Forums

'Fresher' Start Worlds '2'

Quick find code: 16-17-743-66261009

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If free payer buys bonds or Runecoins then they are no longer free players, and how many of them exist?

Businesses always make changes according to customer feedbacks, how is Jagex different? But again, they don't make changes just because of one person in the forums. They made changes to make their games better for the 320 mil potential customers and a lot more not there yet. But after all, they will need for customers to trust them with money.

Heathy model? If it is healthy then Jagex wouldn't have to diversify and buy Pipeworks Studio, as well as well as reaching out to new and long lapsed players. If it is healthy then why are so many existing players questioning the $12.5 a month subscription?

27-Aug-2022 22:01:20

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Posts: 1,666 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A free player with a buyable cosmetic doesn't become a subscriber, so RuneCoins are purchasable for free players. A free player that sells their Bond for RSGP doesn't become a subscriber, so Bonds are purchasable for free players. That's quite simple.

I'm not being so presumptuous as to say my opinion matters over the people that they surveyed Dilbert, but you're wrong as well in that my opinion doesn't matter as a paying subscriber. If there are many people who are agree with me and leave similar feedback, Jagex would be more compelled to listen. That's why people -leave- feedback on the forums in part - for it to gain traction with others, and ultimate reach Jagex's eyes as a result.

Jagex can choose to ignore it, like they did with the Evolution of Combat when it was initially released, or when they removed the Wilderness and Free Trade back in 2007, but they do so at their own risk. In order to get the money they need from their consumers, they kinda have to offer consumers what they want as a general rule no?

Are we sure Jagex isn't investing in themselves by purchasing another games studio and that they are instead buying that company out of necessity?

Yes, healthy - even with the increased recurring sub fee, free-to-play is -still- an option we as consumers can settle on! The people who are complaining about that? Probably the folks who already have said subscription -or- the lapsed players who lost their grandfather rate (which is kinda ironic don't you think?)

Finally, it's been stated, by Jagex, that they want the games to grow. Growth! So the question becomes, does Jagex want a larger playerbase, or a larger bottom line?

I'd argue that Jagex wants more players - and that's where making the game as accessible as possible can be a significant strength over the competition, if only they would lean into it!
Quest Cape Owner since 2021

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

27-Aug-2022 22:16:57

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

When free players pay, regardless they buy Runecoins or TH key, they are no longer playing free anymore even if they don't get membership.

I doubt Jagex ignore anything they read, but they have over 320 mil potential customers just from Runescape, over 300 mil more from Pipeworks, and even more new ones to serve too. They can't be reading and responding positively to every one. That's my point, and I believe it is theirs as well as every business'.

When Jagex bought Pipeworks, the are diversifying their business and portfolio according to Jagex's overlord, Michael Wand:

"Michael Wand, Managing Director and Co-Head of the Carlyle Europe Technology Partners advisory team, said: “In January 2021, Carlyle acquired Jagex to support the next phase of the company’s growth, including maintaining a focus on its core RuneScape franchise while further diversifying the business and its portfolio. The acquisition of Pipeworks is in line with this strategy, and we are delighted to support Jagex with this transaction.”"

Healthy? Jagex's last report growth rates of 18% from RS3 and 6% from OSRS are below the 23% reported by the entire video game industry.

Of course, like every business, Jagex is trying to grow both their customer bases, and revenue and profits. That's why you see them doing FSW, hoping to draw and monetize new bloods to the game so they can grow both their playerbase and revenue/profits at the same time.

Err if you think Jagex want more players than money, or else they will be truly fee to play like Diablo Immortal or remove all content locks behind subscription and rework membership to give solely MTX benefits now.

27-Aug-2022 22:33:10 - Last edited on 27-Aug-2022 22:40:02 by Dilbert2001

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

There's obviously a difference between "playing for free" vs "being a F2P player." - various games allow you to play the game without an upfront purchase price or recurring subscription and still allow players to purchase things within their game once. The six dollars or what have you for those coins or keys may help Jagex keep the lights on at the office for one month, and it may provide the player a nice cosmetic outfit, some xp, some gp, or even two weeks of membership, but it doesn't change the fact that Jagex would rather that player be subscribed, as that's where most of RS's generated income comes from. Assuming that person doesn't use the bond for membership, that person is still playing on a F2P server with its entailed restrictions, and Jagex is getting only one small payment from the player and nothing else assured. Putting that into perspective, Jagex probably made more money off of free players when there was an advertisement over the fixed game screen before resizable was released to the full community.

