Forums

Basics of Taking Hits Thread is locked

Quick find code: 237-238-911-65366849

Doc Doctor

Doc Doctor

Posts: 3,925 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A well made guide, and one that is sorely needed. Once a muscle gets cut, it's messed up for life. Repeated bone breaks really accumulate over the years as well. Most folks retire roughly ten years after they begin competitive fighting, usually around the early-mid thirties. This is not due to age, but all of the built up damage they have taken.

Way I see it, if you take serious muscle/bone damage In Gielinor, you had better hope there is a generous lunar mage nearby, otherwise you'll end up out of the battlefield for life. Even then, some wounds can be too serious to heal. That being said, it's a good idea to take hits. It makes your opponent happy, shows that you respect their character's abilities, and helps add realism to the fight. I love going into graphic detail about the suffering my characters go through, especially when the pain can be made comically horrible. It can be fun for both sides, Oocly at least.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

10-May-2014 06:15:27 - Last edited on 10-May-2014 06:21:03 by Doc Doctor

Kara-Ara
Dec Member 2021

Kara-Ara

Posts: 3,683 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Doc, I shattered my left arm when I was young and that **** is not gonna break ever again. And it was just left in a sling.

Khaine, will you go into actual nerve strikes for this? I've heard of some and actually used one or two (in self-defense, don't worry.) but I wondered how well they'd go over in roleplay.
"A silly ***** is what I'm going to call **** jokes from now on."
-Jen 2015

10-May-2014 15:08:49

heretic hary

heretic hary

Posts: 3,137 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kara-Ara said :
Doc, I shattered my left arm when I was young and that **** is not gonna break ever again. And it was just left in a sling.

Khaine, will you go into actual nerve strikes for this? I've heard of some and actually used one or two (in self-defense, don't worry.) but I wondered how well they'd go over in roleplay.

That'll be in the more expanded edition - including details beyond the obvious ones in one spot meant I'd have to do the same for the rest, and then this would take much longer to make.

10-May-2014 15:21:18

Kara-Ara
Dec Member 2021

Kara-Ara

Posts: 3,683 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
heretic hary said :
Kara-Ara said :

That'll be in the more expanded edition - including details beyond the obvious ones in one spot meant I'd have to do the same for the rest, and then this would take much longer to make.

Alright, then. Looks like I'm back to a medical textbook to find kill points. c:
"A silly ***** is what I'm going to call **** jokes from now on."
-Jen 2015

10-May-2014 15:27:04

heretic hary

heretic hary

Posts: 3,137 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kara-Ara said :
heretic hary said :
Kara-Ara said :

Alright, then. Looks like I'm back to a medical textbook to find kill points. c:

I usually use Google Scholar to find credible works on subjects, and talk to people irl who I know would be knowledgeable on the subject. (Former military intelligence, members of a private security agency, fencing instructor, etc.) I use diagrams of the human body, after some editing on Paint, to keep track of where those spots are.

10-May-2014 15:51:30

Noctis Ryder

Noctis Ryder

Posts: 1,086 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Your threads containing combat methods seem to have many hits, whereas the guide that is fundamentally missing from runescape rp-combat is significantly under appreciated.

I honestly think learning how to take hits is a lot more important than learning how to fight efficiently. The average roleplayer has a decent understanding on how swinging a sword works. What differentiates between them is the understanding of limitations and what I like to call "hopeless" positions.

Let's be honest here, duels with swords were very short lived. This isn't Hollywood. The victor of a duel often won with very few precise strikes, in accordance with the physics of the weapon being used. If a duelist where to parry or counter an attack in an effective manner that REALISTICALLY anybody would be killed/defeated, accept the damned hit.

No one has lightning fast reflexes, nor can they predict HOW a parry is going to work until the said action is in motion, but by then, it is highly unlikely that you'd be able to recover due to the fact of putting yourself in that situation in the first place.

However, there are also situations where you CAN'T parry. A strong swing of the sword requires just as much, if not more, momentum behind your swing to effectively parry and, perhaps, counter. If you are caught in a corner, getting wailed on by an opponent, it is very unlikely (no matter how much of a Titan you claim to be) that you will be in ANY position to hold off against someone who has both better footing and area-of-control with each strike.

This is one of the many reasons I've grown tired of roleplay combat, being a fencer myself. Those key things people NEVER roleplay out bothers me to absolutely no end.
Lord Commander of House Ryder
I
the Fallen One
I
Lover of Gingers

#HeilZaros

12-May-2014 20:24:25

Aivas

Aivas

Posts: 3,002 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
For some reason, your post appealed to me to respond, Noctis. I'll drop some words off and let you make sense of it however you please.

Noctis Ryder said :

I honestly think learning how to take hits is a lot more important than learning how to fight efficiently. The average roleplayer has a decent understanding on how swinging a sword works. What differentiates between them is the understanding of limitations and what I like to call "hopeless" positions.

Most people don’t understand much about how swinging a sword works, that includes those who think they do. That’s a good thing.

There are hopeless positions. That’s a bad thing.

Noctis Ryder said :

Let's be honest here, duels with swords were very short lived. This isn't Hollywood. The victor of a duel often won with very few precise strikes, in accordance with the physics of the weapon being used. If a duelist where to parry or counter an attack in an effective manner that REALISTICALLY anybody would be killed/defeated, accept the damned hit.

Duels still go on. The weapons may have changed, the times may have changed, but the idea is the same.

Most people don’t die in a duel.

Noctis Ryder said :

No one has lightning fast reflexes, nor can they predict HOW a parry is going to work until the said action is in motion, but by then, it is highly unlikely that you'd be able to recover due to the fact of putting yourself in that situation in the first place.

Most people have lightning fast reflexes.

Most people will never be able to make use of said reflexes.

Some people can predict actions before they happen.

12-May-2014 21:42:15 - Last edited on 12-May-2014 21:44:31 by Aivas

Aivas

Aivas

Posts: 3,002 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Noctis Ryder said :

However, there are also situations where you CAN'T parry. A strong swing of the sword requires just as much, if not more, momentum behind your swing to effectively parry and, perhaps, counter. If you are caught in a corner, getting wailed on by an opponent, it is very unlikely (no matter how much of a Titan you claim to be) that you will be in ANY position to hold off against someone who has both better footing and area-of-control with each strike.

There are situations where you can’t parry.

A strong swing of the sword doesn’t require as much momentum to effectively parry it.

That is unlikely.

Noctis Ryder said :

This is one of the many reasons I've grown tired of roleplay combat, being a fencer myself. Those key things people NEVER roleplay out bothers me to absolutely no end.

Fencing practice is good.

Fighting to end another’s life is not.

12-May-2014 21:42:22 - Last edited on 12-May-2014 21:44:54 by Aivas

Quick find code: 237-238-911-65366849 Back to Top