Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

54 Evil Man

54 Evil Man

Posts: 1,376 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wilf said :
Ah, the dawn chorus. One day I'll get up really early and go out into the woods to listen to it.

I went campin a couple of days ago (see I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, deep in the woods) so me and a friend, at 5 in the morning, suffering from hangovers, decided to explored the nearby forest, outside our tent. We ventured in, climbing fences, trees and bushes. We saw someone, or something. It just stood there without moving. It was probably human and fairly chubby as well. We watched it for ages, seeing if it would move, but it didnt. My friend claimed it was bigfoot. I dunno, it was pretty creepy and it was bloody early too! I guess thats kinda birdwatching...

18-Aug-2014 23:18:31

Catweazle
Nov Member 2005

Catweazle

Posts: 23,934 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Wilf :)

A little bumpski for my favourite thread here!
I won't be around for a while so I wish you happy spotting. Do me a favour? Give my regards to NPC Andy S if you bump into him anywhere around the forums! Cheers.

Cat.

22-Aug-2014 16:03:30

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Was at the Birdfai last weekend, bought some books and a camera. Let the digiscoping commence!. Bird wise I sat in one the hides for 2 hours but no Osprey showed while I was there, but kingfisher was an excellent "tick".

While there somebody was making bad ID's...

When you ask people for ID's and get resounding confirmations from everybody you really shouldn't say they are wrong, and say how you think it is so and so unless it is an uncommon bird you have experience with. The birds were Curlew the biggest wader with one of the most distinctive bills you'll see and also breed near me and are presen't throughout the year. to suggest that it is in fact a sandpiper or snipe despite being informed that it is a Curlew and the features pointed out is just ignorant. There were pictures on the wall of snipe/curlew and common sandpiper for christs sake and she still wouldn't have it...

Even keen bird watchers make mistakes and differ. There was a gull there and these two guys id'd it as a lesser black backed talking about the shape head colours colours of primary feathers all the stuff most amateurs like me don't think about. I could see it's legs were pink though.

One of the books I'd bought was an ID guide on difficult species that look similar, looked at lesser and greater. Lessers legs are yellow Greaters flesh coloured. Plus when it was flying it was huge. Overheard some women saying that it was a greater once the two guys had gone. majority rules :P

The bird it was more likely to be confused with is Whibrel as there is only slight difference between the two...

23-Aug-2014 00:42:35

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Managed to get out there this evening, despite still feeling as though I'm going to throw up at any moment...

The main lure was the chance of seeing some spotted redshank.

In breeding plumage they are very easy to identify and extremely smart looking. These were in non breeding though so a bit more bland and common redshank looking but still different enough for the discerning observer to notice a difference.

I also got a chance to play with my camera, the results were mostly adequate :P

Other birds of note black tailed godwits greenshank and dunlin. Some photos of them as well.

The ruff seen earlier were either hiding or flown off.

30-Aug-2014 20:59:39

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top