Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AoDude said :
Hey, loved your prank ;)

Question for you though... Since the web devs are not willing to add features like a way to identify new/unread threads/posts; is that something you might be able to add into linkify?

That's something I will be looking into quite soon. I've been thinking about something as simple as having an option to re-colour visited links (thread titles). However I need to look into this some more because there are actually heavy restrictions in javascript with interacting with visited links.

It's definitely on my to do list though :)

24-Oct-2015 05:59:20 - Last edited on 24-Oct-2015 05:59:48 by Indecent Act

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Actually the thread titles are not in link form (more the whole box is)

The thread title is an h3 - ".thread-plate__title" class. I see no reason why you couldn't inject css to alter colors/font-weight.

Now if you could cache the qfc/post count from the link displayed in a given thread from class "rsLinkify-poNo" you should be able to compare it to the link in class "thread-plate__last-post", example: "forums.ws?261,262,33,65181208,goto,905#9040" Though I would probably snip it down into a multi-dimensional array/table and only update the last post with reference to the qfc.

(I have only spent a little time auditing your extension's code, so I may have made some leaps in concepts.)
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

24-Oct-2015 08:06:54 - Last edited on 24-Oct-2015 14:56:46 by AoDude

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
AoDude said :
Actually the thread titles are not in link form (more the whole box is)

The thread title is an h3 - ".thread-plate__title" class. I see no reason why you couldn't inject css to alter colors/font-weight.

Soz character limit, had to snip your post :/

The issues I've encountered so far with this are not so much with determining visited threads. It's managing the data. Caching everything could end up being a huge mass of thread titles or QFC's. Putting an expiry time on cached data comes with a new set of problems, for example I have a thread on High Level Discussion that's years old.

Also the more massive the cache means more work, perhaps iterating over thousands of cached threads, and cross referencing them with 20 threads per page. I know this stuff gets executed fast, but linkify does most of it's work during page load, and it's something I have to be careful of.

There are ways to determine if stored threads don't exist, but that requires work from the forums, perhaps that is or is not an issue, but again it's something I must be mindful of.

I'm not saying I can't or wont do it, just that my issues are not with coding it, it's more about finding an effective strategy that doesn't cause problems down the track. Font-weight will work but some of the forum fonts don't support bold and they get blurred. Changing font would work or perhaps use italic.

As for the visited link colouring, it can (in theory) be done with CSS as the parent element is an <a> and by using inheritance it should be possible for the child elements to inherit the visited colour.

I'm usually pretty good with inheritance and specificity but I don't think I can do it with a pure CSS solution, it would be ideal if I could. It's been a while since I've looked at it so hopefully when I revisit this I'll make some better progress :)

24-Oct-2015 10:46:44 - Last edited on 24-Oct-2015 11:02:02 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've been busy since all the fun stuff started happening :( I'm just popping in here to say that despite some of the criticism you've gotten, I think this was a very fun idea overall and I liked it! The H'ween themed joke was well done and I was expecting this so, funny story:

It got me completely by surprise. I was running on my older laptop and instead of running completely it sort of flashed really quick on my screen with S E V E N up top, I was like O_O

X_X

haha
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

24-Oct-2015 10:48:42

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top