Thank you for backing up what I just told you with that quote! :D

Carlyle literally says "we bought Pipeworks to support the -growth- of Jagex!" Supporting a growing company, which would need to be healthy in order to actually achieve growth, is far different from diversifying your portfolio simply by necessity.

Does Jagex want money? Yes. Do they want more players? Yes. It comes to follow that if Jagex has more players - there's more -opportunity- to make more money. And for years, that's been the beauty of RuneScape's free-to-play model. It allowed players to have a fulfilling experience by only gating certain areas and paywalling few pieces of content within a still sizeable world to explore.

I know we argue semantics a lot. My definitely of being "free-to-play", is being able to access any portion of a game without a subscription and obtain a somewhat fulfilling experience (making it more than a simple demo.)

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

28-Aug-2022 02:03:43

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

(cont. - was running out of characters, mb)

So you might ask me "how does having a fulfilling but not complete experience in a free to play server help Jagex make money?"

For the last couple of decades (which is... a long time in the games industry.) Jagex has managed to find the right balance between the carrot and the stick, so to speak. They dangle the carrot by having a physical gate to a location, or a chat box message when a player tries to interact with something, but they never time-gate the Free experience and instead over the years content has actually been slowly -released- later on to Free players instead.

This results in growing that part of the game as well (speaking solely about Rs3 - it might be one of the few strengths this free game has over Old School RuneScape, which looks largely like it did back in the early 2000's without many hand-me-down picks if any at all.) - and fostering a maybe small but loyal free player community as well as leaving the opportunity available for them to subscribe on their own desire and not by abrupt force.

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

28-Aug-2022 02:09:13

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Free players and free to pay games are two different things. A free to play game obviously have not just free players, some payers have to support the game but it can but not must have subscriptions.

Carlyle Group clearly said they are diversifying Jagex's business and portfolio. Yes, they are growing Jagex, but Jagex is no longer just Runescape, and they are growing Jagex's business through Pipeworks and other projects. Of course, the still want Runescape to grow but they are not relying on Runescape alone to grow Jagex. What it means is if Runescape doesn't grow as far as Jagex's other products, in the future we may hear people referring to Jagex as the developer of Pipework Games instead of Runesape.

That's also why Runescape is looking for outside help too. They will have to get new and lapsed players to improve their growth rate, thus Fresh Start Worlds. Of course, they will also have to make sure Runesape deliver the kind of quality project like Archaeology that spearheaded their last financial report with Record Revenue.

The next 12 months will be interesting. Let's see if FSW delivers and RS3 has something as least as big as Archaeology coming up next year. If not, we may see something change to their $12.5 a month business model. :)

28-Aug-2022 03:19:44 - Last edited on 28-Aug-2022 03:20:15 by Dilbert2001

H 1 L D A
Apr Member 2020

H 1 L D A

Personally, I think Fresh Start Worlds will be a moderate success (at least insofar as generating revenue, we'll have to see whether or not their lapsed player hypothesis holds up. There's always time to make any necessary tweaks before running the event again if it doesn't.)

And that's where I disagree with Mod Kalaya. I believe RuneScape qualifies as a free-to-play game as you described. Players have literally been F2P for two decades, and subscription prices for those who chose to purchase them have carried Jagex this far for the most part (MTX does deserve -some- credit, but iirc the majority of income is from subscriptions.)

As for reading the tea leaves about Jagex's future flagship games, there may very well be a day when that game isn't called RuneScape. That doesn't mean my expectation as a consumer is going to change. I'll still expect RuneScape to receive somewhat regular updates, some that have the kind of quality like Archaeology (favorite skill!), and I'll still expect Jagex to do right by their playerbase.

If they don't, something you've said to me multiple times applies to myself. "Players come and go."

I wasn't bothered by the price hike recently - but I've seen it a handful of times at this point. Everything is expensive these days.

Maxed
- July 31st, 2022

28-Aug-2022 22:29:55

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Jagex can't be more free-to-play mainly because of the lack of monetization muscles unfortunately. Perhaps RS3 and Jagex new games to replace OSRS can be more or completely free to play in the future when OSRS runs its course.

29-Aug-2022 15:59:19

Quick find code: 16-17-743-66261009 Back to Top