Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

FishSaidNo

FishSaidNo

Posts: 192 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Drake said :
Mod Matthe said :
Scaling up the world, as various people have described and suggested in this thread would be a huge project - not only would it require a complete redrawing and designing of the whole world but it would have enormous knock on effects to the balance and economics of the world. As such it is highly unlikely to be something we would work on in the foreseeable future*

Do it anyway, priority #1

28-Oct-2014 07:11:25

Lord Xam

Lord Xam

Posts: 1,324 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I understand that scaling up the whole world is a lot of work and that it probably won't happen. Still, they could at least add more new land along with content instead of placing it in between already existing things.

28-Oct-2014 07:40:03

Stalemate

Stalemate

Posts: 654 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I remember at the beginning of this year the project the team worked on was decided by us through the Power to the Players poll; whether they worked on Prifddinas or developed the Inventor skill. I think with 2015 coming up, it'd be a good idea if we could get another poll to decide the project the team works on over the course of the year, and have the increased scaling of the world as an option. I understand that it'll be a long and tedious project, but I think it's definitely something worth considering and polling.

~ Gareth Bale ~

~ Hala Madrid ~

28-Oct-2014 09:21:16 - Last edited on 28-Oct-2014 09:21:43 by Stalemate

Cinder Quill

Cinder Quill

Posts: 4,580 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Whilst I like the idea of scaling up, what I think would simply be a better use of resources is an intelligent use of space, instead of cluttering the world with useless houses which hold nothing of interest or value, redesign all the current cities with infrastructures akin to Ashdale, jampacked with houses which are built as decorations, and lots of scenery, using more scenery to break up the environment, and using texture walls to hide karamja and the other islands from view.

28-Oct-2014 21:58:02

kybeshahbanu

kybeshahbanu

Posts: 22 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"I am not an expert on Java or the coding side of things. But as far as I can tell they must have reached some sort of upper limit to their map size. Hence why no new large areas have been opened up beyond the current square map. Which I think is linked to the game engine itself (if someone wants to correct me on that feel free). It probably doesn't support worlds larger than whatever the current x/y size is.

There are bugs that could be associated with larger worlds that may not be present on the current map size. As an example of such bugs, the skyrim game engine specifically can't compute physics beyond a 132 by 132 cell worldspace. (Skyrim's world size was 119 by 94 cells, so it was not an issue in-game) But this bug broke all player created worlds over that size. It seemed random but I think it turned out that it was buried deep in the gaming code and could not be fixed." Big boss
sory not used to forums so got quoted

True . Actually Ashadale was below khardian dessert when realed but it was not on the map. So It was later moved to current location
Adding places are not supported on world map so how you expand it. Yes Html 5 had it the map so it is the game engine issue

29-Oct-2014 11:46:20 - Last edited on 30-Oct-2014 10:46:35 by kybeshahbanu

kybeshahbanu

kybeshahbanu

Posts: 22 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Big Boss 1 said :
So, since RuneLabs are coming I think it's time we step up our call to get the world re-vamped.

I think generally everyone wants the map of Gielinor pretty much the same only bigger- more spread out just so everything isn't so cluttered. I'm stating that now since I think when I read the thread previously there were a few other ideas about what should happen floating about - we need a bit of clarity so we are of one mind.

First things first, we need a 'scaled up map' to get our idea across on how big we want Gielinor to be. There will be a technical limitation on how big the world map can be, I don't know what that is but for all I know we could already be at it.

Without knowing what the limitation is it's impossible to plan anything for our new world map. Since our goal here should be to give the Jmods as much help as we can to ensure this actually happens.
There is no point in a few of us spending our time drawing all these maps and concept art pieces only to be told that it really isn't possible.

So I implore all of you who have any contact with Jmods on any platform to find out what the 'world space' size limit actually is. I would be hopeful that the switch to HTML5 might have increased it (but I'm no coder so I don't know much about that aspect).

If it is the case that we are already at that limit.. we should probably devote ourselves to planning a new continent.

~ Big Boss.

Yes, the limit has been reached. maybe little bit but has been reached for java client.
Maybe when new c++/Html5 clients comes. the limit could be extended. Maybe they are doing that but as they are still beta and java client still their so it is very difficult. I think u have to wait for the next engine. As major graphical clients update took more than a year and expanding graphical reworks. They may even need 2 years no update. this could cause mny angry users. If they do it simpatonously with updates as they may do.

30-Oct-2014 10:42:39

youngMathews
Mar Member 2017

youngMathews

Posts: 105 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't know why, but the older version of runescape felt much more expansive to me.
Maybe it's because the struggle of traveling is zero to none now that we don't have to wait for the home teleport spell or pay millions to switch the main city to teleport to.
Now Begone!

01-Nov-2014 17:38:32 - Last edited on 01-Nov-2014 17:39:56 by youngMathews

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top