Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
W-what if you asked nicely... like...

"H-hey Strawpoll's iframe, could you please give me your dimensions :( ? I don't want to exchange saliva with you :( "

Maybe that'll work!
(From a non programmer's perspective :D )

I've tried that and I've tried yelling at it too, all without any success :(

In all seriousness, I have looked quite deeply into it, and once I hit that wall of security I realised I need a completely different approach. These security things are very restricting, even for seemingly trivial and harmless matters. But they are there for good reason.

There are some other solutions but they don't actually solve my main problem. I could use my site to host polls and even have some nice features, poll archives and such. I could easily embed them in the forums and eliminate all the current issues. I could write my own poll api tailored to linkify too.

But none of that helps when a strawpoll link is posted, it's still not embedded. I'd rather handle current content that's posted, rather than create more. Also it's a matter of priorities, it's not like polls make up a huge part of the forums. Generally we see a couple of polls now and then, then nothing for a while.

So my feeling is the time and resources I'd have to invest could be put to better use. I expect after a year or more of hosting polls the amount of polls created would be very low. I also suspect the data from most of the polls would have little to no application elsewhere. I don't mean that in a mean way, I think I've created more useless polls on Blasty's HLF Polls than all the HLF combined.

If I do anything, I think it'll be along the lines of what posted before, using my site to covert urls to embed code. But right now I'm remaining non-committal :)

11-Mar-2015 13:23:13

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Mantellio said :
Is there linkify or something for firefox? Not up to use chrome...
Sorry if it was answered. This thread is pretty big and didnt read it all.

Lol I don't blame you for not reading it all. All questions are good, even repeat ones so don't hesitate to ask.

A FF port is something I want to do, and I looked into it some time go, but I hit a few brick walls so I've had to rethink the whole thing. Recently someone else had a crack at it (Ryan M). He made some good progress but also hit a few brick walls.

It's possible I may make a greasemonkey script, though it will be lite version. That way there will be something.

The thing is I can't give an ETA. There is a major forum update just around the corner and I've put everything on hold until then. My focus will be getting things back up and running for chrome. When things settle down after all that, I may look at something for FF.

I'm sorry I cant be more specific, so many unknowns right now. Something for FF is on my mind though.

11-Mar-2015 14:33:10

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yea, that's fine to be honest. Like you said, it's not like polls are a big priority for people.

Indecent Act said :
There is a major forum update just around the corner and I've put everything on hold until then.
Yea, this is why I haven't been suggesting new ideas and stuff.

*offers hugs instead* :)

11-Mar-2015 14:57:55

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Morgan said :
*offers hugs instead* :)

Big HUGSSSS right back at ya ­<3

Also as far as suggestions go, now is actually the best time. I know I keep saying everything is on hold, and that's true. But it's not meant as I don't need or want to hear suggestions.

RS Linkify is currently getting re-written from scratch, and if I'm going build new stuff into Linkify, now is the ideal time for me to make provisions for that.

Sure it means you wont see new suggestions implemented right away, but depending on the suggestion, it could get built into the core of linkify rather than be tacked on later.

On hold simply means you wont it see it implemented as quickly as I'd like, but I still want to hear it :)

­­­­

HyunA, done! Refresh titles and you should be all set :)

­­­­

J3 said :
Sinner!

I'd be disappointed if that were not the case.

I myself, am a fan of several sins :)

11-Mar-2015 15:36:40 - Last edited on 12-Mar-2015 00:49:50 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
-signals the Indy horn-

Is there a reason Youtube videos don't embed if there is no http(s)://?

Otter said :
I thought it was something else I promise :( ..

I thought I was passing out chocolate chipmunks.. like.. Chip and Dale......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtc3A9uP2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtc3A9uP2Q

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLtc3A9uP2Q
Unslain Bosses - Clan

12-Mar-2015 06:11:07

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Did someone say coffee?

­­­­

Hevilmystic said :
Is there a reason Youtube videos don't embed if there is no http(s)://?

Yep, there is, and it's not limited to youtube either. Linkify does make an attempt to add the prefix in some cases, but I haven't developed it beyond the very basics and I'm not sure if I will.

Determining a url from a conglomerate of plain text is not as simple as it may seem.

I need all the clues I can get, and one of the best clues is the http prefix. The two consecutive forward slashes followed by a colon is also very handy.

www. is not reliable on it's own.

Awww.
^
That's kind of what I mean, though it's not the best example. But in my early testing I found quite number of cases where three w's followed by a full stop occurred in text that wasn't a url.

The other thing is not all urls have the w ww.
h ttp://puush.me/
for example. So the www is not a reliable way to determine a url.

Urls copied from the address-bar have the full prefix, so in most cases it's not a problem.

I think you'll find when a url is posted without the http prefix it's been typed rather and copy/pasted. Those people deserve a special kind of punishment, a combination of extreme pain, ridicule, and the words Hyper Text Transfer Protocol should be neatly branded into their skin. This may seem harsh but it's actually a kindness, and makes a good reminder that sloppy urls are bad.

It could be the url was posted with the intention of not having it embed, however the special punishment still stands as the share option was not used to avoid smiley corruption of the link.

12-Mar-2015 07:20:34 - Last edited on 12-Mar-2015 07:42:23 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top