Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

MrsWetlander
Sep
fmod Member

MrsWetlander

Forum Moderator Posts: 16,821 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ok, I actually have something to add here. haha !

I live on a lake with a small park in front, and recently have gotten into actually watching the wildlife more. Lots of birds about, blue jays, cardinals, hummingbirds. Its pretty cool to be watching them, and am thinking of trying to learn more.

The most recent interest I have found are Ravens ! I saw a few black birds, land in the park area, and they kept flying up, coming back with more. And watching them was the most entertaining indeed ! They are quite interesting and playful. I had to do some searching on them, and found out that Ravens are not Crows. And by nature they are quite playful, so much that folks do vids on them. And they can learn to talk. Which made more sense of the interesting calls they were doing. Quite the smart bird, and now I am addicted to looking for them ! Seriously.. I stand out there or look out the windows trying to spot them. :D

We also have candian geese that flock all about. Quite the aggressive bird I have to say. However if you " friend " them.. they are great little buddies. My husband came out to see me in the park across the street and I had a bunch of them, probably around 50 off and on, following me and wanting food yes, but also since I have been feeding them, they just accept me walking along with them as well. They can be quite jealous of each other, and there is always one that comes up and likes to kick some behind, making sure they all scatter or they get jumped on. I guess to let them all know they still have the importance of being the strong one? I have one " couple " that likes to hang out by my door .. just hanging out now. Of course I have treats for them, and enjoy interacting with them. When I pull up in my car a few will even greet me at the car, just talking away at me. L0L !

Not sure if this really qualifies as bird watching, but did want to share. :D This is quite interesting and fun !

~ Mrs ~
"
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
" ~ Jimi Hendrix ~

14-Apr-2015 13:47:37

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're watching and learning as well as enjoying it so I'd say so :P

I enjoy watching the Crows play around here too.

Ravens don't come this far from their haunts and even there they are fairly scarce due to persecution in the past, and no doubt present.

I was going to say that migrants have started to make it back here I've heard and seen Chiffchaff and Ring Ouzel are at their usual spot.

Yet to see Wheatear, Swallow, Swift or Willow Warbler.

14-Apr-2015 20:33:45

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am yet to hear a Cuckoo - although I did see one (I think) a while back. We have had most of the regulars at the feeders, so no excitement at spotting something different. I did spot a woodpecker up the electricity pole out the front - he was on the wrong side of it for me to see which type he was, but I think he was a green woodpecker, which we have had in the garden before.

There have been a lot of young birds around and I have got a few nice photos, although the one I took of the Blackbird feeding her young was totally out of focus :(

There is a pheasant who keeps pecking about at the bottom of the garden by the ditch - he is a noisy so and so! I have't seen any grouse in the garden so far this spring, perhaps they wait till I am out.

I have seen buzzards soaring overhead and a few ducks have wandered down the lane, but they didn't seem to have ducklings with them.

There are lambs in the field nearby, which are always nice to watch.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

26-Apr-2015 14:18:15

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The thrush that was nesting in our magic ladders has deserted, I've no idea why :( When I was sure she'd gone I investigated it -it was a wonderful piece of work, she'd obviously spent a lot of time (99 Construction, I reckon). The last inch or so forming the perfectly circular cup was made from fibres obviously pulled from someone's coconut matting doormat and woven together to form a very sturdy mesh.

Happily, she's still local and comes down to feed and bathe (I know it's her as she's got a distinctive broken toe which has set a bit wonky).

I enjoyed Mrs W's story about the geese. I've read elsewhere they can become very devoted to people (and sometimes objects). They make great guard dogs too !
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

26-Apr-2015 15:30:10

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No young birds here atmo, but I also saw and heard a green woodpecker today as I've been looking after my sisters dog so was walking a different area to the norm.

Good to know she is still around and not dead!

26-Apr-2015 21:01:25

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We have had a few extra visitors to the feeders - not sure if they are overly welcome though!

A Rook decided it could perch and raid the coconut shell and after it flew off a watching pigeon decided to fly up and copy it. To save the food for the smaller birds I tied a string on the coconut shell so it was lower off the branch. This foiled the pigeon but was no problem to the rook who just pulled the string up with its claws so it could carry on with its feast!

A jackdaw has taken a liking to the lower crushed peanut feeder and just hops up to help itself.

We now have a squirrel! We haven't seen it before and I am not sure if it will be a regular visitor as we are a bit outside their normal area. If we see it again, we will probably have to look at a couple of anti-squirrel feeders so the birds get some for themselves and leave the others for the squirrel to share.

In our other garden I am spending time chasing off the cats - evil creatures. Added to the cats are the bably foxes plus a magpie who keeps trying to sneak into the nest tree - the blackbirds and goldfinches seem to spend a lot of time distress calling to their young.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

07-May-2015 00:01:25 - Last edited on 07-May-2015 00:14:10 by Bernadette

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top