Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Brock Sly

Brock Sly

Posts: 2,168 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dsctatom said :
Kill Count said :
Mod Pips answer to a similar question during his AMA on reddit :

We're considering it but it requires a massive update to move everything around and keep all of the content working, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (we could be using that time to do cool new content!

-----
So nothing is really guaranteed.

I figure if we cut out the development time for a bacon quest, a few SoF and SGS promotions, and a game breaking "fix" or two: we could easily squeeze that in.

Rofl. Yes, this.

16-Aug-2013 03:42:46

Death8u4u

Death8u4u

Posts: 17,864 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Brock Sly said :
Dsctatom said :
Kill Count said :
Mod Pips answer to a similar question during his AMA on reddit :

We're considering it but it requires a massive update to move everything around and keep all of the content working, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (we could be using that time to do cool new content!

-----
So nothing is really guaranteed.

I figure if we cut out the development time for a bacon quest, a few SoF and SGS promotions, and a game breaking "fix" or two: we could easily squeeze that in.

Rofl. Yes, this.

I hope neither one of you are being serious...

1. Bacon question took a different team.

2. Wheel updates/promotions take a few minutes tops and have their own team.

3. Fixes is a COMPLETELY different department.

4. Upgrading the map size isn't as simple as entering "x10" into a computer.

16-Aug-2013 05:18:40

Anenemus

Anenemus

Posts: 2,328 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
SUPPORT.
According to the RS novels, it takes 3 days to travel from Edgeville to the monastery. LOL.

But seriously, the towns and cities are so small they can be the same thing (Seer's Village and Catherby can be the same town if they added a few buildings between them).

They should increase the map size, the city size and then the rivers, mountains, etc.
I know its a huge update, but I doubt its bigger than RS3.

16-Aug-2013 05:34:11

Death8u4u

Death8u4u

Anenemus said :
but I doubt its bigger than RS3.

Easily it would be. Runescape 3 was not that large of an update, despite the hype for it. Looking back at the change from Runescape Classic to Runescape 2, Runescape 2 to Runescape 3 can barely even be considered an update.

16-Aug-2013 05:37:14

Death8u4u

Death8u4u

Anenemus said :
Yeah..but the entire interface has changed, the camera has changed, and soon, so will the graphics.

But even if it is, it is one of the more essential updates.

Interface isn't that big of a difference actually, from a coding perspective. Not that it was a 30 second update by any means...but it was more visual than anything. Nowhere near the amount of time it would take to increase the map size by any number.

The camera...self explanatory, that is something they could have spent an hour fixing in the last version of the game.

The graphics are not part of the Runescape 3 update, they are completely separate. Runescape 3 is already out.

Adding new areas is essential. Stretching out the map so that we have 10x as many open and empty space in the game is far from being essential by any definition of the word...

16-Aug-2013 05:45:02 - Last edited on 16-Aug-2013 05:56:12 by Death8u4u

Iscera

Iscera

Posts: 577 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am loving this discussion, and how people are actively trying to participate...

I see 3 big issues with RuneScape.

1) TOO MUCH CONTENT packed in a wayyyy to small of an area. 75% (I think...) of the content is packed in the F2P area. It's horrible.

Solution: Spread out the map by 2 or 3 times, 4 is necessary.

2) The grid based game is seriously out-dated. We need free control, it's necessary.

Solution: See point 3)

3) MAKE THE GAME DOWNLOADABLE - People DON'T care anymore if this is a browser game. Make physical or digital copies of the game and DISTRIBUTE THEM!!! This is what is killing RS compared to its major competitors... GW2 is updated biweekly and is generally amazing compared to RuneScape. You're always busy, etc etc

Point is: RuneScape needs a bigger world, has to get rid of the grid-structure and needs to be downloadable.

17-Aug-2013 17:10:17

Awdhen
Jan Member 2019

Awdhen

Posts: 665 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think you can currently jump over the most rivers in RuneScape. The size of the newest grapichal updates is not in proportion compared to the old content. The Slayer tower is larger then Canifis. The Duel Arena almost has the same size as Lumbridge Swamp, it has the same size as Shilo Village. Either those buildings are to big or the villages are too small.

For me it is the second, Canifis has a total of 7 small huts, you can hardly call that a village... Same goes for all the cities and towns..

The only way to fix this disproptionate map is to increase it's size.

Empty gaps can be filled with forests, farms, pasture, more buildings in cities and town. There are currently 2 farms to feed the entire Kingdom of Kandarin, a little to few don't you think. To compensate the increased size you can place bank chests in those new farms. Increase the size of rivers.

Maybe add instanced goblin raids on those farms which acts as a random event. Goblins would be using level scaling. That way those farms have some use. ( Much like the dynamic events in gw2) Afterwards you get GP for rewards.

Add some Tundra wastelands in the north instead of the current green pasture in front of relekka.

Add more higher level monsters in the forests. Also give the forests a more dark look, now they just look like city parks, make them darker with advanced lighting effects.

Those are just some of my ideas how the world would look better.

Oh, and I like the idea of a downloadable client, the only reason why HTML5 is currently so laggy is because of the restrictions of chrome.

17-Aug-2013 18:00:28 - Last edited on 17-Aug-2013 18:05:31 by Awdhen

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top