Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
Although I wonder... why not leave NPAPI as a prompt-only feature?

Well I guess it would be like linkify supporting redundant features that for all users will decrease performance, increase bloat and for some weaken security. Only to find that less than 5% of people use it and 100% of people lose performance. I doubt anyone could convince me that's worth doing.

In late 2013, 5% of googles users used NPAPI plugins in a given month. Since then google has refined and provided alternatives, and worked with devs to help migrate to what's believed to be better technology (netflix and adobe are two that come to mind).

According to google "This change will improve Chrome’s security, speed, and stability as well as reduce complexity in the code base."

In all honesty, aside from security, I don't know what difference we'll see in those areas. I don't expect to see an instantly noticeable difference though.

There is an irony to all this, I've seen a number of comments on various threads on RSOF and on other websites. The very same people who bashed Java, are the main ones expressing concerns about NPAPI being dropped.

Java and all other NPAPI plugins should work like an executable file that you launch from your computer. You see people will click 'yes run this time' in the browser more often than they will download, unpack/install the same (perhaps potentially malicious) code.

With NPAPI , nowhere does it say hey you're logged is a admin, that means I am too, and you know why it doesn't tell you that? They know any sane person would think twice about allowing it.

These are all mostly just my opinions and nothing more. I've been wrong about things before and no doubt I'll be wrong about things again.

But I'm okay with being wrong, because my opinions are about moving forward. I like many aspects of technology, both old and new as long it's not stagnating :)

16-Apr-2015 03:01:25 - Last edited on 16-Apr-2015 04:33:48 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Singularity said :
I'd like to see Linkify support other web browsers in the future. Idk, my experience with Chrome seems to be worsening each passing day - always seems like a new problem arises with this browser. It used to be so good but now it seems like such an excessive cpu-hogging and memory-eating browser that just kills my web browsing experience. The only reason I stay loyal to Chrome to this day is because of your extension, it's the only thing that makes putting up with the constant issues worth it.

If a firefox ever becomes available, I'd drop chrome in a heartbeat and move there. :D

Fortunately for me I don't have those issues. As far as memory issues goes, RAM is the cheapest and most significant upgrade you can do it terms of bang for buck. Though that's not always the solution, and it's not a 'fix'.

If any browser is such a heavy resource that your system and experience is suffering because of it, I'd personally have concerns too, but not just with the browser.

I don't have high amounts of RAM nor top of the line CPU. My computer does lots of work and I run all the major browses, not having those issues with any of them. Then again no two conglomerates of hardware and software behave the same so what I experience will almost always differ to others.

Chrome's strengths for me are simply how my accounts are integrated. Synced data is great. To able to sign into different sites using a chrome account. The two step authentication is nice too. Google drive, youtube, etc, and the fact it's so nice to develop on.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Linkify on firefox. I will one day give it a try (actually a second try), and when I do it wont be full featured.

16-Apr-2015 03:20:30 - Last edited on 16-Apr-2015 03:38:39 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I sort of don't understand how it'd hinder performance for all users if it remained disabled by default or prompted on a case by case basis.

I think their line of thought is bordering the concept of "micro-optimisation", when it comes to NPAPI affecting performance, and that's not good. And surely, by making it so YOU choose which NPAPI thingies you run, there's virtually nothing to worry about. I don't see Jagex taking advantage of invulnerabilities to infect my system.

I'm not against niché features and some are actually needed.

I'm surprised we haven't heard word from Oracle about this. Surely, isn't this affecting their financials greatly?

All in all, I don't agree with Google's standpoint. But then again, who am I to argue about what's best with a multibillion dollar company?

In short: let people execute NPAPI on demand while leaving NPAPI disabled by default. Everything will be alright.

Sorry, rant over.

16-Apr-2015 05:21:13 - Last edited on 16-Apr-2015 05:23:03 by Morgan

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

^No please, go for it, not a rant imo and I welcome it :)

There is much I don't know about the inner workings of browsers, and that I don't understand too. I'm only saying what I know or know to be correct.

I can't say why or even where performance changes will be, but I make no assumptions weather they'll be micro optimisations or not.

There is some nice information that explains some things better than I can, and written by people who know way more about this stuff than I do.

As I said I have no issue with a browser dropping support for outdated code running unrestricted on my computer. I do find it interesting that people want this, or even want the choice.

I'm pretty sure there are no (if not none, very few) mobile devises that support NPAPI. Even though I'm not a big mobile user, this is significant to me because I really like the idea of a standardised web. These devices are moving forwards rapidly and not because of their support for legacy technology.

Here's a nice little read that touches on some things mentioned.

https://tuftsdev.github.io/DefenseOfTheDarkArts/students_works/final_project/fall2014/sbhatia.pdf

As for Oracle, I believe they declined to work with chrome to form any solution (can't find the source right now). Oracle's official stance is use a different browser.

Edit:

Oh I just want to say, if a browser is not doing what you want it do, then maybe it's not the right browser for you. I use more than one browser, chrome is my choice for syncing data and developing.

Just because I support chrome's move away NPAPI is not me suggesting that chrome is perfect or the best, nor do I recommend anyone change their browser to chrome. I'm not into the browser wars and I think most people know that, but I want to make it clear :)

16-Apr-2015 06:18:14 - Last edited on 16-Apr-2015 07:17:52 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

@Chiefmichael, that's nothing to do with RS Linkify.

Original message details are unavailable.
No support.

It's not a measure of quality posts. Imo it doesn't tell us anything relevant. Why not make a system that encourages quality posts?

Edit: See here for the original thread.

16-Apr-2015 08:08:57 - Last edited on 16-Apr-2015 08:10:41 by Indecent Act

nat
Sep Member 2022

nat

Posts: 7,813 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not to start an argument, but you could see peoples postcounts and what they've posted on for a very long time. The community was already talking down on new and less active people.

I think it's an interesting feature and I don't think it encourages bullying more so than whats been present.

16-Apr-2015 08:11:06

Jakir

Jakir

Posts: 4,506 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Singularity said :
I'd like to see Linkify support other web browsers in the future. Idk, my experience with Chrome seems to be worsening each passing day - always seems like a new problem arises with this browser. It used to be so good but now it seems like such an excessive cpu-hogging and memory-eating browser that just kills my web browsing experience. The only reason I stay loyal to Chrome to this day is because of your extension, it's the only thing that makes putting up with the constant issues worth it.

If a firefox ever becomes available, I'd drop chrome in a heartbeat and move there. :D

Not to threadjack but Linkify for Firefox is available and I've linked to the addon and script in my thread :P
261-262-415-65607853

16-Apr-2015 09:04:16

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top