Forums

Will RS ever be Scaled Up?

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295

Lyyer

Lyyer

Posts: 15 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Totally support, I think, when the HTML.5 will be released, Gielinor can handle with the map expanding. The current frail Java system is just too weak for this kind of update. But this is a big potential for RS3. The players realized (cuz of the html5 beta), that Gielinor is just like a small island, and the distances ridiculous.
With the HTML5, the expanded map is ready to develop, because we have teleports evrywhere, and agility just recently got updated.

What I'd love to see:
-cities 5x-8x larger
-villages 2x-3x larger
-distances between settlements 10x-20 larger
-current 'rivers' WAY more wider (at least 10x-20x)
-current 'mountains' (honestly just some mud pile) way more larger (30x)
-downloadable game, It would make the game more faster, the web just should download the other players/market.

BUT it raises many problems:
-a ******** of bugs/gliches
-it would take months of development
-redesign/rewrite the current co-ordinate, and clue scroll system.
-system crasher at early stages
-almost redesign the whole runescape so jagex have to start again, the current map would be a sketch.
-to the faster work, jagex needs more ppl at thei Hq

02-Sep-2013 15:44:29

SuperDood
Jun Member 2022

SuperDood

Posts: 212 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The game will be scaled up or have visual illusions to make it seem bigger.

Currently the game on HTML5 looks sill in many areas just because of all the stuff you can see. I am confident jagex will find a way to mask this look or scale up the game. Part of growing a game is expanding content. Expansions for other MMOs add many new areas of content.

02-Sep-2013 20:38:30

Eto

Eto

Posts: 766 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You need people to fill up that space otherwise making a larger map will only feel emptier. If RS is ever scaled up it would mean that many people would never see another player, making this a solo game.

05-Sep-2013 03:21:20

Lewa
Jun Member 2008

Lewa

Posts: 627 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The increase of world/city size would also re-value teleports without removing loadstones. Think about it, If the distance between the varrock loadstone and the fountan was even 5x longer it would be worth the runes/level to be able to teleport there. The problem now is that loadstones are way too close to normal teles, not that they skip the areas in between. It would be incredibly annoying to have such large gaps which you hve to traverse more than once.

05-Sep-2013 15:24:15

BEASTYzaros
Dec Member 2009

BEASTYzaros

Posts: 5,015 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've been wishing for this for YEARS. I remember that it would literally take about 20-30 minutes to travel from Port Tyras to Port Phasmatas just by walking and running. And now that we have a longer running time and teleports up the ass, we could seriously use an update to the game size. I personally haven't played HTML5 beta, but from what I hear, the draw distance just shows how terribly small RuneScape is..

I mean, back in the day, the game didn't have to be big because there wasn't that much to do in comparison to today. When I first started to play this in '04, I loved it. Teleportation was a necessity, running across the land was fun, as I got to see the awesome scenery, but... nowadays, it seems like that's the complete opposite...

After a while I started to play WoW (yes, I played World of Warcraft and I still do, get over yourselves). Tbh, I was enamored by its vast landscapes and after a while of playing both RS and WoW, I wanted RS to have the same distances where it would take about an hour or so just to travel from one end of the continent to the other, even on a flying mount.

I want RuneScape to expand. Badly. I love this game to pieces, and it needs a revamped map size.
BEASTYzaros
| Empire of Zaros |
Quester and Loreseeker

Light
blinds.
Darkness
enshrouds. A
Harmony
of both will show the truth.

06-Sep-2013 07:03:40

Jordumus

Jordumus

Posts: 2,463 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What they could possibly do: (in this order)

1-> The entire kharidian Desert gets scaled out to cover the entire southern part of the map (from west to east) and is made a little less "heigh" (upon the y-axis). This will replace some desert cities and locations, but we'll get used to it fast enough. This makes the desert about 4-5x times as large as it is now.

2-> The islands are moved away from between the current Kharidian Desert and yanille/feldip hills, creating place to enlarge other parts for the time being.

3-> The f2p part gets stretched out to form the entire south-east corner of the current world-map, with the desert going south of it, making it 5-6x larger than it is currently, fill the empty spots up with fields, forests (300 trees,for 1 forest, anyone?)

4->The wilderness gets moved to form the north-eastern corner, a lot of space is wasted there currently as there is a lot of water there. Don't enlarge the wilderniss yet at this stade.

5-> The elven area gets stretched out about 3 times on the x-axis and is made double as heigh (y-axis), in this same stadium, the fishing colony and piscatoris area (with Eagles peak) get replaced a bit to the north-west and upscaled.

6-> White wolf mountain, trollheim area and the ice area north of it gets upscaled 5-8 times on the x-axis, this creates -A LOT- of of free place south of wwm (remember, we moved away the island there in a earlier stade)

7-> Ardougne, feldip and the villages (catherby, taverley, ...) expand, using the space that was created in the previous step, when we enlarged lumbridge, we also created a lot more place towards the south, so we use that to increase the distance between the cities and villages.

8-> All islands are reworked and get new locations.

9-> Morytania is moved a tad more to the east, and upscaled 2-3 times, to give port phas and canafis more room to expand.

At this point almost the entire map is done... 2014, year of the upscaling ?

One can only dream and hope. ;)

06-Sep-2013 17:16:39

Quick find code: 16-17-926-65091295 Back to Top