Forums

Martial Wrestling Thread is locked

Quick find code: 237-238-302-65353024

Doc Doctor

Doc Doctor

Posts: 3,925 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aivas said :
heretic hary said :
(For this reason I hold MMA in great respect, as it actually constitutes a genuine martial art. Practitioners regularly fight other people, and thus train fighting ability the best way possible as each fighter is used to resistance from the opposing force. This is sadly lacking in many "martial arts" institutions today, and gives validity to the claim that many "martial arts" in the classrooms or gyms do not hold up in the streets.)

Before I offend you all some more and have shoes thrown at me, let me explain that unless your preferred fighting system is regularly crippling or killing the participants, it is not being practiced in the arena or dojo as an effective martial art. And that transfers to a gaping hole of complacency when you attempt to apply your preferred system to combat.

To keep it short:

Is MMA a great way to learn how to beat the snot out of someone in a consensual fight? Yes.

Is MMA a cool way to experience a lot of different techniques and culture? Yes.

Is MMA combat? No.

Will MMA prepare you for combat? No.

Knowing how to land a punch effectively is indeed good preparation, as is a solid takedown defense, arguably one of the most important aspects of a street fight.

It's the BJJ part and the MMA stance that is impractical. The stance leaves your freaking nuts exposed, and the last place you'd want to be in a real fight is on the ground.

Of course, this is all ignoring improvisational weaponry. There is a video floating around on the internet of an MMA fighter antagonizing a woman in a gas station. Some guys notice this, and take things outside. The fighter is all ready to rumble... Until one of them comes from behind him and slams a plank into the back of his head. From what I've heard, his career is pretty much over.

Random dude with hunk of wood and element of surprise > Fighter with years of training.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

30-Oct-2014 14:18:14 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2014 14:32:33 by Doc Doctor

heretic hary

heretic hary

Posts: 3,137 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Literally, 100% of the techniques were paraphrased from their source manual, and stuck into here. I'm aware of their flaws. It's also why I consider this a rough draft.

I admit it, 42. I gave you cold, sloppy seconds.

EDIT: Do people even read the post date of comments?

01-Nov-2014 21:23:09 - Last edited on 01-Nov-2014 21:24:17 by heretic hary

Doc Doctor

Doc Doctor

Posts: 3,925 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, how about some more lessons? Might as well, since this thread has been resurrected.

A big one that I've had to learn the hard way is make sure you've disarmed your opponent before engaging them, and be sure to study there character to try and spot any hidden daggers and junk before going for the grapple.

Mix up strikes with grabs to keep opponents guessing. I find that knees, head-butts, pinning feet, and cross-counters are all very effective.

One of my tried and true tricks is to have my character throw a common punch at an opponent, who often ducks or weaves in instead of sensibly backing off. Don't draw back the arm you punched with, keep her out there. Yes, your opponent just stepped into your zone and you can wrap an arm around their neck or waist.
“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

21-Jul-2016 08:22:24 - Last edited on 21-Jul-2016 08:23:42 by Doc Doctor

Quick find code: 237-238-302-65353024 Back to Top