Forums

Donate to Oxfam with Bonds

Quick find code: 254-255-428-65527823

H Stencil
Aug Member 2020

H Stencil

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I rarely post but the whole “This is disgusting…” post just struck me as so so wrong.

It’s not better money if you only give with “good intentions” and if people donate for “bragging rights” or “material things” it’s still A GOOD THING.

“You are luring in gullible players who have no interest in the real reason of charity what so ever”… YES THAT’S WHY IT’S GREAT. If this reaches people who would not otherwise give to charity then it’s the best possible outcome.

“it's supposed to leave you with a good feeling thinking "I've helped someone today"” – No it's not about you, and if you think charity is about feeling good about yourself then I don’t see how this is any better than doing something for “bragging rights”.

Charity is not about “the goodness of heart”, it’s about real people needing help and Oxfam needs money to help them so if this raises a few pounds then the job is done.

It’s kind of sweet if you think people should only give with the right intentions, but it doesn’t make any difference for Oxfam. Bad mouthing a good cause doesn’t really help anybody. If one of these posts discourages anyone from donating… what good would that be?

That said, I already chucked bonds in the well for Mind and would have liked a bit more time between charity events.

02-Dec-2014 23:24:55

Ganon
Jan Member 2008

Ganon

Posts: 1,544 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
H Stencil said :
I rarely post but the whole “This is disgusting…” post just struck me as so so wrong.

It’s not better money if you only give with “good intentions” and if people donate for “bragging rights” or “material things” it’s still A GOOD THING.

“You are luring in gullible players who have no interest in the real reason of charity what so ever”… YES THAT’S WHY IT’S GREAT. If this reaches people who would not otherwise give to charity then it’s the best possible outcome.

“it's supposed to leave you with a good feeling thinking "I've helped someone today"” – No it's not about you, and if you think charity is about feeling good about yourself then I don’t see how this is any better than doing something for “bragging rights”.

Charity is not about “the goodness of heart”, it’s about real people needing help and Oxfam needs money to help them so if this raises a few pounds then the job is done.

It’s kind of sweet if you think people should only give with the right intentions, but it doesn’t make any difference for Oxfam. Bad mouthing a good cause doesn’t really help anybody. If one of these posts discourages anyone from donating… what good would that be?

That said, I already chucked bonds in the well for Mind and would have liked a bit more time between charity events.

I appreciate people do need aid, but in my opinion Oxfam is not a worthwhile charity to donate via as I've explained in my previous post. If jagex were to re-release this with a NON-PROFIT charity where the players recieved NO TITLES OR GIFTS FOR DONATING I'd be happy.

I have no problem with charity, I have a problem with companies taking the money I donate for wages and admin costs instead of it being used for helping people.

If you don't that's your decision.

03-Dec-2014 22:24:32

Herblawyer
Oct Member 2023

Herblawyer

Posts: 7,312 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A RealGrill said :
Is there a reason you're not letting ironmen donate?
I'm curious about this, too. The rewards for the third and fifth bonds are completely cosmetic, so it's not like that'll influence an Ironman's capabilities, except in fashion, besides maybe making him spend more money than usual. Ironmen can't use Treasure Hunter, so the keys for the second and fourth can't even be used. Only the first bond donated seems useful to an Ironman, but I'm not even sure if Ironmen can use the Festive Aura in the first place (mine aren't members); if they can't, then donating is technically useless for Ironmen.

Even the tradeable presents are useless for Ironmen, since they don't get the keys themselves, nor can they use the keys. What reason is there to stop an Ironman from donating?

On another subject, I'd be more inclined to think of this as an actually charitable act than a money accumulator ... if this didn't happen just after a month of the donation well being open, and if this didn't happen just after Jagex announced that membership and Bond prices will be rising. Why couldn't this be done last month, i.e. 5 days ago? Why couldn't you hold off your price increase announcement until after this settled? It all just feels too planned out to be really charitable... but, being a collector, I'll probably be buying bonds anyway. Not like I spend my gp on much else.

* Being a charity act, "money accumulator" was probably a bad description, but Jagex could have at least done this before influencing the price of Bonds.

