Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-sets a cuppa out in hopes of attracting a wild Indy to hug- :)

That looks rather nice, Blasty, but will there be a way to limit the amount of names showing?

Blasty said :
The thread OP request will include the number of likes and the display names of the likers.

If 50 people, for example, like a post, that's a rather long list of names to display every time the thread is opened? What about people who do wish to like a thread, but not have their name put up on a list... Will there be an option to like anonymously?

Just offering some feedback on the functionality itself, since I don't understand the other half lol :)

­­­­ The Purple Sorceress ­­­­
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

11-Jul-2014 18:09:41

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The request has the full list of names, but the UI can be designed to only show a couple at a time :P

I think facebook has something that goes: 'Liked by Alice, Bob, Carol, and 10 others', then when you click/hover on ' and 10 others', a list of the rest of likers appears.

That'd probably be a good way to do it.

i

­­
­­<
Blasty
the Blue
>­­
­­
Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

11-Jul-2014 18:38:40

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Blasty said :
Would it be possible to include smilies in highlighted quoting (and other images/urls via alt attribute)? :O

Forgive me, I've just woken up so I'm not getting most of this.

Not sure what you mean, if you mean read the underlying html of the selected text, yes I can do that but I'm not sure why you'd want it quoted.

Main reason I haven't gone with a like button is because I don't like em. I can tell what most liked posts and threads are already and tbh for me it's disappointing. But I'm way too tired to take this in right now. Also I don't know how many threads there are on HLF but monitoring likes for them all, that's a big resource and also how long to keep the data?

The white space tags and such, I have a few ideas and even using existing tags. Consecutive spaces are trimmed by the forums, leading spaces in a post are too. But nbsp is fine and I think there is some other kinds of spaces that is fine too.

Post backgrounds I'll probably move to custom post settings. Users customising backgrounds and textures I'm not confident with. Your idea for a texture for op and concurrent posts could work. I don't see any issues with that.

Rowley suggested a while ago about making OP's posts in a thread stand out or be easily identifiable and I'd like to do that.

I guess I need to get back to you on all these things when I've a had couple of cups of coffee, just too tired to think properly atm. I just posted cos I wanted you to know I've read your posts :)

This is what I need right now (must be seen in HD Full screen to get that aroma)...
http://vimeo.com/60691992

11-Jul-2014 21:47:08 - Last edited on 11-Jul-2014 22:25:30 by Indecent Act

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Rowley suggested a while ago about making OP's posts in a thread stand out or be easily identifiable and I'd like to do that.

Reading that made me think of the blue ribbon like they have on the player edited Wiki pages, and I think a smaller version of those placed somewhere identifiable on the OP's posts would look nifty :) . That's just an idea to toss around though

-passes you a humongous cuppa to wake you up-

­­­­ The Purple Sorceress ­­­­
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

11-Jul-2014 22:10:08

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Not sure what you mean, if you mean read the underlying html of the selected text, yes I can do that but I'm not sure why you'd want it quoted.

When highlighted text is copied and pasted, the alt text gets copied so that gave me think there might be an easy way to do it with javascript. Looking into it I don't think there is an easy way >.< The reason I asked is because when a smiley surrounded by spaces gets quoted you end up with two spaces in a row, or when a smiley is at the end of a line, you end up with a space at the end of it.

Indecent Act said :
Main reason I haven't gone with a like button is because I don't like em. I can tell what most liked posts and threads are already and tbh for me it's disappointing. But I'm way too tired to take this in right now. Also I don't know how many threads there are on HLF but monitoring likes for them all, that's a big resource and also how long to keep the data?

I asked in sha ky's fc and most people were interested in it but there were some concerns about hunting for likes. I think it could be interesting to also be able to see a list of threads that you or other people have liked and have a list of threads that have gained likes recently.

There are 50 pages per section and 20 threads per page so 1,000 existing threads per section to keep track of at a time. I think limiting it to store 3,000 threads per section at a time should be enough.

The colours of freshly juiced coffee are fascinating :O Hope you enjoy :P Sorry about posting so much all at once >.<

i

­­
­­<
Blasty
the Blue
>­­
­­
Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

11-Jul-2014 23:05:25

TDX

TDX

Posts: 2,545 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, I understood very little of the last few pages. Backgrounds!!!

Thanks Indy! That thread certainly took a while to make. Shame about the char limit. :(

Anyways, just stopping by to leave you some of the biscuits I made today! :)

http://puu.sh/a6vtR.JPG
Everybody cares about things that nobody cares about.

11-Jul-2014 23:46:58

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Blasty said :
Sorry about posting so much all at once >.<

Post as much as you like. Never feel you can't or do post too much. If you ever feel that way then I have failed, because this thread's purpose is the exchange of information and ideas. Your posts are often a source of inspiration and I value your input greatly. Don't hold back, ever!

Regarding OP's posts being highlighted, whether by a background texture or colours or whatever. This is where I'm at...

As far as I'm aware there is no data in the page that tells me who the OP is. I can get this info from the first post in a thread or from here...
http://puu.sh/a7ku4.jpg

However if you landed on this page via a link from another thread I have no way of determining who OP is. Yes OP could put a tag into all posts they make however that will be no doubt inconsistent.

My thinking is if the first page is viewed or like in the above pic the thread is clicked I can get and temporally store the OP's name and the QFC and thus apply some kind of highlight to their posts.

While navigating the QFC will be checked against the stored QFC, if they match, then posts with the stored OP name will be highlighted.

If the QFC doesn't match or there is no QFC it means we are no longer viewing that thread and know not to apply a highlight.

But if you land on this very page from a link outside of this thread, I need to silently request page one, get first post and check the name. By that time this page as well and truly loaded. When I get a callback from page one I can then apply highlight to OP's posts. There will be a delay however in this case.

(by highlight I mean either recolour or apply textured background)

When QFC doesn't match (or a new thread is clicked) the stored OP's name and QFC gets overwritten and the process repeats.

That's what I have come up with, this will work with threads made by non linkify users cos no tags needed to id op

12-Jul-2014 00:25:30 - Last edited on 12-Jul-2014 00:31:51 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Continued.. Grrr character limit...

That's the best I can think of to cover all forum users. Hope that makes sense. Tags could be used to specify a particular background colour or texture.

The 'Like' thing I'm not disregarding but it's not a priority for me. I have much more to do. I'm happy to discuss it though, but it may be a while before I contemplate doing it :)

@Bakey, aww yum!!! ­<3

12-Jul-2014 00:25:58 - Last edited on 12-Jul-2014 00:36:06 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top