Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Firebat

Firebat

Posts: 5,458 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
while I'm all for a bigger and more spaced out world, remember your punnet squares.

if you make it 2x bigger in both directions, it becomes bigger by a factor of 4.
if you make it 5x bigger in both directions, it becomes bigger by a factor of 25.
if you make it 10x bigger in both directions, it becomes bigger by a factor of 100.
if you make it 30x bigger in both directions, it becomes bigger by a factor of 900.
if you make it 50x bigger in both directions, it becomes bigger by a factor of 2500.

I could tolerate anything from 2-10, but there are some buildings that just fine the way they are. A peasant's shack shouldn't be 40x40 (and each square is about a 1 sq. metre. 40m x 40m is probably bigger than your house, unless your house is like 17,800 square feet).

This could also impact potential spawn points for NPCs and the like, and something too big could make even the most basic tasks mundane to the point its painful. It could only really be considered anyway, if html5 was fully integrated and on various browsers. a scaled up world would start to suck pretty quick in java. (ie: it could really only go up to x2 before it starts to get bothersome)

Something else to consider, you can't really compare rs3 to skyrim. skyrim is predominantly first person with a third person option, whereas runescape is third person exclusively (in both aesthetics and function). skyrim utilizes WASD for movement, whereas runescape has those for actions/hotkeys. Clicking to move simply wouldn't function well in first person, and WSAD doesn't make for effective pathfinding with how runescape is laid out. They probably won't give us the option of one input = monocontinuous movement either.

From classic to rs2, things were scaled up anywhere from 1.0 to 1.5, and because of that, we now have the Run option. I'm skeptical on mounts in general too. :P

06-Aug-2013 16:12:45

Pikkupstix
Feb Member 2020

Pikkupstix

Posts: 5,929 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Firebat said :
I could tolerate anything from 2-10, but there are some buildings that just fine the way they are. A peasant's shack shouldn't be 40x40 (and each square is about a 1 sq. metre. 40m x 40m is probably bigger than your house, unless your house is like 17,800 square feet).

Peasants didn't live in mansions? D:
Pikkupstix

Mithril dragons drop mithril bars.

07-Aug-2013 07:47:27

Tobby

Tobby

Posts: 1,226 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sorry to say; jagex has very rarely actually listened to player suggestions as big as this. If they did then we'd have had the elf quest ages ago, for example.

It sickens me though, that this update would be the right way of the game, but prob gets neglected.

07-Aug-2013 10:02:20

Dsctatom
Dec Member 2023

Dsctatom

Posts: 12,987 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kill Count said :
Mod Pips answer to a similar question during his AMA on reddit :

We're considering it but it requires a massive update to move everything around and keep all of the content working, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (we could be using that time to do cool new content!

-----
So nothing is really guaranteed.

I figure if we cut out the development time for a bacon quest, a few SoF and SGS promotions, and a game breaking "fix" or two: we could easily squeeze that in.

08-Aug-2013 17:34:41

Naruto 1001

Naruto 1001

Posts: 946 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Bill Gates said :
They could just fill space inbetween cities with forests or something, just trees and maybe some random ncps.

Yeah even if it would be just forrest at first it would already be great to have some new areas to walk through.
Part of the
Free Players
community.

09-Aug-2013 22:55:30 - Last edited on 09-Aug-2013 22:55:51 by Naruto 1001

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top