Forums

PvP, Rebirth, and Good Faith

Quick find code: 16-17-754-66251954

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While Jagex would basically have to nerf those warbands and gloves in order to make them useable in a Wilderness that lacks Pkers as a danger, that would be a disgusting route to take when leaving it in the game as is when making it opt-in only would preserve the content's usefulness and the danger those pieces of content are built around - while possibly even being an easier measure to implement than an outright nerf when considering the lack of disappointment that will cause some players who are used to the better rates.

After all, I thought Pkers were the bad guys here - not the skillers that enjoyed the risk.

With something like Searing Ashes, any Pker who kills someone doing a lava stryke task would be able to receive the ashes as a drop - as well as any emblem the slayer might be holding. The danger that PvPers who are particularly interested in lava stryke drops pose probably -would- be impacted economically. More people would go do their lava stryke task, resulting in more slayers, resulting in more supply.

Revs are another debatable area of concern. It's less than ideal that Revenants have a pet unique to them that might be considered a "force" for pet hunters to enter dangerous content, but Ancient Warriors gear probably would have a negative economic effect, especially seeing as how Revs were hardly dangerous on their own and Jagex was aware of it.

My hopes aren't high on any replacement risk factors, admittedly. Either they are predictable and avoidable like Revs were - or so annoying that nothing changes -and- Pkers are less happy with the Wilderness, making everyone upset.
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

12-May-2022 02:40:21

Jack Flac
Feb Member 2022

Jack Flac

Posts: 6,207 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Deltaslug said :
tbh, they don't need to do anything about stuff like Rev drops or Wildywyrms/Lava Strykes.
Wildywyrm is still a powerful boss on its own.
Lava strykes can only be fought on slayer task like other stryke wyrms.
On top of that, a lot of the Wildy Drops are no longer top tier ...
Lavawhip etc are only T85. Mandrith's Bounty Slayer are T87.
A lot of stuff is still RNG based.
So you're not really at risk of anything getting too broken with a change to being a more open area.
You can buy a Lava Strykewyrm bounty from the guy by the wall and farm Lava Strykewyrms for as long as you want. You haven't needed a task to kill them for years now. Hearts I think still are task only though.
Leader of The Enemy ||
The opposite of Justice is simply another Justice. What is Evil is subjective to each person.
YOU
are their evil

14-May-2022 00:27:38 - Last edited on 14-May-2022 05:38:23 by Jack Flac

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Jack, I actually had no idea Erskine offered regular contracts as well as the special ones you need while on task until reading your post and looking it up.

That means that the reliable unique, Searing Ashes, is still a drop you can farm at your leisure, meaning that should the area become reliably safe, it will probably be farmed more regularly.

I'm not saying the economy for these items is going to result in a massive crash, but its more probable than many might expect.

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

14-May-2022 23:18:51

Scombridus
May Member 2022

Scombridus

Posts: 2,745 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While I just made a wildly different wildy post in other thread, here's another idea-
How about team-based wilderness content?

There could be 2 or 3 NPC-headed wilderness "teams" that have set group skilling tasks in the wilderness to compete against the other team/s. You can either skill, protect skillers, or attack/steal from the other team/s. The winners get rewarded after a set amount of time. Yes this is a very vague idea because I just thought of it.

Basically Stealing Creation but on the scale of the entire wilderness and with real items at stake.

The problem this solves is that it cuts down on the amount of pointless 1v1s, ganks, and itemless people by organizing PVP like a wilderness clan might.

22-May-2022 22:34:19 - Last edited on 22-May-2022 22:59:51 by Scombridus

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Hey Paintchip! I was perusing your ideas in other threads and I generally like how engaged you are. I do have a couple of thoughts on them, and I wanted to consolidate them here because I think this thread covers a wide net of issues the Wilderness faces as well as the amount of viewpoints.

Wildy Endurance

I think you might be a little pleased about this one - although partially. Mod Keeper's Q&A (which also released the timeline that revealed the upcoming Wildy update) brought about that Jagex -also- feels like Roaming Revs were a pretty weak stand-in for a Pker, and that they also want to keep the spirit of the Wilderness as a "dangerous" place. That bodes well for having to brave a myriad of potential elements in order to operate in the Wilderness to a certain degree - and could potentially incorporate using skills to stem the danger level actively. The risk - again - is that these dangers are too cumbersome for players to enjoy, which means that Pkers potentially lose more targets only for the rest of the community to still regard the Wilderness as a less than ideal place to train.

Wilderness Factions/Wildy Stealing Creation

I love it. I think this would be a really fun mini-game that would be applicable to the entire population of the Wilderness regardless of whether or not they are opted-in to PvP, and combining it with proper incentive (I harp on incentive a lot throughout this thread, because again, preserving targets in this area for Pkers is important, and providing ample reward for taking the risk for skillers just as so.) to opt-in would make it seem like a particularly lively event. I also think it could tie into the lore direction the game will take (as most updates in RS3 tend to follow the developing story these days) too. Hopefully there's a way to sort of integrate this faction game into a player's original skilling/slayer/PvP goals, so that there's more incentive to engage with Wilderness content with utmost freedom.

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

23-May-2022 03:23:47

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

(cont.)

Higher tier resources, Deeper Wilderness

Being completely honest, I don't believe the incentive that players need to enter the Wilderness in 2022 is strictly monetary - and tiering resources to how deep within the area they are located probably wouldn't fly particularly well with Skillers who are already weary of traversing the area anyway.

