Forums

Donate to Oxfam with Bonds

Quick find code: 254-255-428-65527823

Amascut
Aug Member 2013

Amascut

Posts: 21,623 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ganon said :

This. Just this. Perfectly sums up how jagex's idea of "charity" works, remind me... What's the actual percentage of the money that actually goes to the charity instead of paying peoples wages?

$4.70 of a $5.00 bond go to charity when one is donated. By encouraging people to use bonds over just in-game wealth they donate more per million gp, while gaining only $0.30 USD per bond used in this way.
@Fannygirdle on Twitter | Co-Owner of The Scrying Pool, a future updates and lore clan

01-Dec-2014 12:21:28

Bo Boh

Bo Boh

Posts: 8 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ok so I'm an Ironman,

I've just recently purchased 5 bonds to donate to Thorvar Crittersmash in lumbridge so that I could get the Title and reindeer head override as well as supporting Oxfam but its not allowing iron man accounts to do that. Why is that? I mean its a donation to Oxfam, why are Ironman accounts penalised for that? I would like this to be re-evaluated as its for a charity I care about and the added bonus I receive some cosmetic overrides. I'm not interested in loosing the tradeable present or tickets, I'm only interested in the title and override.

Thank you in advance

01-Dec-2014 12:50:33 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2014 12:53:05 by Bo Boh

Decimatorz
Dec Member 2017

Decimatorz

Posts: 1,780 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zelda said :
This is disgusting.

Charity has nothing to do with self gain. Charity should not be rewarded by material things, nor should it be rewarded with bragging rights, such as the titles you already provide. You are luring in gullible players who have no interest in the real reason of charity what so ever, other than obtaining the reward from doing it. I mean come on, "The Millionaire", "The Billionaire"? They have nothing to do with charity, nor does this update!

Charity is supposed to be about giving for the gift of giving. It's supposed to be anonymous, it's supposed to be about the cause of the charity, it's supposed to leave you with a good feeling thinking "I've helped someone today". It's NOT supposed to be about flashing fancy title screaming "look how much money I have", and certainly not about how many extra keys on Treasure Hunter you can get or the fact that you can look like a reindeer!

If the players can't donate to charity based on the goodness of their hearts and need an incentive to do it, I think that goes to prove that charity events and donation wells has nothing to do in this game.

Utterly disgusting.

On another note: Ebola? Really? I can understand the gaming charities but Ebola? The world needs to realize sooner or later that even TB kills more people than Ebola. Unfortunately TB doesn't exist in the western world so I guess it's not a problem we want to deal with.

Sadly i have to agree with Her...there is more meaning to do something out of your Goodness of your Heart, than doing something you don't want to do (but just doing it for the rewards).

But to be Fair to Jagex, Its hard to Get the Community (Players) to donate to a Charity. I don't speak for Jagex, but i think its the only way they can get Players to Contribute. With the current world of money, Phones, etc... (i.e. materialistic), Jagex thinks it the probable only way to do it.

01-Dec-2014 13:06:24 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2014 13:15:09 by Decimatorz

Ganon
Jan Member 2008

Ganon

Posts: 1,544 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amascut said :
Ganon said :

This. Just this. Perfectly sums up how jagex's idea of "charity" works, remind me... What's the actual percentage of the money that actually goes to the charity instead of paying peoples wages?

$4.70 of a $5.00 bond go to charity when one is donated. By encouraging people to use bonds over just in-game wealth they donate more per million gp, while gaining only $0.30 USD per bond used in this way.

And how much of the $4.70 is used to help instead of paying wages in oxfam?

01-Dec-2014 13:33:37

Keruval
May Member 2012

Keruval

Posts: 38 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am a lifelong supporter of Oxfam and have given and received Oxfam Unwrapped gifts but there is absolutely NO way I would support this event.

Apart from any other reason it will make players feel they MUST buy bonds with cash if they don't have game gp in order not to miss out on a reward or title.

Sorry Jagex, but something else the PTB didn't think through when the sales department came up with yet another 'brilliant idea'

01-Dec-2014 16:57:09

Quick find code: 254-255-428-65527823 Back to Top