RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

trist
Feb Member 2020

trist

Posts: 4,558 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :

trist said :
Is there any chance that linkify could be used with Firefox in the future? Since Google chrome is becoming really bad now

I wasn't aware chrome was any better or worse than usual. As for firefox, one thing I'm doing with this build of linlify is designing it with intention to port it to firefox.

However the plan is to do light version of RS Linkify and I haven't even started on it, so don't expect anything soon. I'm not guaranteeing it'll even make it that far, but when I'm on top of this build I'll look into it.

By "really bad", what I mean is chrome is no longer supporting stuff like Java, silverlight and some other stuff which is commonly used so a lot of people are moving towards stuff like firefox I think

15-Apr-2015 18:39:01

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh well that's something I welcome. NPAPI plugins interact with your OS with same level of privileges as your user account. That's quite a concern that web based technology can do that, and is a source of a number of ongoing security issues .

Imo there is no need for anything on the web to be able to interact with my OS with (in some cases) administrator privileges. There are perhaps exceptions for some users who have particular niche cases, but that certainly doesn't apply to me or anyone I know.

I don't know how long Firefox will support it, they consider NPAPI legacy and have been encouraging developers to move away from it for some time. NPAPI plugin technology was great in 1995, but we've come a long way since then.

As for Silverlight, it's been deprecated for a couple of years now, flash has moved away from NPAPI and many others have too. If developers insist on using depreciated/legacy technology and not provide any alternative (yes alternatives exist) then I'd question if they are at all concerned with their user-base's best interests.

If you're interested I made two posts here outlining what I know about the matter. Firefox haven't said they are dropping it, but I believe NPAPI's days are numbered.

Anyway none of that has anything to do with my support (or lack of) for Firefox. I'm interested in supporting Firefox and fortunately the NPAPI thing doesn't make any difference to Linkify, for me it all comes down to time.

15-Apr-2015 19:16:22 - Last edited on 15-Apr-2015 19:42:46 by Indecent Act

Froud
Aug Member 2010

Froud

Posts: 17,915 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indy, I was checking out the "Runes of RuleScape" and noticed this:

http://i.imgur.com/fsOGcKD.png

http://i.imgur.com/YyLKyZ5.png

The red arrows indicate that it doesn't exist when I am on the page; every other item exists, though. And, if I were to go to "Skills" and hover over "Game Guide," "Skills" would appear in the drop-down menu.

The second image also factors into every clicked section. For example, if I were to go to "Community" and hover over "Game Guide," "Runes of RuleScape" doesn't appear.

Was this intentional? :o

15-Apr-2015 20:08:39

nat
Sep Member 2022

nat

Posts: 7,813 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Great pic Nat!

I had to make some adjustments, mostly the placement of your name. You'll see what I mean when it's framed in the circle avatar space.

I hope my edits haven't done an injustice to your artwork. Let me know if it's not cool.

http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10707.png

Ah it looks fine, I didn't do the artwork though, someone named Garden-Pie on tumblr did x_x

THANK YOU THOUGH

15-Apr-2015 20:44:14

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Very informative post. Thanks Indy.

Although I wonder... why not leave NPAPI as a prompt-only feature? That way the user is able to run plugins such as Java safely from sources they trust on a case by case basis. Seems harmless as long as it's run with my consent. So why disable it altogether?

15-Apr-2015 23:42:49 - Last edited on 15-Apr-2015 23:46:18 by Morgan

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'd like to see Linkify support other web browsers in the future. Idk, my experience with Chrome seems to be worsening each passing day - always seems like a new problem arises with this browser. It used to be so good but now it seems like such an excessive cpu-hogging and memory-eating browser that just kills my web browsing experience. The only reason I stay loyal to Chrome to this day is because of your extension, it's the only thing that makes putting up with the constant issues worth it.

If a firefox ever becomes available, I'd drop chrome in a heartbeat and move there. :D

16-Apr-2015 01:33:28

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Froud said :
Indy, I was checking out the "Runes of RuleScape" and noticed this:

http://i.imgur.com/fsOGcKD.png

http://i.imgur.com/YyLKyZ5.png

The red arrows indicate that it doesn't exist when I am on the page; every other item exists, though. And, if I were to go to "Skills" and hover over "Game Guide," "Skills" would appear in the drop-down menu.

The second image also factors into every clicked section. For example, if I were to go to "Community" and hover over "Game Guide," "Runes of RuleScape" doesn't appear.

Was this intentional? :o

Yep that's because I only allow RS Linkify to run on forum pages. The first time you install RS Linkify chrome tells you it can access data on h ttp://services.runescape.com/m=forum/. That means any pages out side of that Linkify wont run. So on the wiki, hiscores, all secure pages, log in pages, home page, etc Linkify isn't doing anything.

16-Apr-2015 02:08:24

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top