For Pkers, the assurance that there will always be someone that will willingly take the gamble to enter the Wilderness with a target on their back should be enough. The Wilderness isn't a PvP Arena where players are looking for fair bouts. It's an area where -EVERY- player is looking for gain and the normal rules don't apply like they do everywhere else. Here, a player crashing your slayer spot can be punished for doing so.... -THAT- is the attitude that the Wilderness adheres to in the game's lore, as well as both games' history.

For Skillers - the goal should be convince them that the Wilderness is worth taking the gamble, and equipping them to maximize their chances of profiting off said gamble. Players should -want- to learn how to Anti-Pk. Players should -want- to learn all the tricks they need to escape a Pker... and most importantly, they should want to come back again and again even if they do sometimes end up relinquishing their spoils to someone who kills them because the reward is worth it, and because the experience is thrilling as opposed to plain annoying.

Back to your point on items - you generally already do find the better items in the deep crevices of the Wilderness as it is already. Lava Strykewyrms are at around level 38 Wilderness west of the herb patch you need to farm bloodweed at. The Chaos Elemental is north of the deep fence, along with the Wilderness Agility Course. The Forinthry Dungeon and Wilderness Volcano act as choke points for Pkers to encircle slayers (and Cursed diviners.)...and so on.

All the same, I generally am not opposed to new stuff.

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

23-May-2022 03:37:38

Scombridus
May Member 2022

Scombridus

Posts: 2,745 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
H 1 L D A said :
(cont.)

Back to your point on items - you generally already do find the better items in the deep crevices of the Wilderness as it is already. Lava Strykewyrms are at around level 38 Wilderness west of the herb patch you need to farm bloodweed at. The Chaos Elemental is north of the deep fence, along with the Wilderness Agility Course. The Forinthry Dungeon and Wilderness Volcano act as choke points for Pkers to encircle slayers (and Cursed diviners.)...and so on.

I didn't fully explain it, but my initial idea along those lines was almost like a skilling level boost that increases the deeper you go.

Say you have 50 fishing. Normally you can catch swordfish at best.
Now you go deeper into the wilderness, and you can catch sharks to sell, and get exp for sharks.

Though you're probably right that it would likely turn into mobs of itemless people going into the wilderness with nothing to lose but a few sharks.

Really for me the smithing rework already got me into the wilderness more, as I make my own gear for exp and don't really have anything to lose.

23-May-2022 14:11:06 - Last edited on 23-May-2022 15:00:44 by Scombridus

Pachuli714
Mar Member 2008

Pachuli714

Posts: 4,549 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As far as Revs are concerned, I had tried a few times to get the pet there and finally did succeed but was PK'ed before I could get out safely. Never been back since. I welcome the opt-in change but worry that things like Revs will continue to be a free-for-all area which means I'll just be avoiding it like the plague. Opt-in must and should include all areas and activities in Wildy otherwise it's just a farce.

25-May-2022 04:56:55

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

@Paintchip

Ah I see.

I think I'd rather see something like that get worked into an update like Wilderness Archaeology (which you're going to want to do opted-out of PvP so that you can use things like the Grace of the Elves) - where a potential new relic power that comes out of it would provide of boosting levels (either visibly or unseen) of random skills every 5 minutes, which allow players to farm higher level resources in the Wilderness than their levels would normally allow.

Stuff like that would be really fun, and would definitely help out all sorts of players.

@Pachuli

We're in agreement in when it comes to areas. Players should be able to access every music track in the Wilderness, see all there is to see, and engage with non-economy disrupting, non-PvP-focused content without the fear of being Pked when this update occurs. I would also agree that it should include Revenants, which were released not only to stand in for Pkers originally, but also somewhat emulate their behavior by blocking teleportation, healing occasionally, and changing combat styles. This would also include being able to access the slight buff in damage against the King Black Dragon (perhaps providing a second teleport location choice outside the gate in the Wilderness for War's Retreat.) as Jagex wants to keep the Wilderness artificially dangerous even when opted-out.

Where we're not in agreement necessarily is in regard to all -activities.-

Why should a player not able to be attacked be able to pick up the Hellfire Bow? That's just giving someone a free t95 bow with no drawback other than they can't keep it outside of the Wilderness.

Why should a player not able to be attacked be able to participate in Wilderness Warbands, possibly receiving a Wand of Treachery, without the risk of becoming an immediate target to players Jagex intentionally wanted to bring together?

Why should a player not able to be attacked receive benefits from a Demonic Skull?

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

25-May-2022 22:01:44

Pachuli714
Mar Member 2008

Pachuli714

Posts: 4,549 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
H 1 L D A said :
Where we're not in agreement necessarily is in regard to all -activities.-

Why should a player not able to be attacked be able to pick up the Hellfire Bow? That's just giving someone a free t95 bow with no drawback other than they can't keep it outside of the Wilderness.

Why should a player not able to be attacked be able to participate in Wilderness Warbands, possibly receiving a Wand of Treachery, without the risk of becoming an immediate target to players Jagex intentionally wanted to bring together?

Why should a player not able to

My counter is why should they? This is exactly my concern -- that the opt-in will have conditions that are a joke. Either you opt-out of all or you don't bother with any of the content at all because you can still be killed here or there. The opt-in/out thing then becomes meaningless.

If you're concerned about those particular Wildy-only items, maybe they should be removed from the game or only available to PKers, and frankly, I'm fine with either option. Let the PKers get better rewards for killing other PKers. Just don't reward them for killing me while I'm minding my own business and choosing to opt-out of PVP.

30-May-2022 13:21:42

Quick find code: 16-17-754-66251954 Back to Top