forum Mods actually have relatively little freedom of action: they can act only in line with guidelines provided to them by Jagex Staff, and their actions are reviewed by those Staff.

As such, they have no real power to abuse; the cry of 'power abuse' invariably comes from someone who has had a post actioned and doesn't like it, because they don't like the rule set by Jagex.

And really, how exactly are you contributing to a positive atmosphere by trying to resurrect a thread that was locked for its extreme negativity over 15 months ago?
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

25-Jul-2022 08:37:55 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2022 08:41:06 by Archaeox

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 23,025 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
'
Did forum mods kill forums?
'... to my knowledge I do not think that that is the case.
Changes in The Entertainment Industry changed The RuneScape Official Forums and being 'forced' to support Social Media is what eventually killed the crowd/RuneScape Community in The RuneScape Official Forums.
Players are somewhat 'over-enthusiastic' when it comes to Jagex/JMods presence, therefore if those JMods are forced to invest their work elsewhere, alike Social Media, the crowd/RuneScape Community gets affected and an exodus at hand. That's what happened to The RuneScape Official Forums.
About forum mods ... yeah ... somtimes it gives me a feeling that for a decade we are forced to swallow desertsand and see how we cope.

25-Jul-2022 09:22:57

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,719 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Did Forum Mods kill the forums?

No, social media killed / is killing the forums.

Before Twitter, Reddit et al came along, the forums flourished... and back then there were many, many more FMods, so we're not the problem.

In fact, FMods do the opposite - we do our best to keep the forums afloat, we constantly push Jagex to improve the forums, we take part in discussions, many of us start our own threads, etc.

There will always be criticism from those who don't like rules but as Arch pointed out, we just follow guidelines set by Jagex.

Believe it or not we were as upset as anyone about the removal of a place where our decisions could be questioned, we used to hassle JMods every week to post on the thread in question (FMR)
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain"

25-Jul-2022 12:45:42 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2022 12:51:47 by Rooh

Tranq
Nov Member 2007

Tranq

Posts: 61,832 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honestly The forum mods didn't kill the forums. As others have said the lack of J-mod social interaction made many go by the wayside. People enjoyed seeing golden posts around the forums. Back in the say we had 12 count them 12 dedicated J-mods who oversaw the forums. So there were plenty of people to interact with. Now there is 1 and they have other duties besides the forums to look after.

Jagex took the notion as a business why interact with those that are already interested in the product and rather go speak with the masses who may not have heard of us. Granted it's a great way to grow the business model. However they neglected the loyal player base.

If there in an issue you can always ask for clarification on forum help. Just be sure to not let your feelings get in the way of a strong cogent query. The F-mods will explain why said action was taken if it wasn't clearly spelled out in the moderation post. If there is a question of what can be perceived as unmodly behavior they can escalate it to the J-mods for review and they'll have the ultimate say in the matter.
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

25-Jul-2022 13:09:15

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Archaeox said :
Forum Mods actually have relatively little freedom of action: they can act only in line with guidelines provided to them by Jagex Staff, and their actions are reviewed by those Staff.

As such, they have no real power to abuse; the cry of 'power abuse' invariably comes from someone who has had a post actioned and doesn't like it, because they don't like the rule set by Jagex.

And really, how exactly are you contributing to a positive atmosphere by trying to resurrect a thread that was locked for its extreme negativity over 15 months ago?

Have to agree here.

Its quite clear that mods did nothing to contribute to how the forums are now as that was all done by reddit and the like.

As much as i also dislike how the mods do things from time to time, its obvious they want the forums to stay active as much as the rest of us.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

25-Jul-2022 15:04:19

2_Tron

2_Tron

Posts: 23,025 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said :
Have to agree here.

Its quite clear that mods did nothing to contribute to how the forums are now as that was all done by reddit and the like.

As much as i also dislike how the mods do things from time to time, its obvious they want the forums to stay active as much as the rest of us.
Stay active with more and more people with a wrong mindset!!! Against the Code of Conduct.

25-Jul-2022 17:07:25

Pis2ols

Pis2ols

Posts: 1,648 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rooh said :
Did Forum Mods kill the forums?

No, social media killed / is killing the forums.

(FMR)

There's more than 10+ people, like JTV, myself, and others, who quit solely because of one forum moderator in item discussion. I created Ely, which has 50x+ the users forums has now in a year, partly because of my dissatisfaction the forum moderators here. It's living proof that an item-discussion community can thrive under a different moderation team.

I've known you for some time and you've been great, but I can't say the same about the other staff. It's not that Reddit/Discord overtook forums, it's that moderators drove people off.

The idea that "forum mods simply enforce the rules" is simply not true.

As a few examples of Forum Mods driving policy: one in particular created policy with Mod Kari that single-handedly killed off friends chats and the item discussion forums.

1. Banning mentions of FC (done by a forum mod):
This policy killed off Th Rares Pc, 90 weps pc, nex and ss, r quark, and countless others that were once 100/100 just because they didn't want anyone to link to my friends chat. The economy FC system died because of this rule alongside FCs updating price check threads.

2. Banning "useless" threads (done by a forum mod):
People won't post anymore because a FMod deemed threads useless. I still remember someone tried to price check Seeds and the mod said it's "useless" and got taken down. That player never posted again.

3. Banning "related threads" (done by a forum mod)
I got my thread approved by Mod Poerkie in specific and it had a lot of traffic for token price checks. When Poerkie left and was replaced by Kari, a forum mod in particular went out to get approval to get my thread taken down.

It got taken down now, I quit, and I created Ely to price check instead.

I can promise you that Forums can be popular again, if there's changes in the staff.
https://ely.gg
- The most popular RuneScape PC/Trade Community for RS3 and OSRS

Join over 23,500+ Players on Discord:
https://discord.gg/rs3

26-Jul-2022 04:40:09 - Last edited on 26-Jul-2022 04:45:29 by Pis2ols

Quick find code: 278-279-694-66258551 Back to Top