Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Rugmonkey, I keep forgetting to do something about the right click menu, but since you have reminded me I'll take a look today :)

@Amaethwr, for now I'm keeping the side panel so it moves with page. Just about all forums work this way. I have a couple reasons for this. Basically it won't be floating, won't be movable. Of course I may change some things but this is how I'm starting out.

See here for a forum that uses something similar
http://gtaforums.com/topic/505960-new-unique-vehicles-found/

My side panel is large, I don't want it to cover forum avatars (it will on small monitors though) but I have a quite a bit of text to take care of.

Here's my latest pic (it's changing all the time)
Actual width...
HTTP://puu.sh/4VUpj.jpg

The reason RS Discussion is a different colour is because that's the forum section I was looking at when I took the screenie.

­­
­­­­~ Blame Rowley if it doesn't work ~­­­­
­­
­

21-Oct-2013 21:32:57

Meredith wtf

Meredith wtf

Posts: 4,160 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think using a fixed position would be better tbh. I don't want to have to scroll all the way back up to the top of a thread to go back to the hlf, plus it doesn't make the content area any smaller or push it to the right.

http://jsfiddle.net/jKhUe/

Something like that, except pretty­

21-Oct-2013 22:10:42

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Blasty said :
How do you get last post data? :o­

­­From the forum sub section page.

This isn't actually I how I traverse the DOM, but I wrote it like this so you can see where it is, including text nodes.

console.log(document.getElementsByClassName('lastPost')[1].firstChild.nextSibling.firstChild);
//returns date & time
console.log(document.getElementsByClassName('lastPost')[1].firstChild.nextSibling.firstChild.nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.firstChild);
//returns last post name.

As I said that's not how I get them, I iterate through the elements a bit more elegantly but that's the only way I can describe where they are in relation to all nodes. Hidden threads will throw errors, so you must evaluate the number of children first, if that looks suspect skip and call it hidden.
­­

I can make the side panel fixed, that no problem and was how I initially had it. It just looked bad when scrolling down the page because the top married into the menu area nicely. Then scrolling the page leaves a big gap as the menus disappear from the top of the page. I can't have the side panel at the top of the page because it will obscure some of the menus. It's mostly aesthetics, having fixed content mixed in with scrolling content needs to look good if it's something you're always seeing. I haven't been able to strike a happy balance.

Probably better if I posted some pics to describe what I mean, might do that later.

If scrolling back up is an issue, fixed doesn't really fix that. It just makes a second peace of scrollable content. If the panel is fixed it will be screen height and will have a scroll bar on it, either way you have to scroll and fixed means the page will now have two scroll bars, one on left and one on right.

Edit: I might just make it optional to float it.

­­
­­­­~ Blame Rowley if it doesn't work ~­­­­
­­
­

22-Oct-2013 04:57:13 - Last edited on 22-Oct-2013 06:29:23 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

@MichaeISword,

I haven't done any updates lately, so nothing has changed recently.

I hardly recognised you without your custom avatar :(

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Not sure if you can back up your settings if it's not working, but that might be worth a try before uninstalling.

­­
­­Custom Avatar Changes
see this post ­­
­­
­

22-Oct-2013 07:13:03

MichaeISword

MichaeISword

Posts: 8,294 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Uninstalling worked, thank you! I did a system restore earlier today reverting a couple days backwards to reverse my uninstall of my outdated Java, since the new one I tried to install wouldn't work. I wonder if that somehow made it stop working. Anyway thanks for the speedy reply :) ­

22-Oct-2013 07:23:57

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top