Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Dark Musica

Dark Musica

Posts: 10,074 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Keep in mind that expanding the world size isn't easy, and if they were going to do it, they'd likely throw in a few extra things they would do at the same time in order to not have to do them in the future and thus save time.

- Graphics would have to go in and manually re-design every area in the entire game adding in new flora, fauna, buildings, and NPC's.
- They would graphically update every area of the game at the same time they did the above, to keep with the updated feel.
- They would change the mapping system from squares to polygons to allow for WASD movement and great customization of terrain.

These 3 things combined would take an enormous amount of dev time. They would need to pull mods from other projects to work on it, thus reducing the production of new content or they would have to hire more people to work solely on expansion. The problem with this is that they don't win either way with the community. If there's no new content, people whine. SOF/Solomon's? Can't support "real world trading" so Jagex can hire more staff to put out more updates. No, we can't have that at all.
Overseer
of Domination. Join today!

08-Sep-2013 09:32:13

wanderer00k

wanderer00k

Posts: 1,056 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Eto said :
You need people to fill up that space otherwise making a larger map will only feel emptier. If RS is ever scaled up it would mean that many people would never see another player, making this a solo game.

Not necessarily, If you want to see more people head to a city, leave the wilderness vast and open so it gives that sense of adventure. I personally think I see way to many players running around as is.

I would love to see rs scaled up.

08-Sep-2013 21:57:10

Challeng3r 2

Challeng3r 2

Posts: 6,657 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I really hope that they decide to do so, currently the game is small.
But if they did do it we could not only have a larger, more beautiful looking area but it could provide extra content such as having to climb up a huge mountain crevice (Rock-climbing could be an Agility thing) and give Jagex more room to be creative instead of cramming large things in small areas.

Only when things like an enlarged world appear will I call this game RS3 and mean it.

~Zaroterasu: "Use your talents to project your ideas, not to try to please people".
~Zaroterasu.

09-Sep-2013 11:46:54

Fearce Deity
Aug Member 2013

Fearce Deity

Posts: 412 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kill Count said :
Mod Pips answer to a similar question during his AMA on reddit :

We're considering it but it requires a massive update to move everything around and keep all of the content working, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort (we could be using that time to do cool new content!

-----
So nothing is really guaranteed.

Ummm why wouldn't that be "cool content". It would be in the same league as html5.

09-Sep-2013 12:15:51

JackScape
Dec Member 2023

JackScape

Posts: 1,376 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dark Musica said :
Keep in mind that expanding the world size isn't easy, and if they were going to do it, they'd likely throw in a few extra things they would do at the same time in order to not have to do them in the future and thus save time.

- Graphics would have to go in and manually re-design every area in the entire game adding in new flora, fauna, buildings, and NPC's.
- They would graphically update every area of the game at the same time they did the above, to keep with the updated feel.
- They would change the mapping system from squares to polygons to allow for WASD movement and great customization of terrain.

These 3 things combined would take an enormous amount of dev time. They would need to pull mods from other projects to work on it, thus reducing the production of new content or they would have to hire more people to work solely on expansion.

Shut up and take my money.

Honestly this is about the best thing they can do for the game right now. Rather than creating more and more doomed-to-be-dead content, I say let them expand the game world. I'd be fine with three months, six months, hell - a year of no updates if only to work on expanding.

RuneScape as it is has lost its immersion. The game world is cluttered and packed tightly; it's lost that sense of adventure. Expand the map 2-3x and add WASD movement. Do it. Do it now.

09-Sep-2013 22:27:20 - Last edited on 09-Sep-2013 22:29:00 by JackScape

Munc

Munc

Posts: 3,915 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The post where the Mod answers that instead of this expansion they could bring out cool updates, I would rather have a world 20+ times larger then it is now, rather not have some **** SOF update where you get crap or some skill that apparently took so long to develop, but is simpler then Runespan.
|
Trimmed
|
Master Quest
|

|
I like Burds.
|

10-Sep-2013 08:04:57 - Last edited on 10-Sep-2013 08:05:56 by Munc

Lyyer

Lyyer

Posts: 15 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
JackScape said :
Dark Musica said :

These 3 things combined would take an enormous amount of dev time. They would need to pull mods from other projects to work on it, thus reducing the production of new content or they would have to hire more people to work solely on expansion.

Shut up and take my money.

Honestly this is about the best thing they can do for the game right now. Rather than creating more and more doomed-to-be-dead content, I say let them expand the game world. I'd be fine with three months, six months, hell - a year of no updates if only to work on expanding.

RuneScape as it is has lost its immersion. The game world is cluttered and packed tightly; it's lost that sense of adventure. Expand the map 2-3x and add WASD movement. Do it. Do it now.

Agree. I can wait months without updates, just lets do it now.

11-Sep-2013 22:52:09

Maria Dalou

Maria Dalou

Posts: 28 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
x2 distance? That's dismal. This may seem extreme, but I want to see the world scaled up by about 30x-50x in every direction. Think about it - this would mean that Varrock would be 50x bigger, like an actual settlement in proportion to your character! This would mean that the distance between every village and town would be increased by a factor of 50x. Falador would be 50 times farther away from Varrock than it is today - a trip could possibly take up to an hour without a mount or the use of fast travel lodestones. All that space in between population centers would be unexplored, but lush wilderness bountiful in resources. Exploration would go from a forced roleplay activity to an unofficial skill. Throw in day/night cycles, aggressive monsters spawning rarely in uninhabited areas at night, and randomly generated daemonheim style dungeons and Gielinor would be a wondrously vast and dangerous but rewarding realm to traverse. Meeting another player would be (hopefully) a rare luxury. Sure it would seem empty and lonely at first, but it would build the foundation for another decade of Runescape content.

EDIT: Heh, funny the guy above me posted that while I was typing this up. That's pretty much what I want to see. This would bring forth so much potential. I really hope Jagex seriously considers undertaking a project like this. I want to explore a world like the one depicted in the website background artwork.

Support!!!

This would be so awesome, and like you said they could even make a new skill out of it. Exploration that be really sweet, its like i can dream it already.

Maybe not 50 times larger but 20 would do just fine "that would be 20-30min walk to next city which is more than enough".

This would also make mountains to be bigger, like going up to the clouds.

Yes for this yes yes yes and yes! Again yes!

13-Sep-2013 09:45:23 - Last edited on 13-Sep-2013 09:46:04 by Maria Dalou

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top