Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Pikkupstix
Feb Member 2020

Pikkupstix

Posts: 5,929 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Page 35 we finally get a response!

no this is not a suggestion

RuneScape is so tiny D: It's like, what, a few square miles total?

Everything is so dang small, Falador is probably the same size as an average school!

The entire city of Varrock, one of the biggest in RuneScape, is the size of a Clan Citadel (which is probably the only thing that's reasonably sized).

Look at the mountains, they are basically just hills. I could easily walk in a straight line from Taverly to Cathebry in real life.

The rivers are more like creeks, the "forests" are the size of a modern city park, there are a lot of cities sitting right next to each other , which wouldn't make sense for them to be different cities when they are so close.

There's also like 4 farms in RuneScape, and worst of all you can't walk 3 minutes without running into a lodestone (which helps hide the small size of RuneScape).

Can we PLEASE get some info on the current size and any plans for expansion? Put up more SGS ans SoF updates, remove some servers (you wouldn't need a bunch of servers with a bigger world), just do something!

You don't need to go all out lore and have a days walk between Edgeville and the monastary, or a year's march from Misthilania to the Barrows, but why are mountains and cities so pathetically small, how can Lumbridge's forest sit so close to the deserts of Al Kharid, separated only be a "cliff".

† Pikkupstix †

click a smiley : )
:) ;) :P :( :| O_o :D ^_^ :O :@
Pikkupstix

Mithril dragons drop mithril bars.

25-Jul-2013 16:13:57 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2014 14:37:24 by Pikkupstix

Lampmonster
Jun Member 2021

Lampmonster

Posts: 286 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
i remember reading that the html5 client makes you realize just how small the world actually is. They were discussing that they'd like to scale the world up, but it would be put off until higher priority updates are done. It might've been on one of the Q&A's they posted on YouTube. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

25-Jul-2013 16:25:06

DragonBurst

DragonBurst

Posts: 711 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
42. El juego en HTML5 parece extremadamente pequeño. ¿Tendremos una expansión general del mundo de RuneScape?

Mod Mark: Sí.

---

English:

42. The game in HTML5 looks extremely tiny, we will have an general expansion of the world of RuneScape?

Mod Mark: Yes
---

From the Spanish Forums, Thread name 'Respuestas de Mod Mark' (Mod Mark answers).

QFC: 1-2-84-382 Obviously the thread is in Spanish and this QFC only work in the Spanish forums.

25-Jul-2013 16:38:14 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2013 16:39:03 by DragonBurst

Kill Count

Kill Count

Posts: 546 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Pips answer to a similar question during his AMA on reddit :

We're considering it but it requires a massive update to move everything around and keep all of the content working, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (we could be using that time to do cool new content!

-----
So nothing is really guaranteed.

25-Jul-2013 16:47:54

Frothed Milk

Frothed Milk

Posts: 355 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah this would be amazing. It would make the game feel so much more real and exciting - it's way too easy to get around nowadays - there should be some challenge. Also it would help make the lore feel more realistic - e.g. if the elf lands really were cut off by some mountains, rather than just some really really small hills.

Maybe if they made the distances 2X greater for everything? They wouldn't even have to fill the cities with more content; just maybe houses for people to live in etc.

25-Jul-2013 17:58:59

Jimla

Jimla

Posts: 5,394 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I thought everything looked fine until I tried the HTML5 client BETA.

While everything looks absolutely marvelous in the BETA and the draw distance is fantastic, it really makes you realize just how tiny and cramped the RuneScape world really is. The fact you can see so many cities and major areas all clumped together ruins the draw distance a tiny bit.

Even though it would probably take some big development power, I would love for them to start working on simply "expanding" the map. Not necessarily adding huge new areas, but increasing the amount of landscape, mountains, rivers, trees, open fields etc. between cities and popular areas.

This would allow players to have a very long, beautiful snapshot into the distant wilderness and landscapes, but you would not immediately see the next city right away until you walked half way there.

I don't see any problem with the increased walk times, as we can now teleport to literally almost every area of the map in mere seconds! :)

25-Jul-2013 18:07:40

Lego Miester
Nov Member 2023

Lego Miester

Posts: 35,339 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Considering they've been working their butts off to make it even easier to transport yourself (walking from varrock to falador was what, one minute? Now we have lodestones! ) I really doubt they'd make running distances longer. I mean, what would the point be at this stage besides aesthetics?

They used to make the game feel scaled up by making you take long, twisted routes (think White Wolf Mountain and that reed maze in morytania) and keeping the fog very claustrophobic. Now both are gone. Intentionally.
Headcanon Haven, where everything is made up and the points don't matter.
OSRS Lore: Xeric
Slepe Tight - Slepe Lore

25-Jul-2013 23:21:49 - Last edited on 25-Jul-2013 23:21:56 by Lego Miester

Death8u4u

Death8u4u

Posts: 17,864 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They'd have to develop a lot of content to fill the open space...there's too much open space in-game as is. There's far too many locations in the game that serve no purpose short of holding trees nobody ever chops.

I'm not against the map being made bigger by any means, just don't really see a point in it if all they're doing is stretching the map out essentially.

26-Jul-2013 04:04:37

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top