Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Windsofnight said :
I was in a rural area to help complete the photo documentary portion for a project about a pioneer family & all of a sudden all of the birds became quite. This startled me because they had all ceased to sing. I'm like, errmygwds, since I was in a 200 year old pioneer graveyard photographing headstones.

I then saw a shadow on the ground & when I looked up, much to my relief, flying above me in the sky, was a beautiful Bald Eagle! I took quite a few pictures of it.

Great!

What camera/lens you use?

19-Nov-2014 21:21:23

Repopulation

Repopulation

Posts: 622 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I never gave bird watching any thought until my girlfriend, a fellow animal lover, put a couple feeders in my yard last year. Now, I'm more into it then even she. It's something we look forward to in the winter, because in Maryland(US), we don't see too many birds in the summer, apart from Hummingbirds. I've hung a suet feeder high in a tree that's in our yard, bought another feeder for the other side of the house, even bought an identification book for North American birds.

Normal visitors include:
Woodpeckers(Red-Bellied, Downy, Hairy) No Pileated yet; upset.
Clingers(Nuthatch) White Breasted is my Favorite; nicknamed "Hatchy"
Rufous Sided Towhee, I love the way he 'kicks' through the leaves. Pretty badass.
Tufted Titmice, Cardinals, Finches, Sparrows, Black-Capped Chickadees
Blue Jay(Rarely), Red-Winged Blackbird

And of course we have a few unwanted visitors: Squirrels that jump up on the feeders, and a hawk that preys on all the birds. Luckily the hawk doesn't come too often and the feeders are near a large set of bushes perfect for cover.

20-Nov-2014 02:40:56

Repopulation

Repopulation

Posts: 622 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Spotting a woodpecker is pretty much a daily thing at my home, as you have said, it's all dependent on where you live. My book says that "Pileated Woodpeckers" are in my area but after a year and a half of watching, I still haven't spotted one.

I have been planning on checking around my area. I live just down the street; walking distance from a wetland surrounded by heavily wooded areas, there's a nice long trail specifically for that purpose, I believe. I know I'd be able to spot a much wider variety of birds, as well as larger birds, which really interest me.

20-Nov-2014 20:57:25

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
i get great spotted woodpeckers on the feeders daily. The other two are not as common and lesser is quite rare with regular hotspots declining.

I'd advise you to go down wetlands tend to have some of the nicest looking birds :)

20-Nov-2014 21:25:27 - Last edited on 20-Nov-2014 21:25:50 by Wilf

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top