Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amaethwr said :
Nice, didn't know that stuff :P

But yea, there's this extension "Download chrome extension" so you can install many (/any?) of the extensions in the Chrome web store
https://addons.opera.com/extensions/details/app_id/kipjbhgniklcnglfaldilecjomjaddfi

I did read somewhere that they use the same engine, I guess that has something to do with it

Thanks for the link, I might install it and check it out.

Yes they both dropped webkit to use an open source engine that's actually based on webkit. I can't recall it's name though. Google claimed they were able to drop over 4 million lines of code and improve stability by making the switch.

Anyway I'm going to and see how linkify runs on Opera. If all goes well I might edit my OP to mention linkify can run opera :)

23-Sep-2015 15:26:33

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posting with RS Linkify running on Opera :)

Thanks for the info Amaethwr ­<3

So far everything seems to running as it should. I haven't seen any errors (actually that's not true, I haven't seen any linkify errors) in the console as yet.

23-Sep-2015 15:39:17

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
I can't recall it's name though. Google claimed they were able to drop over 4 million lines of code and improve stability by making the switch.
Blink? Think that was the name of it.. But damn, 4 million lines gone is impressive :P

And same here, no problems yet, if I do see something not right then I'll try and recreate it on Chrome and let you know :) ­<3
Selective Completionist

23-Sep-2015 15:44:33

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Thanks Amaethwr that's good to know :)

I just tested a few features that rely on chrome's API's (restore last post and things like that). So far no issues at all.

I can't believe how seamless and simple the whole procedure is. I've already edited my OP to include Opera and posted the link you provided to the Opera addon.

Thank you very much again, this is pretty awesome and really nice surprise :)

23-Sep-2015 15:51:53

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Haha, np :) I was surprised at first too.. Thought Linkify would need to be sort of re-written, but then I saw something about Opera being able to use Chrome extensions and I jumped at it
Selective Completionist

23-Sep-2015 15:55:39

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Indecent Act said :
I might have a look and see what's involved in porting linkify to opera so it's available Opera add-ons. But for now this is great :)
Don't worry about it if its not so straight-forward, since its so easy already :P I'm just wondering if Opera will automatically update it when you push a new version out, since its from a different browser's store.. Will wait and see :)

Repotable said :
Is there a RS Linkify for Microsoft edge?
No idea about this sorry, not even sure if Edge supports extensions at the moment, haven't looked into any of it..
Selective Completionist

23-Sep-2015 16:42:16

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Repotable said :
Is there a RS Linkify for Microsoft edge?

I"m not running windoze 10 (yet) so I can't even begin to think about that. But I thought Edge wasn't supporting extensions until later in the future (old info so I might be wrong).

I guess the answer is no there isn't RS Linkify for edge. If microsoft make it so developing a browser extension is like coding for the web then maybe one day, that's a big maybe though.

I'm sure you can appreciate I do all my developing in my spare time. Even supporting just one platform gets hard at times. If I stretch myself too thin, every version will suffer for it and it wont be enjoyable for me or my users.

I guess I pretty much answered your question, but this is what makes it hard to support all the major browsers...

Browser vendors need to stop making their own propriety standards for coding extensions. Web based languages alone are not enough to develop for Microsoft and firefox browsers. Seriously what's with that? The same code the browser executes on web page cant be run as a plugin, those people should be slapped hard for that. At the end of the day it's the end users that miss out.

23-Sep-2015 16:50:25 - Last edited on 23-Sep-2015 17:00:40 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Amaethwr said :
Don't worry about it if its not so straight-forward, since its so easy already :P I'm just wondering if Opera will automatically update it when you push a new version out, since its from a different browser's store.. Will wait and see :)

I hadn't thought of that. Tbh I'll be surprised if it does.

I have just been reading some of Opera's dev docs. From what I can tell the API's I use, Opera supports. Also it looks like I'll have to make very few changes. I already found some small differences that will require minimal changes, but basically it looks like I can pretty much drop my extension over to them pretty much as is.

I'll need to do some more testing, and run opera for a few days before I get too excited.

But I'd like to get my app on their site because the method for using chrome extensions could break from a single update from either browser.

23-Sep-2015 16:58:26

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top