04-Dec-2014 01:39:15 - Last edited on 04-Dec-2014 19:29:30 by Herblawyer

SwedishPagns

SwedishPagns

Posts: 8,899 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Why are you donating money to Ox-whoever-the-****-they-are? You need the money more than they do! You're desperate for money, that's why Treasure Hunter and Solo***'s General Store exists, and it's why you're increasing membership prices. Lack of money is also a great reason for why there were so few quest releases this year. None of those problems would exist if you had more money, Jagex. Use the money you have now to make better content (in other words, make more quests goddamn it!), that way you'd get more subscribers which means more money. Giving money away means ******** content, more people quitting, that leads to fewer updates and more Solo***'s Store/Treasure Hunter ********, more people quitting 'cause they're tired of seeing another Solo***'s Store/Treasure promotion every time they visit the RS home page, and so on and so on.

Please Jagex, I know you're all dumb****s who spent your childhood licking lead paint off of cheap Chinese made toys, and now you go around wearing bike helmets all the time, but for the love of Runescape use some ******* common sense; don't give money away, use it to create some decent content for once, for us, the players, who are vital to this game and without us you'd be bankrupt.
·
{
}
`·.„¸¸,.¤*°‘°•¸
I wish I was in Dixie land
¸•°‘°*¤.,¸¸„.·´
{
}
·

04-Dec-2014 02:26:06

Saorri

Saorri

Posts: 18 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Crude, atrocious, disgusting, foul, low, Jagex.
The entire premise of the foundation is never clearly stated. A couple of videos showing stock images and like 4 interviews with people on the streets.
Jagex should donate all of the money to Young Minds.
Or at the very least offer more information about the charity it is promoting. There's not a single mention of the charity or its cause but the ending sentence with a link.
All about that $$$$$$.
Efing disgusting.

I would like to address the current debate that's ensuing in regards to the wether or not this "charity" event is ethically right or wrong. Some of you take the simple and often catastrophic utilitarian perspective (end justifies the means, much like Stalin believed). Sure, in the end, someone out there is getting some money out of this. Perhaps they're doing good with it, who really knows.
Then there's the more pragmatic and rational standpoint offered by deontology. The intentions of the action define its essence, either good or bad (in simple terms). Jagex's true motifs are transparent to the more rational and out-of-the-box thinking individuals. Buy bonds, spins, keys, whatever. For a while already, Jagex has been trying to milk this game for it's last cent. Who's to blame them, no new players are joining the game anymore. However, using a charity and then just referring to it as "a good cause" and "go check their website", just shows a lack of effort from their part.
Year is almost over, gotta make that profit.
At least give the money to a more decent foundation, preferably Young Minds.

Final note:
To those of you who feel like they're helping by giving a runescape bond, I suggest you do an internet search for a greater variety of ways you can actually help. "At least its something". ok.

04-Dec-2014 06:31:57 - Last edited on 04-Dec-2014 07:00:35 by Saorri

Mahtavata

Mahtavata

Posts: 4,115 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So from my understanding, Oxfam wants to help "lift people out of poverty"...and help "fight pollution?"

Wait. Ok, I understand pollution is bad, yada yada, but here is the problem:

I'm from an area that is heavily reliant on the coal mining industry, as coal is the primary economic resource here. In the past decade or so, a lot of the coal mining companies have shut down in this area due to pressure on the government by environmentalists. In fact, in 2013 alone, coal exports declined 40%.

"Fighting pollution" is the CAUSE of why people in my area are now below the poverty line. As coal companies shut down, miners lost jobs, which meant less money circulating around. Then other, non-coal industry businesses began to close as people did not have money to spend. You can go down a lot of the main streets in the towns in this area and they look like ghost towns. Empty buildings where businesses once were.

Go tell Oxfam to fix that!

If people really want to help out the less fortunate, donate food to your local food bank or donate food/clothes to homeless shelters, ect.

I wouldn't directly give money to these type of organizations NOW, as I would not know where exactly that money is going...and yes, bonds are money.
Musta.

05-Dec-2014 08:24:40 - Last edited on 05-Dec-2014 09:02:19 by Mahtavata

Quick find code: 254-255-428-65527823 Back to Top