Donate to Oxfam with Bonds

Quick find code: 254-255-428-65527823

lil Tal

lil Tal

Posts: 914 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ganon said :
Zelda said :
This is disgusting.

Charity has nothing to do with self gain. Charity should not be rewarded by material things, nor should it be rewarded with bragging rights, such as the titles you already provide. You are luring in gullible players who have no interest in the real reason of charity what so ever, other than obtaining the reward from doing it. I mean come on, "The Millionaire", "The Billionaire"? They have nothing to do with charity, nor does this update!

Charity is supposed to be about giving for the gift of giving. It's supposed to be anonymous, it's supposed to be about the cause of the charity, it's supposed to leave you with a good feeling thinking "I've helped someone today". It's NOT supposed to be about flashing fancy title screaming "look how much money I have", and certainly not about how many extra keys on Treasure Hunter you can get or the fact that you can look like a reindeer!

If the players can't donate to charity based on the goodness of their hearts and need an incentive to do it, I think that goes to prove that charity events and donation wells has nothing to do in this game.

Utterly disgusting.

On another note: Ebola? Really? I can understand the gaming charities but Ebola? The world needs to realize sooner or later that even TB kills more people than Ebola. Unfortunately TB doesn't exist in the western world so I guess it's not a problem we want to deal with.

This. Just this. Perfectly sums up how jagex's idea of "charity" works, remind me... What's the actual percentage of the money that actually goes to the charity instead of paying peoples wages?

Agreed, both posts.
I see the timing of this 'donation' happened after membership increase was announced and VIP was released. Bonds going up in price every second already.
Smooth move Jagex.

Suprised they're not making people pay for the bonds with paypal yet.
~Clok***Angel~ Already sick of spoilers overkill on forums, even more than my name censor...

01-Dec-2014 17:14:13

Snowbuddy
Jun Member 2004

Snowbuddy

Posts: 1,420 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex is owned by a parent corporation that is one of the largest in the world...

If you believe that
your
in game contribution
has any effect on the amount of (tax write off) money "Insight partners" gives to charity...

you just failed economics.

ALSO: XFAM charges 3.95 GBP shipping per delivery, and that's $6.22 usd ($5.00 bond?) so that's another "administrative fee"
,•°•¸.....**..*^**,*********^-^
'.,**;***.....
LET IT*******(o..o)
......'.,¸¸,‹^º•,¸ SNOW***.( ' v' )o

01-Dec-2014 17:38:42 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2014 19:35:10 by Snowbuddy

Snowbuddy
Jun Member 2004

Snowbuddy

Amascut said :
Ganon said :

This. Just this. Perfectly sums up how jagex's idea of "charity" works, remind me... What's the actual percentage of the money that actually goes to the charity instead of paying peoples wages?

$4.70 of a $5.00 bond go to charity when one is donated. By encouraging people to use bonds over just in-game wealth they donate more per million gp, while gaining only $0.30 USD per bond used in this way.

Amascut: will you please source this information?? it looks COMPLETELY MADE UP, considering that's more than the 3-6% major credit card companies charge just to clear the transaction...
'.,**;***.....
LET IT*******(o..o)

01-Dec-2014 17:43:26 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2014 17:44:42 by Snowbuddy

Snowbuddy
Jun Member 2004

Snowbuddy

"Throughout December you can make donations to an extremely worthwhile cause. Find Thorvar Crittersmash near the Lumbridge, Edgeville, Burthorpe or Prifddinas lodestones to give him Bonds which he will wrap up as a gift and send to Oxfam. All proceeds from the donation will go to Oxfam to support the good work they do"

This is the only quote i found on the runescape website.
'.,**;***.....
LET IT*******(o..o)

01-Dec-2014 17:54:34 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2014 19:07:42 by Snowbuddy

Mod Balance

Mod Balance

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
$4.70 per bond goes to charity - the other $0.30 is costs of the transaction (like credit card costs, plus the cost of our payment partner etc. We do not take any money from the bonds donated.

If you're interested, Oxfam have an interesting chart showing their spending and how your donations make a difference.

Mod Balance
Community Management
| Account Help | Payment Support | Technical Help | Follow me on Twitter |
Mod Balance
| Head of Community |
Follower of Guthix

01-Dec-2014 18:14:27

Ganon
Jan Member 2008

Ganon

Posts: 1,544 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Found a very fun website with the following Quote (based on the 2012-2013 financial details of Oxfam)

Oxfam’s total income last year was £385.5m. But only £286.5m was actually used for what Oxfam and the Charity Commission call “charitable expenditure” – a reasonable, but not impressive 74.3%.

Oxfam seems to have 3 main sources of funds – shops, public donations and government grants.

Its shops raise £89.9m, but cost £67.6m, leaving just £22.3m for charity. Not great, considering the people working in the shops are mostly volunteers.

It raises about £295.6m in donations with a cost for raising this money of £23m (7.8%). That looks pretty good. But £159.8m of these donations come from government, large institutions and public authorities. So, actually only £135.8m is raised at a cost of £23m (17%). Not great, but not disastrous either.

So we now know that of the £385.5m raised by Oxfam, £90.6m (shops – £67.6m plus fundraising – £23m) of this is spent getting the money in. That leaves about £294.9m to be spent.

Then we have to knock off about £31.9m for support and governance costs, leaving £263m – 68% of the £385.5m raised – available for charity work.

Now comes a bit of guessing. Oxfam’s staff costs are £59.5m in the UK and £42.3m overseas – total £101.8m. If we assume that say a third of these staff are in administrative and managerial functions and that two thirds are doing real charitable work, then the administration and managerial staff costs would be £33.9m. This would leave around £229.1m for charitable work (59.4% of the £385.5m raised).

Of the £229.1m available for charitable work, £90.6m is handed out in grants to other charities. As they will certainly have managerial and administrative costs of 20% or more, that’s another £18.1m not available for real charity.
That leaves us with £211m – 54.7% of the £385.5m raised by Oxfam

TLDR: About 50% of the money you donate goes to Ebola, take off the 6% for jagex = £1.32 donated per £3 Bond

01-Dec-2014 18:46:02 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2014 19:39:59 by Ganon

Nead
Sep Member 2012

Nead

Posts: 20,472 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ganon said :
-

Atleast Jagex spread the awareness of the cause :P . Heck, I never really hear of any of these until we are asked to donate towards them. So it is not all bad.

- Ornery Onions -
Prioritizing inclusion, friendliness and offering a helping hand to those that need it.

01-Dec-2014 18:56:09

CoffeeNomNom

CoffeeNomNom

Posts: 513 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello--
I have never purchased a bond before. I can't affort to spend real world money on bonds. So, do I buy the bond from the Grand Exchange? The bonds on the GE state: "this item will become untradable upon purchase"--so can bonds that are purchased from the GE be given to Thorvar Crittersmash?
(sorry for the noob question!)
:)

01-Dec-2014 22:12:18

Quick find code: 254-255-428-65527823 Back to Top