Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay, so after a few tries, we came to the conclusion that the HLF polls thingy is a bit unreliable. Sometimes the server seems to time-out and stops responding, but most of the time it works. Keffy did this poll and it worked: https://hlf-polls.appspot.com/140/r

11-Mar-2015 03:36:19

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks Morgypie, not sure why that is. I have no way of knowing either.

Blasty is no longer working on it and unfortunately I can't auto embed strawpoll properly. The strawpoll dimensions are not obtainable. If I can find a workaround for getting their height I might look at embedding them.

11-Mar-2015 03:49:46

Morgan

Morgan

What about this?
http://puu.sh/gvoOr.png

It says 600 x 390

EDIT: Although I'm sure this isn't what you need, or else you would've found it already. That was too easy!

11-Mar-2015 03:54:07 - Last edited on 11-Mar-2015 03:58:08 by Morgan

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I would have figured you could have set a percentage then height:calc(X% - Zpx);, but what would fix it isn't possible. That XSS protection. Good, but slightly annoying. I don't think it's worth it as I doubt Strawpoll will do an API.

11-Mar-2015 04:49:57

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Morgan said :
That was too easy!

Yes I wish it was that easy, but people don't post that. People post something like this http://strawpoll.me/3842785

The link gives me no information about the dimensions. Since the poll is wrapped in an iframe and the iframe content doesn't come form runescape's domain, I can't talk to it to find it's dimensions.

Notice Blasty's poll links have ?h=500, the number tells me poll is 500 pixels high. Same limitations apply to his polls. They don't interact with the pages, and linkify is not in the middle passing data between the two.

The only way this can be done is allowing linkify to talk to strawpoll by changing my content security policy. That's the equivalent of allowing these pages to exchange saliva with an external website. That could do more than leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth.

Edit:

Ryan M,

I have tried a few things but to my understanding it doesn't work. The only safe way I know of would be to make an api hosted on my site, where the strawpoll url is submitted from linkify and using curl I can get the embed code and return that back to linkify.

11-Mar-2015 05:24:34 - Last edited on 11-Mar-2015 05:50:23 by Indecent Act

Morgan

Morgan

W-what if you asked nicely... like...

"H-hey Strawpoll's iframe, could you please give me your dimensions :( ? I don't want to exchange saliva with you :( "

Maybe that'll work!
(From a non programmer's perspective :D )

11-Mar-2015 12:20:52

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top